Naturals...Help for my greasy hair!!!

cclark1

I just started using aloe vera gel and a castor oil mix that I just love!!! It makes my curls just come to life. I have shine and curl definition. However, I don't want anyone touching my hair because it leaves my hair greasy to the touch. Can anyone recommend an all natural alternative? I want curl definition, and less frizz but without the greasy feeling!

Nonie

:lachen: I'm sorry to laugh but you remind me of a friend of mine who doesn't apologize for untouchable hair. It looks cute and she's happy it's greasy coz no one will be touching it again after they try once. LMAO

S Curl is my recommendation. Not the gel but the activator spray. It won't feel that great the day of your wash when you apply to damp hair, especially by the time your hair dries. But it will look cute. That night, apply some more, plait your hair to keep it from getting tangled going flat and put on a plastic cap. In the AM, you won't need to add anymore product. Just take out cap, undo and comb hair and style. Your coils will pop and have a nice shine. You hair will not be sticky icky but it will be soft and beautiful. You won't need to add product again. Just plait at night and baggy again. You'll have a blast with your hair.

ETA, when you use S Curl, be generous. Make sure your hair is well coated in order to see the coils pop.

Last edited:

almond eyes

Okay, my hair needs a lot of moisture and oils that is the only way the curls pop and the hair stays moist. My hair is as a dry as a desert and hard to style unless it is heavily saturated. I don't think there is a solution for this. Either have the crunchy hair that is dry and breaking or have it plied up with leave in and stuff and have it growing and thriving. I know there are some women who might disagree with me. My hair literally soaks up anything I put in it so the more the better. My hair looks very good after one week of all the oils and stuff. My friend in high school Cherlynn who was half black and Puerto Rican had very nice hair but she had to slick that stuff up with oils and butters. My only problem is that I am afraid of what any potential boyf's might think when they want to put their hands through my hair or I have to sleep on their pillow. They might get grossed out.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Nonie

Okay, my hair needs a lot of moisture and oils that is the only way the curls pop and the hair stays moist. My hair is as a dry as a desert and hard to style unless it is heavily saturated. I don't think there is a solution for this. Either have the crunchy hair that is dry and breaking or have it plied up with leave in and stuff and have it growing and thriving. I know there are some women who might disagree with me. My hair literally soaks up anything I put in it so the more the better. My hair looks very good after one week of all the oils and stuff. My friend in high school Cherlynn who was half black and Puerto Rican had very nice hair but she had to slick that stuff up with oils and butters. My only problem is that I am afraid of what any potential boyf's might think when they want to put their hands through my hair or I have to sleep on their pillow. They might get grossed out.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Awww... Now see, I never worried about that. I have always put something on my head at bed time. Never expected to look cute at bed time. Everything from a plastic cap, to a scarf, to one of those cute bonnets (<--that's when I was lookin' my hawtest :lachen: ). I guess it's coz I never had long flowing hair that it never occurred to me or anyone I was dating that running fingers through the hair is the done thing. :lol: There was a time I used Paltas BKC on my scalp and that's stuff as greasy as Castor oil. Had to wear a plastic cap just like you have to with a jheri curl, which just happens to be my favorite headdress for the night. My hair was always braided for the night too. So I never had to worry about all o' dat.

cerchier

OP,

Your hair doesn't have to be greasy and the tradeoff for non oily/greasy hair isn't hair that is dry or crunchy. Have you ever considered switching out oils? I don't use oils much but when I do I use grapeseed oil and it absorbs quickly with no greasy feel. I have don't use castor oil or aloe vera gel(the pure gel) but I know it's pretty popular with naturals. I really only use conditioner as leave-in and occasionsionally grapeseed and/or ic fantasia and my hair is soft, defined, and not greasy.

But I know all hair is different so, just in case you don't get more answers here, I'm sending you a pm where you should find them.

Miss*Tress

:lachen: I'm sorry to laugh but you remind me of a friend of mine who doesn't apologize for untouchable hair. It looks cute and she's happy it's greasy coz no one will be touching it again after they try once. LMAO

S Curl is my recommendation. Not the gel but the activator spray. It won't feel that great the day of your wash when you apply to damp hair, especially by the time your hair dries. But it will look cute. That night, apply some more, plait your hair to keep it from getting tangled going flat and put on a plastic cap. In the AM, you won't need to add anymore product. Just take out cap, undo and comb hair and style. Your coils will pop and have a nice shine. You hair will not be sticky icky but it will be soft and beautiful. You won't need to add product again. Just plait at night and baggy again. You'll have a blast with your hair.

ETA, when you use S Curl, be generous. Make sure your hair is well coated in order to see the coils pop.
Great tip, Nonie. I'm going to have to try this because when I wear my hair curly it does dry out really fast unless I apply some heavy-duty moisturizer and oils every day.

Last edited:

JustKiya

Have you tried the aloe vera gel without the castor oil?

:yep: Or, less castor oil in the mix? Or using less altogether? Or using it on wet/damp/dry hair (whatever moistness of hair you're not currently using it on, in other words :lol:)

Nonie

Great tip, Nonie. I'm going to have to try this because when I wear my hair curly it does dry out really fast unless I apply some heavy-duty moisturizer and oils every day.

My hair used to seem hard and dry. No matter what I'd do, it'd feel soft initially then be hard and dull looking later. I had that experience with Shea Butter and oils. So I'd slather on creams--whatever folks recommended--and my hair would be nice but later feel hard. When I decided to focus more on better conditioning and ACV rinses and using only S Curl (In other words, simplified my regimen and stopped trying 1967987 things at the same time), my hair responded beautifully.

I tried this on my mom. She's of the old school that believes in grease and what not. And yes, she's heat happy. Also she didn't know any better than to comb her dry hair not caring how much broke off. She'd just take off the broken hair from her comb and proceed to combing again (Brings memories of how I and everyone I knew treated natural hair before I learned from all you LHCF ladies :notworthy ). Made my eyes water to see her do this and my heart race coz I was sure any moment then she'd start a fire with all that friction noise. I couldn't get to her fast enough. I stopped her from combing her hair and begged her to hear me out. We shampooed her hair w/ Elucence Moisture Benefits and conditioned w/ Elucence Moisture Balance (hope I've got the names right). We didn't deep condition coz we didn't have a dryer handy at the time, but we did leave the conditioner in for a bit. Then I forbade her from combing her hair until it was well-covered w/ S Curl. And told her she could also comb in when wet and drenched in conditioner The difference in the look and feel of her hair was like night and day.

I'll try to see if I can enlarge the S Curled hair pic below w/o it becoming blurry. Otherwise I hope you can see the difference:

Old school regimen (Regular use of heat to straighten and curl, grease as hair balm, and combing hair when dry) regimen. Hair looked dull and felt dry and strands looked like they had no definite shape:

New school KISS regimen (Washing and conditioning with moisturizing products and using S Curl) results. Hair looked and felt very soft w/o being sticky and oh how beautifully her curls/coils popped! :love:

My mom now sleeps in a baggy and uses S Curl. And when she wants to wear her hair straight-ish with curls, she uses Curlformers w/o heat. She recently had a trim so I know her hair's thriving. She doesn't care for long hair but she's thoroughly enjoying the simple regimen. I'm ecstatic about this coz we all know, it's not easy to convince older folk of stuff we know. :grin: Oh, she also loves DCing under a dryer every once in a while. I'm so proud of her. :D

ETA: Enlarged pic of the S Curled hair:

Last edited: