Shea Moisture Collection Likes, Neutral and Dislikes

BostonMaria

I like their Curl & Style Milk. I tried the shampoo that you use for co-washing, but it didn't really do anything different for me that Suave coconut conditioner does for $1.99.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've tried these products below...

The Organic Coconut & Hibiscus Collection
-Curl & Style Milk: OK I GUESS
-Curl Enhancing Smoothie: I LIKE IT, JUST BOUGHT SOME YESTERDAY
-Hold & Shine Moisture Mist: DID NOTHING FOR MY HAIR

The Organic Raw Shea Butter Collection
-Moisture Retention Shampoo: IT WAS OK

deidrerod

I've only tried three products:

- the Curl Enhancing Smoothie - LOVE LOVE LOVE it - makes my curls soft and defined - can't live without it
- the Curl and Style Milk - ummm........kind of a strange product to me - doesn't really do anything - no harm but nothing great either
- the Deep Treatment Mask - I did not like this at all. It wasn't very moisturizing to me and felt heavy and coated my hair.

I guess I should add that my hair doesn't really love shea butter which may explain why the Deep Treatment Mask didn't work for me........of course why the Curl Enhancing Smoothie DOES work and STILL contains shea butter is weird too but hey........don't judge us. :drunk:

JudithO

LOVE: The Yucca and Baobab Milk as a moisturizer (better than my Darcy Lemongrass HG)
Like: The African Black Soap bar soap to wash my body... the yucca and baobab spritz...
Hate: The shea butter masque... stinks...

manter26

What I've tried is below. I think some things are missing from the OP list and I don't remember the exact names.

-Curl & Style Milk: Love it! Forever rebuy. My fave leave in.
-Curl Enhancing Smoothie: Just okay, could be without it.

-Deep Treatment Mask: hated it! Used it on my sister's hair it was okay, used it on my nieces 4B hair worked wonders for her as a leave in.

The Organic Yucca and Baobab Collection
- Anti-Breakage Masque: putrid smell, love the product so far on my mini braids
- milk: smells the same. I might give it away without trying. seems the same as the masque- which I use as a leave in.[

Wanted to update this-
I got sorta used to the smell of the anti-breakage mask. It was okay as a leave in. I did not like it as a DC. It left my hair squeaky clean and not moisturized. I won't repurchase.

The Yucca leave in is nice. :yep: I did give it away but I swiped it back from my sister. It's not as moisturizing as the Hibiscus but it left my hair shinier than it. The smell is much lighter than the mask.

naturalmanenyc

-Curl Enhancing Smoothie - love the smell but it made my hair look ashy. I gave it away.
-Curling Souffle - great smell but didn't really hold for what is allegedly a gel. I gave it away.

-Moisture Retention Shampoo - left my hair clean but not stripped, not done with the bottle yet but would buy again

The Organic African Black Soap Collection
-Purification Mask - in love with this already after one use, lots of slip and used as a wash/conditioner with one step. It seemed have calmed my itchy scalp. I filmed it: http://youtu.be/StUxXTfsAgs

mshoneyfly

In love with the purification masque too. The rinse out balancing condish is really awesome too and the raw shea poo is a staple for me. I do my ayurvedic glosses with the raw shea masque all the time.

Lita

I like the new co-wash..Cleaned & moisturized..New-kids detangle conditioner,I use this as a lite leave-in..very nice..Gave a good amount of slip.

Happy Hair Growing!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
There are so many different types of Shea Moisture products out there, and I see so many mixed reviews, so I was hoping you ladies couple help me decide what to buy by telling me which products you tried and putting them in the categories of Like, Neutral and Dislike.

