Shea Moisture Collection Likes, Neutral and Dislikes

greenandchic

Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Shampoo
- Since I now shampoo my hair about twice a week, I've been experimenting with moisturizing shampoos that won't strip my hair. This shampoo cleanses and softens my hair. I also like the scent.

Coconut & Hibiscus Frizz Free Curl Mouse - It doesn't give any hold but its good moisturizer for my hair.

Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie - Strangely enough even though its not a popular product here, my hair likes this. I don't use it to "enhance curls" but its a good heavy moisturizer/sealer for my hair.

Coconut & Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk - (See the Transitioning Milk review below)

Coconut & Hibiscus Curl and Style Shampoo - (see the Manuka Honey Shampoo review above)

African Black Soap Purification Masque - I haven't used it since they changed the formula but I remember it giving me a lot of slip.

Raw Shea Butter Extra-Moisture Transitioning Milk - Its not the first leave-in I would purchase but its good in a pinch.

Neutral

Didn't Like
Raw Shea Butter Reconstructive Finishing Elixir
- It made my hair super greasy looking, even when I used a small amount.

Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Grow Leave-In - It made my hair super soft, but it left a dull film over my hair. I felt I needed to wash my hair right after using it no matter how little I used.

Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque - The same reason why no one else here likes it!

bklynbornNbred

Wish I had seen this before.

I recently ended my transition and have been trying to figure out what products to use. One of the reasons for the pushed up date is my two textures are very different and I was tired of them fighting.

First BOGO purchase

Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Mask: Not enough left to give it away but I won't be repurchasing. I've had better results with other deep conditioners. I've doctored it up after first use with other items I've used in past (clearing out closet) & the results were just meh. The common denominator was this conditioner. Now as I type this I'll just use to shave.

Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing smoothie: After all the hype I feel let down. When I smooth through my hair the curls are popping but once it dries it just poofed up terribly. No matter what I used it with same poof. I even used with eco styler gel and ended up washing it the next day because of the flaking. Going to give away.

So doing more research I see all these testimonials for Jamaican Black Castor Oil Line and since Duane Reade had BOGO I picked up the Strengthen Grow & Restore Treatment Masque and the Leave in Conditioner.

I have to preface that I also did a protein treatment so I'm not sure how that affected the results.

Treatment Masque: After the treatment masque my hair felt like it does after a really good deep treatment (I sat under dryer for 30 minutes. I'm finding with my low porosity hair heat does make a difference.)

Leave in Treatment: I then used the leave in treatment and twisted my hair (in preparation for braids). When I started to take twists down my hair looked so shiny and twists were defined I ended up leaving them in (I was too tired to start braids anyway) but the initial results were better than results I've had using other products with LOC method.

The scent is a little strong but so far the JBCO products I've used make up for the failure of my first Shea Moisture purchases. I've only used once so I'll come back with an update.

Since CON done changed the formula again I will try the shampoo for this line.

Update: I LOVE LOVE LOVE how JBCO makes my hair feels

HOWEVER

the scent is entirely too strong and when I use all three together I feel like I'm choking on the scent. I will use up what I have but will not be repurchasing. Any suggestions on alternative products that give the same results (Shea Moisture or otherwise) would be greatly appreciated. I'm sick of spending money on hair products.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I really wanted to like the Superfruit 10-N-1 line but I just didn't. The products didn't harm my hair but the smell makes me so nauseous because it smells like bleach cleaner. I'll probably use the shampoo too clean my tub. The conditioner with pump is good for co-washing but I had to put some oil in it to mask the smell.

CodeRed

Does anyone do the BOGO Free for this brand anymore? I'm noticing that it's usually BOGO a percentage off but not free anymore...

Smiley79

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE:
Manuka Honey line
High porosity line
Raw Shea butter shampoo....best poo ever!!! Super hydrating.
Purification masque... unfortunately it is too hard to find.
African black soap poo....Great reset for my scalp and excellent for my itchy scalp issues; 2x a month is all you need. I wish they made it in smaller bottle sizes.

Neutral:
Superfruit line- It didn't do anything for me but it worked well on my daughter's hair.
Jbco line-it works well on my daughter's hair;

Dislike:
Coconut and Hibiscus line especially the styling milk and the Curl enhancing smoothie...i will never understand the hype.

Last edited:

DST1913

Hair type 4C Transitioner

JBCO Shampoo - It really cleans my hair and scalp. I find it to not be too moisturizing as a transitioner so I wash once with it to get all of the product build up out then the second time use the moisture retention shampoo

Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo - At first I didn't like it because I didn't think it really cleaned my scalp well. My hair still dirty after washing. But I have found that if I use it after the JBCO shampoo it is the BEST! It leaves my hair very moisturized and helps with detangling. This will be a staple for me

Just OK

JBCO Conditioner - Just waiting to use up the bottle and find something else. It really doesn't do anything for my hair and it smells like playdoh

JBCO Treatment Mask - Just Eh. I tried it first as a pre poo as I saw a lot of people swear by it that way but that didn't work for me. So I used it as directed with a little heat and saw a difference that way. I'm going to use up my jar and then look for something else. Probably will try the purification mask.

Dislike

JBCO leave in conditioner - Does ABSOLUTELY nothing for my hair. I had might as well put nothing in it. It didn't moisturize, detangle, soften, NADA. I'm giving my jar away. I have found that Knot Today is my holy grail of leave ins.

Curl Enhancing Smoothie - Again did nothing. My hair always felt dry after using it. I know a lot of people that swear by it and I wanted to love it but my hair was dry and frizzy every single time I used it. I have replaced it with Camille Rose Twisting Butter and haven't looked back. Love that stuff!

JerriBlank

It's bogo 40% on Ulta's site

That's super weird. It was BOGO 40 for me last week, this week everything is showing up discounted already. Idk why that is ,sorry! Ok, I just checked and they're back to BOGO 40%. They were just marked down for a while.

Jade Feria

Like:
Curl Enhancing Smoothie - Great for defining curls without making them crunchy. When I use it as the "C", hair stays moisturized.

Neutral:
Curl & Style Milk - Good leave-in, but not enough to replace my KCKT.
Volumizing Conditioner - Didn't really see a difference in the thickness or volume of my hair using this. The smell is strong but I like it. I have a partially used bottle that I want to give away.
Thickening Growth Milk - Same as above. Worked well as a leave=in/moisturizer for my braids under wigs.

Dislike:
Deep Treatment Mask - this literally sat on top of my hair, did nothing for it. No slip, no detangling, nothing.

I haven't found any SM products that I'm particularly wild about. Because of this, I'm wary about trying anything else from them. They seem to have SOOOO many lines these days, and I ain't got that kind of time!