Shea Moisture Collection Likes, Neutral and Dislikes

curlyhersheygirl

The purification mask was my all time favorite from SM. It gave consistent results and was an all in one product.

The coconut & hibiscus line and the yucca and baobab line were good. The only problem was that I got varied results depending on the weather and what other products I used.

I recently purchased the JBCO line to see if they'll work for me.

curlyhersheygirl

Those who have tried both the shampoo from the Coconut and Hibiscus line and the one from the Raw Shea line, which one is better?
@Dayjoy They're both good shampoos, that serves different purposes in a sense. The one from the raw Shea line is more of a moisturizing shampoo. The one from the coconut line was geared more toward strengthening and improving the elasticity of the hair.

mshoneyfly

I still use the raw shea masque to make my henna gloss. Sometimes I DC with it by adding oil and sitting under the dryer.

All of the rinse outs work great at detangling (and I have them ALL).

The manuka honey and mufura line gives major hydration. My hair seems to shine like gold when I use it.

The superfruit complex line gives good moisture.

The noni & monoi line is smoothing and strengthening.

I have to use their newest line (Zanzibar marine complex) a few more times to give a good assessment on what it does for my hair.

image.jpg

Last edited:

bklynbornNbred

If you're near a Walgreens and can get there before closing tonight they have Shea Moisture BOGO. They didn't have the JBCO shampoo so I got the Tahitian Noni & Manoi shampoo and the nourishing and repair mask (I'll edit to correct full name). I was halfway home before I realized I should have asked for a raincheck for the JBCO shampoo.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
If you are like me and hate the pump on the rinse out conditioner:

When you buy a shampoo & conditioner set, switch the tops. That way you can pump out the shampoo & squeeze out the conditioner. Cause aint NOBODY got time to be pumping 500 times only to get lil squirts of conditioner out.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
If you are like me and hate the pump on the rinse out conditioner:

When you buy a shampoo & conditioner set, switch the tops. That way you can pump out the shampoo & squeeze out the conditioner. Cause aint NOBODY got time to be pumping 500 times only to get lil squirts of conditioner out.
Thanks for this!

mshoneyfly

Thanks for the tip!! @lulu97

I added a little castor oil to the SM raw shea moisture retention poo when I poured into my hand when my hair was particularly rough and dry. It really softened the hair but still lathered nicely. Planning to try this with the Joico Moisture Recovery poo.

I will be trying the coconut hibiscus poo for the first time soon

shasha8685

My hair loves the Superfruit Complex 10 in 1 Renewal System Hair Mask. It's so moisturizing

I also like:
Moisture Retention Shampoo
Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Style Hair Milk ( loved it for bantu knot outs and braid outs)

Currently trying but liking so far:
Coconut and Hibiscus Shampoo ( I think it's great for summer. Doesn't strip my hair)
Coconut and Hibiscus conditioner ( I like it as a pre-poo. Not sure I'd use it for much else)

Hated:
Coconut and Hibiscus Curling Gel Souffle ( Hated the consistency and it make my hair sticky. Didn't hold nary a curl)
Raw Shea Deep Treatment Masque (My hair felt dry after using this. Works better as a leave in/ moisturizer)

MilkChocolateOne

I like the Jamaican Black Castor Oil shampoo. This is the only shea moisture product that doesn't irritate my scalp.

the coconut hibiscus curl and style milk is ok

I hate the curl enhancing smoothie, the soufflé, the moisture retention shampoo, the raw shea butter deep treatment mask and the tahitian noni line. Shea moisture makes my scalp itch. I'm afraid to try anything else.

Evolving78

That soufflé did nothing but add shine to my hair. Used it on damp hair under some ecostyler gel. I used it on my daughter's blown out hair and it added softness.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
image.jpg I think it's safe to say that I'm a Shea Moisture girl. I've abandoned all my other products and have used SM exclusively for the last 3 months and there is no turning back!

These are my favs along with my MoroccanOil hydrating masque and my 2 oils.

The coconut line is great for straightening along with the MoroccanOil Masque

The Superfruit & Manuka honey line is great for normal weekly washing/deep conditioning. (I also use the R/O & DC's as leave in's & moisturizers)

The anti breakage line has a nice shot of protein...not too hard...not too mild....just right.

The jet black color is beyond amazing!

