Do any of you ladies agree with Shima about hair can't grow with weaves?

BostonMaria

Shima is addressing the women that are dependent on weaves. Here on LHCF there are many women that use weaves for versatility and protective styles, but IRL most of the women I've seen with weaves won't wear their REAL hair out even if you put a gun to their head LOL I can think of 3 women I know IRL that haven't worn their real hair out in 5 years. I also know that these 3 women do not care about the real stuff growing out of their scalps. One has a balding nape and sides, but refuses to stop weaving it up.

supermodelsonya

aww thanks.
I really do believe knowledge of hair care is important because if I didn't know better, I think my hair wouldn't thrive as much even though my stylist does a great job. With that said, it's up to the owner of the head to take care of their own hair. I think the issue is that most people that wear weave don't maintain their hair underneath, causing damage, & therefore leading to the assumption that all weaves are the culprit. Hair not taken care of in any situation, protective style or not, could become damaged.

I'll honestly say when I began wearing weaves, I retained more hair than when I just bunned & no my hair didn't become thin and damaged. Not everyone's hair weakens. I take breaks in between weaves and I do fine.

I just feel that when it comes to hair care it doesn't make great sense to believe there's a be all end-all. Lots of different techniques work for some and doesn't for others. Because Shima claims that weave i hurting everyone's head of hair doesn't make it fact, it's really just an opinion and same goes for those in this thread who agree, it's an opinion. We've seen differently. Regardless, with whatever people decide to do to their hair, they should do research first.

Thanks for saying that! My hair gets STRONGER with wearing weaves.

1.It's really in how you take care of your hair while you're in an install

2. What you do after you take the install down,

3. How competent your stylist is when she puts the weave in your hair

4. And taking the install down so that you don't lose any hair.

Those four elements ARE CRUCIAL to retaining length when you're in a weave.

My siggy explains it ALL. I've never retained more growth bunning and using other protective styles.

Shima is addressing the women that are dependent on weaves. Here on LHCF there are many women that use weaves for versatility and protective styles, but IRL most of the women I've seen with weaves won't wear their REAL hair out even if you put a gun to their head LOL I can think of 3 women I know IRL that haven't worn their real hair out in 5 years. I also know that these 3 women do not care about the real stuff growing out of their scalps. One has a balding nape and sides, but refuses to stop weaving it up.

That is so true (to the bolded) IMO its because they haven't been taking care of their real hair that it becomes so jacked up that they depend on the weave to hide their hair :perplexed

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
its sad that we are known for weavin it up so much. dammm. weavesssss ahhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i hate it. i really really doo and i think its sad and it makes US look bad

(talking about the majority that dont care for or wear their own hair EVER)

Last edited:

honeybuni84

honestly i can say i do nothing to my hair while its in a weave... i may wash the weave and my hair but that's about it... no mtg, no oils nothin.. I think natural oils are enough to keep my hair well done. but i think my hair does best when i do absolutely nothing to it.

I don't think it will turn thick hair thin and thin to nothing... i am pro weaves...

*Michelle*

SHIMA IS BACK??!! roflol!

Michelle was here...

ETA: I'm trying to figure out why people think they need ANYTHING EXTERNAL to grow their hair?The real question (for most) is how to RETAIN that growth??

Barring medical reasons hair WILL grow, period. If you do things like eat healthy, high protein diet, excercise etc you will maximize your own personal growth rate to its fullest potential. And vice versa, is true as well.

Last edited:

hillytmj

I think the answer depends on a person's goal. My hair grew very well when I wore a weave, but my 100% intention with wearing it was to grow my hair. I think the low manipulation enabled me to have good retention. I have to also note that during the entire time that I was wearing the weave, I was getting a weekly shampoo and condition at the salon, airdrying and taking it out every 8 weeks so it wouldn't dread or lock.

On the other hand, I think some people like to wear weaves for convenience and aren't necessarily trying to grow their hair.

So after listening to the first video listed in this post, it sounds like Shima is addressing her message to women who want to grow their hair but have damaged it severely after wearing weaves for too long? Or maybe she's talking to ladies who are saying, "your techniques don't work" but they refuse to get out of the weave? I don't know.

Last edited:

*CherryPie*

Shima makes a lot of sense. She knows a lot about hair, and her hair is absolutely gorgeous!

It's just that she has a bad reputation on here that makes people not take her advice seriously. But the girl knows her stuff.

