Do any of you ladies agree with Shima about hair can't grow with weaves?

Blue_Berry

I always been anxious about getting a sew-in. I seen some people hair grow out using weaves. I am unsure now about weaves being a protective style. Shima videos are trying to convince me not to get a sew-in. This worries me a little bit. Has anyone had success with growth using weaves on your hair? Do you agree with what Shima says about weaves?

Here are some videos on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz5MZ72jous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ZTUAWAP5c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm5MK8UuIvk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfYbITg0znQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ULgdsPZAhA

Last edited:

dlewis

I believe hair can grow with anything, it's retaining the length that's always the issue. Most people I see in real life with weave always ALWAYS have thinnish hair after removing the weave. I've seen women here who retain length and their hair look to be as thick as before.

I'm terrified to use weave myself because I see what it has done to my family members.

ETA: I didn't watch her videos. Her voice does a little something to me.

I'm not exactly a newbie but i'm not a veteran either...but one thing I have learned on LHCF is that anything attatched to Shima shouldn't be discussed on this forum. There's a lot of history behind it...And no she is def wrong, you can if you care for your hair underneath it. That's how i transitioned from relaxed to natural and it helped alot!

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I have two words: Ediese and Reniece.

If you take care of your hair in the sew-in and get them done properly, there shouldn't be issues.

jaszymeen

No. That's my staple protective style. That's how I grew my hair back in a year after cutting it all off.

silvergirl

depends on your hair, i know mine can't. thats the reason i found this board in the first place. i lost almost 6 inches with my first and only weave.

however some ppl can like RENICE has grown out her own hair and many ppls with weaves successfully. also please make sure you know your "weaveologist" sometimes the damage comes from the weave being put in wrong/rough with no respect to your hair.

tash85

Shima is a little :spinning: but she means well, in a Shima-land kind of way
Weave are fine, I had them for year without the intention of growing my hair but thats exactly what it did!

OMG chaosbutterfly your video had me on the floor! i had to look it up on youtube and it's funnier in real time and to watch both women's faces! thanks for the laugh!

melissa-bee

I haven't watched the video, and i don't do weaves. But hair is gonna grow regardless as long as you take care of it, and in some peoples cases sometimes when you don't.

beans4reezy

Why would you listen to someone else (particularly Shima) about how your hair can or cannot thrive? Everything is not for everybody; some people have successfully grown out their hair with weave and others have not. You wont know until you try one out for yourself and you make an assessment based off of what you've experienced, not what Shima says.

camilla

I do not agree with alot shima sayswhile she is right about detangling and protective styles she gets ALOT of what she says from the hair forums AND she still has ALOT to learn i am new to weaves (this year) my hair has grown ALOT with half wigs and weaves because of the low manipulation.

here are the rules to grow your hair under weaves

1 thou shalt not treat weave hair better that your own OR use constant heat to blend (use heat once a week then pin curl or wrap the leave out nightly OR you cat set the leave out on rollers then blow smooth or wrap to lay down)

1b moisture moisture moisture spray your own hair every night people have breakage because their hair is dry like the sahara under that weave keep your hair moisturized!

2 deep condition as usual under heat cap once a week i spray my hair with my mix EVERY night in between the tracks(cone free condtioner, oils ,water)

3 co wash midweek if you like especially in warmer months or if you live in a hot, dry climate

4 alternate the weave styles ie i wear leave out all around so i can part one install then full install to give that area a break the next install AND alternate the braid pattern under if possible

5 after removal of weave hard protien week to two week break before next install

************this is a protective style no one should have breakabe if done properly***************

Last edited:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Every person is different. My hair is very fine and fragile, and when I had braids, everyone told me how long my hair would grow. Well, it did grow but not any longer than it would have grown had I not had braids. But what the braid did do was weaken my hair, particularly at the temples. That was during my grad school years. It has taken me many years to restore my edges and temples from braids. While I'm sure weaves do help many ladies grow hair and maintain no and low-manipulation styles, I'm not convinced that weaves--like braids--are for me due to the weight and tension.

I can only speak for me. I know what *my* hair can and cannot withstand.

As for Shima, she may be right in some instances and wrong in others. It really depends on the person, in my view.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
ETA: By the name token, Reniece has proved that weaves work for some ladies, herself included. Again it depends on the person. Growth isn't the main issue, retention is.

dlewis

Every person is different. My hair is very fine and fragile, and when I had braids, everyone told me how long my hair would grow. Well, it did grow but not any longer than it would have grown had I not had braids. But what the braid did do was weaken my hair, particularly at the temples. That was during my grad school years. It has taken me many years to restore my edges and temples from braids. While I'm sure weaves do help many ladies grow hair and maintain no and low-manipulation styles, I'm not convinced that weaves--like braids--are for me due to the weight and tension.