There are four lines for hair:

-Brilliant Curl Shampoo
-Curl & Style Milk
-Curl Enhancing Smoothie
-Hold & Shine Moisture Mist

-Moisture Retention Shampoo
-Restorative Conditioner
-Deep Treatment Mask
-Reconstructive Elixir

The Organic Yucca and Baobab Collection
-Thickening Shampoo
-Volumizing Conditioner
-Thickening Moisture Mist
-Thickening Growth Milk

The Organic African Black Soap Collection
-Deep Cleansing Shampoo
-Balancing Conditioner
-Purification Mask
-Dandruff and Dry Scalp Elixir

Now, what do you Like, Dislike, or feel Neutral about. Also, Shea Moisture is 10% Off at 143 Targets September 16-23, the list of stores is on the Facebook page.

THanks Ladies!!!!!!

I love the Organic Coconut and Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk and the Hold & Shine Mist. The curl milk is my favorite moisturizer of all time. Definitely a HG. Tried the shampoo and took it back....it was meh, not worth the $10. I like CON better. The Curl Enhancing Smoothie I did not like. I just couldn't make it work.

I thought I was gonna be wow'd and drop to my knees by the purification mask but I wasn't, it was not bad though. Not a repurchase.

I heard the Moisture Retention Shampoo was really good. Does anyone care to share how it compares to CON?

Guinan

Re-Branding
I purchased the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie. I can't wait to try it out on my braidouts. So far I've been using it to M&S with on my straight hair. B/c the product is so thick, I don't have to M&S as often.

secretdiamond

Only tried the Moisture Retention Shampoo, and I love it. Best shampoo I've tried since CON green label, IMO. Profectiv foam is great, too, but I don't really use that to shampoo alone-- only after a heavy protein treatment or stripping dandruff shampoos (and of course, neutralizing).

It leaves my hair clean, very soft, and turned my seb derm/dandruff scalp issues around! Who knew after all these years of using drying Tgel & Nizoral poos followed by Profectiv foam that I only needed this?!

It's definitely a staple for me now. Hope they never change the formula or discontinue. Not too fond of the smell though.

ravenhairedcharm

I dislike just about every Shea moisture product I've tried. The only exception is the purification masque.

Ok I lied, the moisture retention shampoo from the Shea butter line is nice. I don't get the detangling effect I get with the CON Argan oil, but it doesn't strip my hair so I like it. I will probably switch to this when I'm finished my two bottles of CON argan oil since they went and added cones to it.

The Manuka honey masque did nothing for my hair and the yucca and plantain masque tangled my hair badly.

I hate the hair lotions (yucca growth milk, plantain and yucca strengthening milk, jbco styling lotion) They make my hair feel soft when I first apply it, then it dries hard and crispy and makes my hair snap city.

I have a jar of the jbco masque which I think I will like, but I've yet to try it. As long as Shea moisture keeps making the purification masque I'll be happy lol

bklynbornNbred

Wish I had seen this before.

I recently ended my transition and have been trying to figure out what products to use. One of the reasons for the pushed up date is my two textures are very different and I was tired of them fighting.

First BOGO purchase

Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Mask: Not enough left to give it away but I won't be repurchasing. I've had better results with other deep conditioners. I've doctored it up after first use with other items I've used in past (clearing out closet) & the results were just meh. The common denominator was this conditioner. Now as I type this I'll just use to shave.

Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Enhancing smoothie: After all the hype I feel let down. When I smooth through my hair the curls are popping but once it dries it just poofed up terribly. No matter what I used it with same poof. I even used with eco styler gel and ended up washing it the next day because of the flaking. Going to give away.

So doing more research I see all these testimonials for Jamaican Black Castor Oil Line and since Duane Reade had BOGO I picked up the Strengthen Grow & Restore Treatment Masque and the Leave in Conditioner.

I have to preface that I also did a protein treatment so I'm not sure how that affected the results.

Treatment Masque: After the treatment masque my hair felt like it does after a really good deep treatment (I sat under dryer for 30 minutes. I'm finding with my low porosity hair heat does make a difference.)

Leave in Treatment: I then used the leave in treatment and twisted my hair (in preparation for braids). When I started to take twists down my hair looked so shiny and twists were defined I ended up leaving them in (I was too tired to start braids anyway) but the initial results were better than results I've had using other products with LOC method.