Who needs medicine in the medicine cabinet, when you can use it for hair products?! :lachen:

Last edited:

CodeRed

So I've tried all the masques aside from the Purification and Dandruff ones and here's what I think... The stars of the line:

-Fruit Fusion Coconut Water Weightless Hair Masque
-Yucca and Plantain Anti-Breakage Strengthening Masque
-Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen Grow & Restore Treatment Masque
-Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Hair Masque

They all did what they said they were going to do. I was really, really pleased with the Fruit Fusion and Yucca and Plantain ones.

The one I was meh/neutral on was the Superfruit Masque. It didn't really do anything at all.

The ones that made me want to hurt someone were the Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque and the Tahitian Noni and Monoi Smooth and Repair Nourishing Hair Masque. Those things were so bad that they actually made me angry :lol: That Raw Shea Butter one was the first I used and almost made me never use anything Shea Moisture ever again. In fact, I was telling people not to buy their stuff because it was crap :lol:

The only other product I used was the kids spray detangler. That thing is a lifesaver and will probably be in my arsenal for as long as they make it. Love it. Makes my hair soft and detangles really really well on contact.

Last edited:

niknakmac

I love all of their deep treatment masques but I find that I need to use them before I wash for them to work effectively for myself and DD. Those treatments melt any tangles in my hair.

I love the Shea butter restorative conditioner. I use this after my wash and as a leave in.

SheaMoisture's Raw Shea Butter Extra-Moisture Detangler really helps to make my twists look nice and juicy.

SheaMoisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Curling Gel Soufflé is pretty good if your going away for a few days and don't feel like bringing any moisturizers. The only thing with this is that you can easily cross the line into using too much and then your hair will just be sticky. I hated this product when I first got it but after I learned how to use it I think it's ok. I don't use it all the time just once in a while. I am not sure if I will repurchase when I am done.

SheaMoisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie - I don't love this product I think it sits on my hair a bit too long before it absorbs. I prefer my own homeade shea butter mix. If I was stuck in a jam and didn't have my own mix available it would do the job until I got some. I would repurchase if I ran out just for emergencies.

The shampoos that I have tried are the Raw Shea Butter, and the Superfruit 10 in 1 I love them both and use them exclusively in my hair. The next shampoo I am going to try is the JBCO.

Overall I like SM's products and I hope they don't sell out.

When is the next BOGO sale?

Ulta has them Buy one get one 50% off this week and you can use your ulta coupon with them.

fatimablush

i am using the Intensive Hydratuin Shampoo and Conditioner- really perfumey.

has anyone used the haircolor yet?

Last edited:

AgeinATL

Their newer lines seem to work better for my hair.

Loves:
Purification Mask. LOVE it as a cowash. HG product.
10-in-1 Superfruit Complex Mask. SM finally got a mask right with this one. Leaves my hair very soft and fluffy.
10-in-1 Superfruit Complex Shampoo. This does for my hair what the Moisture Retention shampoo was SUPPOSED to do.
JBCO shampoo. Clarifies without stripping. Could easily use it every wash.
Their body products, especially their scrubs.

Meh:
The Manuka Honey Mask. It wasn't terrible but it just didn't moisturize my hair as well as I would have liked. I also don't like the smell.
The Yucca and Baobab Hair Milk. LOVED it when I was relaxed but it doesn't work for my natural hair.

Heck naws:
The Curl Enhancing Smoothie. My god how do people like that crap?!?
Moisture Retention, Curl and Shine, Thickening and Balancing shampoos. They ALL left my hair feeling stripped.
SM messing with my ability to get the original purification mask.

Curious to try more of the JBCO line (the leave-in and the mask) and the 10-in-1 Superfruit Conditioner.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I have but still haven't tried:
Super Fruit 10n1 Mask
Manuka Honey Mask
JBCO Mask

And of course lovin':
Purification Hair Mask (on dry hair)

Beachy

LOVE like no other
HG--Purification Masque was a weekly staple but I have stretched out my use to about monthly due to its decreasing availability. Truth be told I would pay 2 maybe 3 times what this sells for just to make sure I have it...it's that serious for me.

HG --10n1 Superfruit Masque by far the best deep conditioner I have ever tried!!! It absolutely melts my tangles away leaving my hair soft and strong. Paired with my Pibbs for an hour guarantees great hair!!!

