Sew-in weaves....

model_chick717

I was just curious...has anyone out there used sew-in weaves as a "protective" style? Did it seem to protect your hair/encourage growth?

AngelaP

I had sewn-in weaves for the majority of last year. I only got touchups two times last year and it really helped my hair. And unfortunately, I didn't even take care of my hair while I had the weaves in...so the health and growth could have been much more.

I think if done properly and taken care of properly it can give your hair a rest from daily styling and abuse and help it grow.

I'm currently wearing a sew-in weave and I love it. Its a great protective style and can help you retain a lot of your new growth. I'm going to keep weaving for the 4 months and I'll see how much growth I retain. I'll post pics soon of my hair style.

HotCoCoGurl130

i did have one in and i will use it again as a protective style. you just have to take care of your hair underneath and it will not break off. if you dont ass moisture then you will have a dry mess of hair when you take it out.

Ditto HotCoCoGurl130!

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
i had one, and while it made my hair grew, i just detested it. i never ever ever liked weaves, so to get a sew-in was a big accomplishment for me. it just isnt me, its too fake.

Ayeshia

I know this girl who got tons of growth, but at the same time her edges broke off. So it was a win loss situation.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
not to mention that the stupid thread was hard as hell to find and take out when i taking the tracks out

model_chick717

Thx for the responses. I was just curious. I've had sew-ins before and though I got major growth--I wouldn't necessarily say that it was healthier...but then again I neglected my ends (i.e. getting trims) while wearing the weaves for extended periods of time. My hair is past my shoulders and is really thick and I'm just needing an alternate style where I don't have to touch my hair for a while. I do have a perm, though it seems to be more "texturized" then permed.

I don't really have a hair album--but I have an online album with a bunch of pics if anyone wants to take a peek...

My photos

Mariaat40

Modelchick I don't have a response to your weave question but I have a couple of questions of my own. Do you know how long the relaxer is left on your hair for your texturizer? I love the way you can go from a fro to straight hair. And do you happen to know your hair type? Your hair seems to be much like mine. You're just lovely by the way.

model_chick717

Thx Mariaat40!

My hair is 4A, and I've been using Elast QP Regular perm as long as I can remember. I do it myself, and I leave it on like 5 minutes--not including application time. I usually touch-up every 10-12 weeks. Also, I hardly ever wear it bone-straight. I rollerset mostly--or wear in a bun--air dried. If I want "straight" hair--I'll set on large rollers--other than that, I might get a sew-in (straight) weave.

Mariaat40

Thanks for the response. Our hair types are the same but my hair is fine - with lots of strands. As I get close to my goal I wonder what's next. All this talk about transitioning makes me consider it but I work out several times a week and wash my hair after each workout. I'm just not sure how I would wear my natural hair. You hair seems like a nice in-between option.

carrie

I am sporting one now. I am having good results. I wash 1-2x a week depending and I take it out every 5-6 weeks and deep condition/trim ends. I just got it redone and my stylist was commenting on my growth. The first time I did it I let the salon remove it. I think the shapoo girl was a little inexperienced and trried to rake a comb thru the new growth. No I just take it out myself. I am more patient w/my comb out process.

I did notice a little breakage around the edges, but I think part of it was from my over use of heat trying to blen the hair. I changed the hair and I didn't have to work so hard to blend. Now I have bangs so the majority of my hair is covered.

Whisper

Yes I love sewn in weaves, your hair is left alone, I definitely see growth with the weaves.. My hair doesn't rip or break with the thread. I always leave my edges out so they don't break

model_chick717

Blaxalrose--me too, the hair (my own) that I use to cover the weave is a little shorter than the rest of my hair, but that hair is more in the front so it's more of my bangs as well. Luckily, I've never had a problem with itchy scalp or dandruff so that hasn't presented a problem...oh, and thx for the compliment...

Mariaa40--Yeah, I think my hair is kind of in an "in-between" state, and that's what I like. I went natural a few years ago because I wanted what I thought would be "wash and wear" hair because like you, I like to work out. Well, surprise--I found out that natural 4A hair is not usually wash and wear and could even be more work than a perm or texturizer. But I do admire all the women out there who are natural.
Anyway, you should check out:
www.curve-salon.com
and click on Before/Afters....it shows ALOT of different texturized styles--with a lot of different types of hair.

Karonica

I wear them, but not so much for growth, but when I feel the need to put my hair away because of thinning, or whatever problems I'm having. The first time I wore a weave, I got a TON of growth out of it, even though it was only 3 weeks. I don't wear them longer that that because of scalp issues, and because I miss playing in my own hair after awhile.
I'll probably be doing another soon because of the weather. Right now, I have my hair in 2 fat cornrows with the help of kanekalon hair for some bulk, and made into a huge bun in the back.

model_chick717

Karonica--that sounds like a nice protective style! I don't usually do fake ponytails or buns because my hair isn't permed "silky straight" so it doesn't usually match--but I forgot that the kanekalon is kind of "textured"....hmmmmm I may have to try something similar to your style--Thx!!!

Karonica

I am loving it.
I just plaited the 2 cornrows all the way down to my waist and formed a bun with them. Looks nice on my big head.

caralexis2005

ooh, your hair is too cute just like you! sorry to hijack your thread but how do you put in your texturizer? I want to start doing it too!

Nay

Hey, I checked out your photos. You and your friends are some nice lookin' sistas! And I like how your hair is so versatile.

model_chick717

Thx Nay and caralexis!

Well when I first started, I had know intentions of "texturizing" my hair. I thought I was giving myself a normal relaxer. I decided to start relaxing my hair myself because I'd had too many bad experiences with hair salons. So really I was perming my hair--just not good enough because I was impatient and wouldn't let it sit on my hair long enough. Anyway, I basically touch-up my hair every 12 weeks--longer than that if I'm wearing sew-in weaves as a protective style which I've waited up to 26 weeks (yikes!)--I just apply the relaxer to my new growth with my fingers (covered by gloves of course)and once it's fully applied, I comb through the new growth carefully with a rat tooth comb and sort of smooth it down. I let it sit about 5 minutes. I use Elasta QP Regular relaxer--and if you look at the size of the jar which I think is suppose to be about 2 applications--I can get about 3-4 touch-ups out of it, so obviously, I'm not really using alot of it either. Hopes this helps!

Armyqt

Great Hair Model Chick. I love it.

Since we're discussing weaves here, I have a question. If one were to get a curly weave, would it hold up to rinsing a few times a week without messing up the weave. Also, if this is possible, what's the best kind of hair to get?

model_chick717

Well in my past experiences with curly hair---it can get old, tangled/bushy looking really fast and once you start wetting it to maintain the look, you'll have to wet it everday after that to "refresh" it. The longest I've kept curly hair in is 3 weeks versus 6-8 weeks with straight weave. BUT--if you don't see yourself wearing a weave longer than about 3 weeks anyway, then it would be okay. I only use human hair and the curlier the hair the quicker it starts getting tangled. Hope this helps!

model_chick717

By the way---at the moment I'm wearing a sew-in, straight, parted in the middle. It's getting harder for me to wear them because my hair is growing and it's getting more and more difficult to hide my real hair underneath. Anyway, I just uploaded a pic that I just took with my camera phone to my photo album for those out there that think that weaves look unnatural. Most people can't distinguish my sew-ins from my real hair when it's straightened... (it's the very last pic)

My photo album

Armyqt

Your weave does look nice. Thanks for answering my question. I wasn't planning on wearing the weave over 4 weeks at a time.