The scent is a little strong but so far the JBCO products I've used make up for the failure of my first Shea Moisture purchases. I've only used once so I'll come back with an update.

Since CON done changed the formula again I will try the shampoo for this line.

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-28_8-13-13.png
    upload_2015-5-28_8-13-13.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 4
  • upload_2015-5-28_9-11-14.png
    upload_2015-5-28_9-11-14.png
    19 KB · Views: 5

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
*Note: My hair like's decyl glucoside shampoos and most SM poos use that, so all worked fairly well for me. My hair prefers BTMS conditioners, and the SM products I used didn't have it so they usually failed.

From the pink, Coconut & Hibiscus line:
Shampoo: I like it diluted. Its a staple since my old HG SM's deep cleansing poo was reformulated.
Curl Enhancing Smoothie: Did nothing for me. Sat on my hair. Makes a great body lotion.

From black, African Black Soap (before the formulation and name change):
Deep Cleansing Shampoo: Loved it diluted. Cleaned without drying.
Purification Masque: Meh. Tried once, wasn't a keeper.
Conditioner: Fail. Ingredients weren't heavy enough for my hair, but also didn't soak in. The lightness kept it from feeling as bad as the curl enhancing smoothie, but it was still a fail.

From the yellow, Shea Butter line:
Shampoo: Used undiluted on my texturized hair. Liked it.
Conditioner: Gave my texturized hair slip, but didn't feel moisturized for long.

CodeRed

So is the purification masque formulation changing? I don't want to buy and like something that's not going to be available soon...

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
When I first started my hair journey, I used the Raw shea butter line exclusively for a year. I don't really recall how they all work but I do remember the stand out product of that line being the restorative rinse out conditioner. I just bought a few boxes of permanent color and included were travel versions of the shampoo, conditioner and oil so I'll be able to revisit them once I color.

I like using an entire line when I use SM products...to me they work better that way. Mainly the shampoo, conditioner, masque and style milk. I have no uses for any thing else in the lines. The rinse out conditioners are my favorites as they make bomb pre-poo treatments (especially with steam), leave in's and deep treatments with a hooded dryer after washing. The style milk...I like to make refresher sprays with. Pour about 10% in a water bottle, fill the rest with distilled water and boom...the bomb spritz!

At this moment, I'm using the Manuka Honey line...shampoo, conditioner and DC. Love each product. I'm out of the DC, but I've been using the rinse out as a DC until it's all gone then I'll move on to the coconut & hibiscus line.

The con for me with SM products:
1) The size. I need bigger sized bottles for all this hair on my head butttttttt the products are concentrated so you don't need a lot of product to get good results. Plus with all the BOGO sales, you can stock up without feeling guilty that you are spending tons of money
2) The smell gets sickening. Once I'm out of the product line I move to a different one to switch up smelling the same thing. When I'm around other people, I get compliments on the way my hair smells...but after about 2 months of me smelling the same smell, I'm like YUCK...it's time to move to a different line.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Those who have tried both the shampoo from the Coconut and Hibiscus line and the one from the Raw Shea line, which one is better?

ajargon02

My hair HATES shea moisture products. The only one that is meh is the styling milk. BUT I LOVE the argon oil mix they have. It smells good and keeps my hair really soft as a sealant.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Those who have tried both the shampoo from the Coconut and Hibiscus line and the one from the Raw Shea line, which one is better?

They both worked fine for me, too similar in performance for me to pick one over the other. If you have a Walgreens they should sell the travel sizes for both shampoos.

SheWalks

The Extra moisture detangler is my staple. It is the only leave in I've picked up that keeps my hair soft and moisturized all day right now. Feels weird when I first put it on out the shower but once my hair starts to dry I'm good to go.

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
Shea Moisture has a new Professional collection out. I have not tried it. Let me know your thoughts ladies.