Shea Moisture Collection Likes, Neutral and Dislikes

MissMusic

There are so many different types of Shea Moisture products out there, and I see so many mixed reviews, so I was hoping you ladies couple help me decide what to buy by telling me which products you tried and putting them in the categories of Like, Neutral and Dislike.

There are four lines for hair:

The Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Collection
-Brilliant Curl Shampoo
-Curl & Style Milk
-Curl Enhancing Smoothie
-Hold & Shine Moisture Mist

The Organic Raw Shea Butter Collection
-Moisture Retention Shampoo
-Restorative Conditioner
-Deep Treatment Mask
-Reconstructive Elixir

The Organic Yucca and Baobab Collection
-Thickening Shampoo
-Volumizing Conditioner
-Thickening Moisture Mist
-Thickening Growth Milk

The Organic African Black Soap Collection
-Deep Cleansing Shampoo
-Balancing Conditioner
-Purification Mask
-Dandruff and Dry Scalp Elixir

Now, what do you Like, Dislike, or feel Neutral about. Also, Shea Moisture is 10% Off at 143 Targets September 16-23, the list of stores is on the Facebook page.

THanks Ladies!!!!!!

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I've only tried & loved:

Restorative Elixir

I have the:

Purification Masque
Anti Breakage Hair Masque

*haven't tried either of these*

Last edited:

Iluvsmuhgrass

I like the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Shampoo. It's good stuff. The "moisture" mist is decent but only when used under something.

SEMO

So far, I've tried the:

- Curl & Style Milk (I liked how it made my hair feel, but it made my scalp breakout, so I had to stop using it)
- Curl Enhancing Smoothie (it worked okay, but seemed just a bit too greasy for me)
- Deep Treatment Masque (didn't like the smell and it seemed to just sit on my hair mostly and left it feeling a bit coated)

However, I am still interested in trying the Purification Masque. There are just SO many positive reviews on YouTube.

On another note, I've had much better success with using products from their sister line, Nubian Heritage, and Walgreens is having a BOGO-free until around the end of September. I've purchased 6 products so far and am trying to talk myself out of further hoarding.

Queensheba88

only tried the restoring conditioner...i think thats what its call in the pump after my first use my hair felt great after that it left my hair hard tried it on my baby girl same thing happened lush curls then the next cowash it did nothing and left her hair looking and feeling coated

Brwnbeauti

I use the thickening shampoo. I don't expect it to thicken my hair but is smells divine and lathers well. My hair always feels clean and moisturizer after using it. I don't know if it has thickened my hair.

SoopremeBeing

Love, love, LOVE the Curl and Style Milk!

I am neutral about the Anti Breakage Masque, but I will purchase another tub. I use it as part of my DC routine.

reeko43

The purification masque is my favorite product of the line. Luv Luv Luv! Detangles my hair reallly well, great on my scalp and if I don't have a lot of buildup, I can just use this as a one step wash/deep condish.

Coming up second is the curl and style milk. It is great for wash and gos and daily moisturizing

The moisture retention shampoo was ok, not a must have.
The moisture mist was a waste. I might as well use water. Will finish bottle and use bottle for my daily water refresher spray.

Deep treatment masque was awful as a deep conditioner. Matted my hair together. Not bad for sealing hair but I can seal with Vatika or my other favorite oils for much cheaper.

The curl enhancing smoothie sat on top of my hair and looked like it curdled. Will NEVER buy again.

NaturalEnigma

-Brilliant Curl Shampoo- I love this shampoo. It moisturizes and gently cleanses my hair.
-Curl & Style Milk - I use this as a leave-in. It has the consistency of a lotion. It moisturizes my hair and provides my hair with some hold. Great to use when you want to do a twist out or braid out.
-Curl Enhancing Smoothie- I didn't like the smoothie. The consitency was like puddy. It was too thick, and didn't moisturize my hair. I think it actually made my hair drier.
-Hold & Shine Moisture Mist- another bad product. It makes my hair extremely hard, it doesn't moisturize or provide shine.

-Purification Mask - provides great slip. I like to use this as a prepoo to help detangle my hair. I haven't noticed any different in my hair in terms of moisture or strength, so I probably won't be repurchasing this product.

chebaby

LOVE:
i love love love love the shea butter has masque as a leave in. it is almost ALMOST as good as curl junkie honey butta leave in. i love that stuff.

i also LOVE the black soap conditioner. it smells like ripe bananas:lick:

LIKE:
curl enhancing smoothie, its good stuff.