I can't see how anyone would take her 'advice' seriously. :look:

casey3035

Shima is a little :spinning: but she means well, in a Shima-land kind of way
Weave are fine, I had them for year without the intention of growing my hair but thats exactly what it did!
LOL I like shima but she is quite special...you are so funny "Shima is a little:spinning:"...LMAO right now! "Shima land" LOL:yep:

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
i don't know why a shima thread was created....these threads never stay open. and no i don't agree w/ her. what works for some may not work for all, she would know that had she opened up a lhcf accout...or actually used it if she does have one. but ignorance is bliss. some folks may know it and just refuse to accept it.

and yes, divad04 was here in 2010. where's the popcorn stand?

I believe the popcorn is this way......

MaintaintheSexy

I was reflecting on this earlier as I reminisced on the amount of money I have spent on sew in weaves. From April 2005 up until Summer 2009, I have worn sew in weaves the majority of the time. I would get them done every month or month and a half. Each time I would remove the install, whether I did it myself or the beautician did it, I noticed that my hair was not improving whatsoever. I figured that it was due to the fact that I wasn't taking care of my hair underneath the weave. Honestly, I didn't know how. When I had an epiphany some time in 2008, I would apply castor oil to my scalp via a color application bottle. This is the only time that I noticed growth, but I also noticed my edges were getting thinner and thinner. Towards the end of my phase with weaves I came to the sad realization that they did not benefit my hair in any shape, way or form. When I began to take care of my hair myself and stopped wearing weaves for 2-3 months, I noticed that my hair was much thicker and fuller than ever before but I was dissatisfied with my hair length and I began to have visions of 'long, pretty weaves" and I got another install. When I took that out a month later, I noticed my hair was so thin and it looked very unhealthy. At that moment, I decided to no longer put weaves in my hair because it was doing more harm than good.

Last edited:

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I don't think hair grows to it's optimum potential w/ weaves. It may grow long but it seems to thin out and/or cost too many edges. The margin for error on weaves is quite low...too many things can and do go wrong for too many people (ie unintention dreads, breakage, etc). IOW, I have some agreement w/ Shima on this matter :yep:

I completely agree, especially about margin for error.

I have seen weaves and wigs backfire as a protective style more than I've seen success stories.

While I agree that retention and hair health is up to what the person does with the hair under the wig/weave, but I think you gotta be doubly and tripley on top of making sure your regimen is tight if you're going to go this route.

It seems to be very easy to focus on making the fake hair look good and forgetting all about the real hair.

Natirelle

SHIMA has a video stating she doesnt hate weaves....

but anyways i think OP you should do some experimenting on your hair, and find out whats right for you.:yep:

BTW Andrea was here:lachen:

Its simple, weaves can work for some and not for others. Also depends on how you treat your hair under during wearing it and how tightly/finely braided it is etc.... Ive never had a full head weave but I have had track extensions with the majority of my hair left out in between and on top and those tight braids did a number on my hair and scalp. I really feel like puking to think about the tight braided corners on my scalp and how red, tender, and flakey theyd become :barf: :nono: My hair cant take chemicals or any other heavy duty procedures, it just needs to..be... I have seen ladies on here and other places whos hair flourishes with weave. You just have to try it and see, i suppose..

Also a more serious side effect of weaves than just loss of length retention is hair loss at the root due to traction and I do think thats bound to happen to some extent no matter how small from braiding so its probably not the greatest idea if it can be avoided.....

Last edited:

angenoir

I think thinning of the hair is a big risk. I know because I use sew-ins as a protective style. And that is why I think it is important that when you are getting the weave installed you have to be sure your hair is healthy and strong. If the strands are too weak thinning will occur. That is why good weavolgists will always recommend a protein treatment before and ensuring that your protein-moisture balance is on point. Also a good weavologist will not weave up damaged brittle hair as this will just make it worse.

At LHCF most of the ladies are already focused on good hair care practices and that is why their hair thrives even when weaved up. But most ladies out there are not aware of this and think they 'need' the weave to 'make' their hair grow :nono:... and that is when disaster strikes.

serendipity

In my experience weaves have done more harm than good. I've experienced major setbacks with weaves. They leave me with a layered style as I get good length and thickness in the back of my hair while the front/crown makes no progress and thins out. This year I'm abandoning weaves altogether. I've purchased 2 pretty wigs and will be rocking those instead. :yep:

Bella02

I disagree with her. Being on this board has taught me one thing, what works for one does not work for all. Weaves have definitely allowed me to retain growth over the last year-- results are in my fotki. I think key to growth and retention is knowing what’s best for your hair and adapting a regimen accordingly.

mscocoface

What she should of have said was if you continue to wear weaves and not care for your own hair it will have a negative effect, but if you are using it for a protective style and maintain healthy hair practices your hair can grow.

She knows just enough to be dangerous. As a rule for me, when I hear anyone spouting off about what is good and what isn't regarding haircare I ALWAYS go to multiple sources, like you have just done.

It has kept me from causing some serious problems with my haircare journey.

Research, research, research!