I can only speak for me. I know what *my* hair can and cannot withstand.

As for Shima, she may be right in some instances and wrong in others. It really depends on the person, in my view.

ITA. My daughter has thin hair, always has been thin. Long and thin. When she asked for a weave years ago I told her no, never get a weave because it will surely damage your hair. I told my SIL that about her daughters hair, she had to learn to hard way. Weaves are not for everyone. I don't think they are for most people.

I think wigs are different, anyone can wear a wig with success.

glamazon386

Everything is not for everybody. My hair has always grown great with a weave. The problem is most people think you can put a weave in and just leave it. If you neglected your hair for 3 months out the blue wouldn't it suffer? Why won't it do the same thing under a weave?

I think some people are also misinformed. I remember a stylist telling me in college that my relaxed hair was thin because I wore weave most of the time. They said that the weave was keeping my hair from being exposed to air and as a result it couldn't breathe and became thin. I thought hair was dead? How can something that's dead breathe? Also it turned out that my hair is just fine/thin by nature. It has been thin/fine my whole life. I thought the relaxer was doing it all those years but now that I'm natural it's the same.

I also remember another stylist telling my mom she couldn't get her hair pinned up every appointment because it needed to breathe. But on the other hand protective styling helps with retention. She too was misinformed.

Last edited:

KatKronicles

Shima works my nerves, So on the strength that the title is , Shima blah blah blah,
I say no. even if shes right. No.

It took weeks to get her nasally Fran drescher grinding voice outta my head.

glamazon386

ITA. My daughter has thin hair, always has been thin. Long and thin. When she asked for a weave years ago I told her no, never get a weave because it will surely damage your hair. I told my SIL that about her daughters hair, she had to learn to hard way. Weaves are not for everyone. I don't think they are for most people.

I think wigs are different, anyone can wear a wig with success.

I know plenty people who wear wigs and have jacked up hair. Some people have problems with the wig rubbing their hair line out. But again that goes back to people not taking care of their hair underneath.

honeybuni84

i dont agree at all.. the proof is in the pudding for me... i went from TWA to almost apl in 1.5 years.... and i wore weaves for the better part of t that time..

ETA-

I think i have done pretty excellent with the care of my hair under it. I get full weaves, no heat at all on my hair. I also have a stylist that does not braid too tightly, and i know not to leave them in for longer than 3 months. I too have pretty fine hair, and braids RUINED temples.. I think the hair was too heavy for my hair and it took me 5 years to undo braids issues...

Last edited:

dlewis

Everything is not for everybody. My hair has always grown great with a weave. The problem is most people think you can put a weave in and just leave it. If you neglected your hair for 3 months out the blue wouldn't it suffer? Why won't it do the same thing under a weave?

I think some people are also misinformed. I remember a stylist telling me in college that my relaxed hair was thin because I wore weave most of the time. They said that the weave was keeping my hair from being exposed to air and as a result it couldn't breathe and became thin. I thought hair was dead? How can something that's dead breathe? Also it turned out that my hair is just fine/thin by nature. It has been thin/fine my whole life. I thought the relaxer was doing it all those years but now that I'm natural it's the same.

I also remember another stylist telling my mom she couldn't get her hair pinned up every appointment because it needed to breathe. But on the other hand protective styling helps with retention. She too was misinformed.

Yep, I agree.

I know plenty people who wear wigs and have jacked up hair. Some people have problems with the wig rubbing their hair line out. But again that goes back to people not taking care of their hair underneath.

I didn't think about that but your right. Ms. throw a phone Campbell is the perfect example of this.

amerAKAn_dream

It's possible. Like others have said, you have to take care of your hair while it's installed. Also, be sure that the person doing the install knows what they are doing. Tell them not to braid too tightly. I ended up getting a bald spot because of that.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
It depends on how well maintained your hair is underneath. Some hair thrives with weaves, others don't. I know my hair does better without weaves...protective styling my own hair with buns is working for me :yep:

30something

Its not the weave really, its the person under the weave!

I know, and seen people who feel that since they going to live and die by the weave that they don't need to take care of the hair on their heads. Or keep a weave in for 3 months, take out the weave and have the stylist relax it the same day, not paying attention to the fact that shes is ripping out hair.

But if you have the right practices you can't go wrong with a pretty protective style.

So .. no its not all weaves.. just the problem is too many women don't have the right information.