10n1 Superfruit rinse out conditioner is my current leave-in. It picks up where the masque leaves off keeping my hair well moisturized and it plays nice with KCCC and Ecostyler gel

Curl Enhancing Smoothie is an oldie but goodie for me. It gives me moisturized plump twists for when I want to switch my buns up a little bit.

I have tried the JBCO Masque and the Manuka Honey Masque they were ok nothing special.

Aggie

I just used Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque and everyone was right about that crap. It was awful. I can tell from the moment I touched it, my hair was not going to like it. OMG! Firstly, it was runny, has a very high perfumy smell and it just sat there on my hair. I waited, and waited, and then nothing - a big fat NOTHING! I can't even cowash with it. Aussie Moist performed wayyy better than that. My niece might want to use it on her fully relaxed hair so I left it there for her to use up.

I guess I'm going to have to try the renewal and anti-breakage lines. The Yucca one seem to be okay also.

greenandchic

I just used Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque and everyone was right about that crap. It was awful. I can tell from the moment I touched it, my hair was not going to like it. OMG! Firstly, it was runny, has a very high perfumy smell and it just sat there on my hair. I waited, and waited, and then nothing - a big fat NOTHING! I can't even cowash with it. Aussie Moist performed wayyy better than that. My niece might want to use it on her fully relaxed hair so I left it there for her to use up.

I guess I'm going to have to try the renewal and anti-breakage lines. The Yucca one seem to be okay also.

Good to know the Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque is the same as it was when it first came out. Glad I didn't waste my time with it again.

missjones

Honestly I've only tried and really liked the curl enhancing smoothie.

I've tried the moisture mist spray, deep treatment masque and the shampoo but don't remember being impressed. I want to try some of the newer products at some point.

tru4reele

I'm done with Shea Moisture. Their products are hit or miss and I've never found a staple product from them and mostly miss. The latest thing I tried was their African black soap bar and my face reacted horribly to it. I usually use raw African black soap but tried theirs because it's easier for me to buy. Never again. Face was itchy and bumped up like crazy.

Neomorph

LOVES:love:
Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque
: This masque is everything for me. This is the best non-rhassoul clay treatment for my hair. My hair is super moisturized for days after using this product without being over-moisturized. It has a nice calming affect on my scalp, making it one of the few products with shea butter I can use without problem.Also I can easily detangle my extremely dense hair with this using both my fingers or a comb. I need to stock up on this.

Shea Moisture African Black Soap Purification Masque: It wasn't the best deep treatment by itself, but it's really good as co-wash with a bit of extra conditioning. I don't co-wash like that due to my scalp preferring to be cleansed by shampoo, but I like to keep some around on days where I can't spend time to do the full wash routine because of the clay. The first time I tried I must add, it inflamed my scalp really badly and I swore to never use it again. However for some reason I decided to bite the bullet and try again and that time nothing went wrong.

Shea Moisture Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Conditioner: It is really conditioning and has good slip. I used it one time after using the Purification Masque and my hair hair felt like straight butter! However I prefer the masque over the rinse out conditioner so that's the only thing keeping it from being on the love list.

Neutrals:ohwell:
Shea Moisture African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo
: It definitely helped keep the itchiness of the eczema at bay but didn't do as good of a job of clearing the flaky buildup as some other products I've used (Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat and Yes To Carrots! Scalp Relief).

Shea Moisture African Black Soap Dry Scalp Elixir: I bought it once when I went on a trip to see how it would work on my scalp between washes. It was okay, but pure aloe vera juice seemed to work better for me.

Dislikes :nono:
Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie: It made my hair feel really dry and caused a lot of buildup on my scalp.

Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo: Got this as a sample at a natural hair meeting at my school. SO GLAD I never purchased it. It stripped my hair but made my scalp feel absolutely horrible.

Shea Moisture African Black Soap Dandruff Control Masque: Whoever thought that taking out the Purification Masque in stores and put this crap in its place must have lost their minds.:badidea: The main appeal of the masque was the Kaolin Clay. Take that out and you have something that is not that good at all. It did help with scalp itchiness...for 12 hours.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
My new boo. Really kills my friz for great braid and twist outs. It would be elevated to soul mate status if it also contained reversion control:

Want to try the coconut hibiscus one but it contains glycerin. It would just poof my style.