Ann0804

Moisture Retention Shampoo- It moisturizes my hair well and does not strip/dry it out.
Purification Mask- My hair loves this. It instantly removes tangles from my hair. I use it for pre poos, dc treatments, or to detox my scalp.
Anti-Breakage Masque- For my hair, this product offers a great source of protein, so I follow it up with a moisturizing dc. It smells nice.
Curl Souffle- I like using this product to style my hair in twists, and braids. It can be oily, but I have dry hair so it's not an issue for me.
Restorative Conditioner- I really like this conditioner as a leave in to detangle my hair. It leaves a nice shine to my hair and the moisture is long lasting. I've never used it as a rinse out conditioner.

Neutral:
Curl Enhancing Smoothie- The texture for me was just too thick and oily. I may revisit it again.

Ogoma

-Restorative Conditioner - this is probably the only Shea Moisture product I really like and will consider repurchasing at some point. Good slip and quite moisturizing.

Neutral
-Curl & Style Milk - hair felt good when dry, but awful wet; it was a bit greasy for me

Dislikes
-Deep Treatment Mask - hated it, it made my hair feel coated and crispy. I understand the formula has changed since I tried it so I may try it again.
-Balancing Conditioner* - great slip, okay on moisturizing, hate the smell
-Purification Mask* - Good slip; got buildup DCing overnight with this product; weighed down my hair using it co-washing; absolutely hate the smell

* would be neutral, but for that god-awful smell.

ETA: to follow instructions

Last edited:

Leslie_C

Omg...I can't believe my HG moisturizer aka shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie isn't getting any love in this thread! I love that stuff! It gave my transitioning hair life!

manter26

What I've tried is below. I think some things are missing from the OP list and I don't remember the exact names.

-Curl & Style Milk: Love it! Forever rebuy. My fave leave in.
-Curl Enhancing Smoothie: Just okay, could be without it.

-Deep Treatment Mask: hated it! Used it on my sister's hair it was okay, used it on my nieces 4B hair worked wonders for her as a leave in.

- Anti-Breakage Masque: putrid smell, love the product so far on my mini braids
- milk: smells the same. I might give it away without trying. seems the same as the masque- which I use as a leave in.

KittyMeowMeow

Raw Shea Butter Reconstructive Elixir:

A light, dryish, non-greasy oil, perfect for sealing flat ironed, relaxed (I'm transitioning, it was kind to my relaxed ends), or fine natural hair. Too expensive for and probably not effective for pre-pooing or other oil uses, but I loved it on my flat ironed hair, and the fine sections of my hair that always get weighed down with other oils. Pleasant, lightly floral scent. 10/10

Coconut hibiscus curl enhancing smoothie

Wasn't great for me- just ok. I get better results with my own shea butter mix. Lovely scent, thick texture. Could be a great product if it works for you. 7/10

Petite One

I like the curl smoothie but it seemed like I had to brush it for forever to get its white coating to absorb. I found out that if I left it alone it would eventually absorb but its not what you'd want to throw in your head right quick before leaving the house.

I like the deep treatment mask but it does the same white coating as the curl smoothie. Weird thing I noticed is that if I apply these products to wet/damp hair, my hair is bone dry before the end of the day. If I add them to dry hair, my hair still dries out but takes longer. With a bit of experimenting, I learned that if I add equal parts of Hawaiian Silky gel activator (the orange colored one) my hair is no longer dry and stays moisturized for a few days. And the white coating adsorbs much faster with the added activator gel.

I like the curl souffle but it doesn't take much to get sticky and greasy. But the shine was incredible!

The moisture mist was a complete fail. Water works just as good.

JBunnie

I've used:
Organic Raw Shea Butter Collection Deep Treatment Mask. I use it like I'm doing the Carol's Daughter Oil infusion Kit (except I put oil on top to seal too) Works great when my hair needs emergency moisture. It's a great natural (read no cone) deep conditioner. I'm not crazy about the smell but I get over it.

Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Collection Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I've used this to style like once. And it was such a rush job that I can't even have a real opinion on it. It's very thick and I like the smell. (I'm picky about smells) But because of the thickness I probably won't revisit the product until it gets cold down here.

