Shea Moisture Reconstructive Elixir and Shea Oil

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Does anyone know if Shea Moisture's Reconstructive Elixir uses liquid shea butter or shea oil? I did not know there was a difference until I came across a post in another forum while I was looking for something else.

According to the poster, liquid shea (shea olein) is shea butter with the stearin removed (kind of like the process for fractionated coconut oil). Shea oil is the oil that is left after the butter has been pressed out of the nut. When I look at the back of the Shea Moisture bottle, it says "Butyrospermum Parkii Oil (Shea Butter)", but the elixir is a liquid, so it is clearly not just regular shea butter. My guess is that it is shea olein, but I wondered if anyone knew for certain.

TIA!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
It would have to be something to get it to remain in Liquid Form and be able to Spray out the way it does.

And it doesn't Solidify (when it's cold).

Now I'm doubting if Shea Butter is even an ingredient.

It is a good question.

mshoneyfly

Not familiar with this product but I love SM :love:

Which one is it?? Can I see a pic? Does anyone have a review of this product??

ETA: butters-n-bars sells this shea oil

I LOVE this HHJ!!

Last edited:

Lilmama1011

I would think it was shea oil because that's the first ingredient......... Butyrospermum Parkii Oil (Shea Butter) because shea butter is Butyrospermum Parkii and Oil follows it and not melted down shea butter

Last edited:

Mleah

OK, I just placed my bottle in the freezer to see if solidifies. I do know that if you add EV coconut to an oil that is always liquid, the coconut oil will remain liquified. I have a mixture of coconut oil,olive oil and wheat germ oil. It remains liquid at all the time. Get back to you on that bottle in the freezer.

Addendum: for what it's worth it has thickened a little after 2 hours.

Last edited:

Lilmama1011

OK, I just placed my bottle in the freezer to see if solidifies. I do know that if you add EV coconut to an oil that is always liquid, the coconut oil will remain liquified. I have a mixture of coconut oil,olive oil and wheat germ oil. It remains liquid at all the time. Get back to you on that bottle in the freezer.

When I did coconut oil and jojoba oil, it still became solid

uofmpanther

Here is a pic:

Funny thing is, the Target website lists it for $9.99. I buy it for $2.98 at my Target, and half that when they have a BOGO. I probably wouldn't buy it at $9.99

Lilmama1011

Here is a pic: Funny thing is, the Target website lists it for $9.99. I buy it for $2.98 at my Target, and half that when they have a BOGO. I probably wouldn't buy it at $9.99

I always wondered was online and in stores diff, but they always tell me idk, I guess not to give me any further info and cause me to spend more by taking a risk and do whatever I wanted to do

uofmpanther

I always wondered was online and in stores diff, but they always tell me idk, I guess not to give me any further info and cause me to spend more by taking a risk and do whatever I wanted to do

Lilmama1011 - I think the Target closest to me has it mismarked because another one had it for $9.99. However, they've had it for $2.98 for at least a year. If the price is wrong, I hope they don't change it.