Sew-in weaves....

Karonica

May I ask what type and brand of hair was used for your weave? It looks great.

Honeychild11

Okay, I've heard that while you had your hair in weave/ or braids..it's really important that you take care of your hair as you normally would. I have had individual braids, and I kept my hair moisturized, and I experienced very positive growth. Remember to take your vitamins, helps to combat possible damage.

Model Chick: I see that you have 4A, so when you are wearing your hair in a curly/natural state...how do you usually set your hair?

model_chick717

Honeychild--well, in all of my photos where my hair is curly/bushy,except for the one that I specified my hair was air-dried, are actually rollersets. Most of the rollersets are with small magnetic, snap-on rollers--the pics where the curls look really tight were with flexirods. Most people don't really think my rollersets are actually rollersets I think because of my hair being texturized, my rollersets tend to kind of bush out on their own a bit.

TeeRoc

Model Chick 717,
I just read that you use "Do Me Platinum" Yaky weave hair, Do you get that in a beauty supply or order online. I saw your pictures and your weave is bang'in! I've been trying for months to find yaky hair that doesn't tangle and looks natural. Can you tell me where I can buy this? I live in Washington state so if it's in your area maybe you could give the phone number and I can order from them. Can you also tell me what is your maintenance regimene? Thanks!

model_chick717

TeeRoc--the brand of hair I use I get from a beauty supply here in Indianapolis. There's nothing too spectucular about this brand--it's pretty much what all the beauty supplies carry here in Indy. The brand is "Do Me"--but the platinum line is the better quality of that brand. I'm not really very particular about the brand of hair, since I I do my sew-ins myself, I'm not forced to try to make it last a particular amount of time to get my moneys worth. haha The beauty supply that I buy from is called "DJ Beauty Supply"--but I've found a website that has the same name--but I'm not sure if they are related but you may check it out...

Anyway, as far as maintenance, I wash my weave about once every week and a half. I massage my scalp just a bit with the shampoo--but not too much because I don't want to loosen the corn rows underneath. I usually do this at night, so that after I've washed and conditioned and sat under the dryer for about 30 minutes--I can go to bed and wake up to completely dry hair. I do this because it can take a while for the cornrows underneath the weave to dry completely. Hope this helps!

My photo album DJ Beauty Supply

dstdiva

model chick,

how do you condition? i just got a sew-in a couple of weeks ago. my stylist told me not to use conditioner.

model_chick717

Well, I condition my real hair that is left out to cover the tracks when I wash--but there's not really an easy way to condition the hair underneath, except for when you wash the weave, spraying leave-in conditioner onto the braids underneath before drying your hair. Other than that, I just deep condition my hair everytime I take a weave out--and try not to go longer than 4-5 weeks with the same weave. Did that make sense?

Lorraine

Model,
I had a weave for a LONG time. What worked for me was keeping it in no longer than 3 months at a time, then trimming it and having it deep conditioned. My hair was really damaged -- not to mention I love crimping my hair so the weave saved me from damaging my hair. In addition,
I made sure my stylist cornrowed my hair in large braids and I made sure my scalp was never dry.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Chanteuse

Model Chick,
I just took a really good look at your album and your weave is banging! I love your big fro looks as well. I'm texturized also but my hair's not quite as long as yours.

My question is, being texturized, how do you keep the part of your hair that's left out straight? I find that when I try to leave my hair out it reverts at the first hint of humidity and I have to keep straigtening it w/ my flat iron.

You've really got me wanting a weave now when I was all ready to get some braids in a few weeks!!

TIA

model_chick717

Hey Chanteuse...I do straighten (with a curling iron) my real hair that is covering the weave. Most of the time it stays pretty straight but maybe every 2 or 3 days I may run the curling iron over it again. Just make sure at night you sleep with a scarf on and it should stay pretty straight...

Chanteuse

Thanks, I think I'm going to try that for a while instead of the braids. I've been lusting after straight hair for a while and this should do the trick. Too bad the Beauty Supply Store isn't open on Sundays . . .

ccd

Model chick- your hair is beautiful, I was looking at your album from another post......keep up the great work!

kaykay

I love this thread! I really needed all this info. It is crazy that I had been wearing sew ins for a long time now and still didn't take care of them.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
how do you keep the hair thats covering the weave from getting damage and how do you get to blend? do you have to heat it everyday??

you make me want to try weaves again

kaykay

I don't add heat everyday, I probably do it once or twice a week. I moisturize that part really good though so it doesn't really damage. It just grows alot slower.

model_chick717

That is probably the only real downside to wearing the sew-ins--the fact that I have to use heat on my real hair that is out covering the weave. I try to change the weave style with each weave, i.e. middle part, side part, going back...so that one section of hair isn't getting the heat styling with every weave...

model_chick717

That is probably the only real downside to wearing the sew-ins--the fact that I have to use heat on my real hair that is out covering the weave. I try to change the weave style with each weave, i.e. middle part, side part, going back...so that one section of hair isn't getting the heat styling with every weave...

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
ahhhh, such an expert model chick. one more question. how do you just condition one part of your hair?? do you put a cap or something on the rest?

hmmm, might have to give this a go round again

Ebony

I usually get mine every summer, May being the earliest, but I think I'm going to get busy with it early like, end of Feb, early March. My initial experience 5-6 years ago because i was vacationing all summer and didn't want to be bothered although i do wash n go's. i found that the growth was an added benefit, although weaves aren't for everyone. I am also happy to report I am finally creating pic albums & should be posting pics this weekend--weaves included. Here are some convo's/experiences that may help you as well:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/s...&PHPSESSID=

model_chick717

Thx for the threads Ebony!

Honeydrop--I assume you're referring to when I said that sometimes I just wash and condition my real hair at the top sometimes as opposed to the entire weave? Well, my real hair is at the top and front of the weave and basically in the shower I just lean my head forward to wet and then just shampoo and condition the front and edges. I don't use a cap or anything--I mean, there's no full proof way to insure that some of the weave won't get a little wet, but it's no big deal, because after, I sit under the dryer for about 20 minutes--re-straighten my hair with a curling iron and I'm done!