Once I use those rain checks I got from CVS when they had the BOGO I'll be more versed in the products. (The Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Collection at least)

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I've only tried the Shea Butter range and I consider the masque, shampoo, and restorative conditioner staples. I will try the other products and perhaps the Nubian Heritage lines next year.

auparavant

Only the Curl Enhancing Smoothie thus far. I mix it with Curls Milkshake. Well, I love it and the smell!!! I want to eat the stuff. I love it much better than plain shea or any mixes I was able to make at home.

Fhrizzball

-Brilliant Curl Shampoo - didn't really cleanse and left buildup in my hair. Really moisturizing though
-Curl & Style Milk - love the smell and is a very good leave in.
-Curl Enhancing Smoothie - great for twists and goes well with gel. Leaves my hair soft for the next few days. A little goes a long way
-Hold & Shine Moisture Mist - might as well have used liquid air

-Moisture Retention Shampoo
-Restorative Conditioner - great also as a leave in and very moisturizing and slippy
-Deep Treatment Mask - too thick and not enough slip
-Reconstructive Elixir

-Thickening Shampoo
-Volumizing Conditioner
-Thickening Moisture Mist - okay but nothing special

-Deep Cleansing Shampoo
-Balancing Conditioner
-Purification Mask
-Dandruff and Dry Scalp Elixir

Satya_R

I'm a little iffy about Shea Moisture products - I've tried the Curl Styling Milk, Curl Enhancing Smoothie, the Deep Treatment Masque and the Moisture Retention Shampoo. So far, the only one that has wowed me is the Deep Treatment Masque (as a leave-in, it was a really sucky DC). That stuff left my hair soft and touchable for about 2 days straight! It's definitely worth trying.

The Milk was mildly moisturizing but wore off quickly and made my hair wayyy too poofy. The Smoothie is too thick and oily for my taste, it just sits on my hair no matter how I apply. The Shampoo was just okay, wasn't too stripping - but weirdly it felt like it left buildup and made my hair way too soft after only one wash. I had barely any curl def. after the last time and I'm scared to try again :(. What a waste of the whole bottle sitting in my bathroom.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
LOVES
Purification Masque--Excellent for taking buildup off the scalp. Good for softening and adding slip to hair. The tangles fall right out. It's a staple in my stash--I use it weekly.

Restorative Conditioner--This actually really softens and leaves my fine 4b moist for days. Though, I've found I have to leave it on ~5mins before it actually does anything. Terrible as a leave-in (too heavy, makes hair stiff with build-up)--but I'm in Love with it as a quick conditioner. Another staple.

Deep Treatment Masque
--Though it doesn't inject a bunch of moisture or really soften my hair it seems to help keep it strong. It doesn't have much, if any, protein. Seems to be one of the few DCs in the price-class that isn't stacked with protein. I'm super protein sensitive so keep this for that reason.

Neutral
Curl Enhancing Smoothie--My wet hair hates it. Just sits on top and does nothing. It's GREAT at softening my DRY twist outs without reversion after day 2. It just soaks into thirsty strands.

Last edited:

Ltown

Greyland
Love the curl and style milk. I tried others last year but my hair was damage and was weak so i didn't like them but i recovered and so will revisit. Its nice to have something on the ground that you can get.

MusicandWine

The Coconut and Hibiscus line is the only one I like. I don't love the smoothie but it worked nice when my hair was shorter, it worked really well to keep my hair moisturized and helped with clumping my curls together so I didn't need to use a heavy gel over it. The shampoo is great, doesn't strip or dry my hair out. And, the milk is pretty much a staple. I am trying out other hair milks and none really come close yet.

NikkiQ

I have tried these and absolutely LOVE these from the line:

The Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk and Curl Enhancing Smoothie- I love using both on my hair for twist/braid outs and to coat my hair for puffs and cute updos. Leaves my hair super soft and the smell... :love2:

The Organic Raw Shea Butter Collection Deep Treatment Mask- great for when I put in a set of Celies that I plan on leaving in for 2+ weeks at a time. Everytime I take my hair down, the shine and moisture is just ridiculous! Never used it as a DC before or a leave in. Just a styler.

One missing from the list that I absolutely love is this:

My sweet Jesus this stuff is the bomb.com!!! My hair sings everytime I use it. The consitency is similar to the curl milk so a little dab goes a long way. This will most def be a staple moisturizer for me. Love it!!