Questions to ask your weave-ologist.....

Barbie83

Ladies (especially those that have had success with sew-in weaves), please share some advice on what to ask the first time you go to a weave-ologist.

I'm getting nervous about my sew-in next month! I just want to make 100% sure that my hair underneath will flourish and not be damaged or chopped up by bad thread/bad weaving techniques.

What questions do you ask? And what answers do you expect from a good weave-ologist?

NappiShawti

great thread! there is one exactly like this on BHM in case u dont get enuf responses here...

i like to ask:

Do you sew around the weft or through it? (they should sew around, not thru)

What kind of products/regimen do u use/suggest for Virgin Indian Hair? (if u use virgin hair)

Do you have any recent pics of your work? (if not, dont bother)

Would you mind if I spoke to any of your regular clients regarding your work? (if they have an issue w/ this, RUN!

Do you cut the tracks or fold them over? (its best to fold over if u plan to reuse the hair...otherwise u will be sifting thru chopped up wefts of hair that im sure the next stylist wont wanna bother with...=lost $$ for good hair)

Do you recommend sealing the wefts before an install? (if they dont know what ur talkin about when u say "sealing" or "wefts", then plz do urself a favor & dont bother wastin ur $$ or time w/ a no-knowledgeable stylist

hth
be back w/ more later :)

Barbie83

omg this is exactly the type of response I am looking for! Thank you so much, I would have never known to ask those questions :)

peachykeen

Good questions, I have questions about nets. Will your hair be okay if you dont get the net. I had that the one time I had the weave and didnt like that I couldnt get to my scalp.

ThatJerseyGirl

make sure that if there is any hair left over, SHE RETURNS IT TO YOU and not throw it in her "weave stash"

Ask her what is her method of braiding, and does she add hair or yarn while cornrowing your hair. (personal preference).

I think your request should be that she cornrows in a way that will look professional, but at the same time, gives you access to your scalp so that you can spray moisturizer on your cornrows, oil scalp, etc.

Make sure she has set aside time just for you, and try not to squeeze you in between clients. That can be a headache, and if she starts to rush, you'll wind up with a "rushed weave".

I hope the other ladies will chime in on this. Good topic.

NappiShawti

**more:

-Ask what's included in the price (some stylists charge extra 4 razor cuts, straightening, etc.)

-never say 'Remi" if what u really have is virgin hair...there is a DIFFERENCE

-how long do their installs usually last & what method do they use to un-install the hair & avoid cutting ur natural hair

-do they work w/ closures? (if ur gonna use one)

-is the stylist comfortable w/ coloring ur weave if thats wht u desire?

-"If ur client had an unlimited budget, what brand hair would u recommend?"

-are u licensed?

-how comfortable r u w/ different braid patterns?

etc...if i think of more i will add :)

MaintaintheSexy

You need to make sure that she adds hair to your hair when she is doing the braids. THIS IS CRUCIAL OR ELSE YOU WILL LOSE YOUR HAIR!!!!!!!!!

bluediamond0829

Yes thats my number one question---do u use a net? and can i get a weave without a net? I just asked a weave stylist this and she told me yes that i could get a weave done without a net by her!!

Definietly ask for pictures or see if they have a website.

I always ask people that i see out who does their hair...so recommendations is always good.

make sure the person can cut and style--- i had my weave done by a stylist--told her to cut it(i dont like long weaves)--so she gave me some mess about bcuz its curly hair it will draw up(but what about when it is dry)---i was so tempted to take this hair out--yea and i took scissors to it--but i found someone over the weekend to cut it and i straightened it out and im loving it.

Ask the person for some good hair recs?

Barbie83

You need to make sure that she adds hair to your hair when she is doing the braids. THIS IS CRUCIAL OR ELSE YOU WILL LOSE YOUR HAIR!!!!!!!!!

See, that concerns me because I had never even heard of doing that until just recently. Is that what everyone is doing?
My hair is already very thick, so wouldn't adding more hair to the braids make them bulky? Also, does everyone use synthetic braiding hair or human hair to add to the braids? I always thought that synthetic could be damaging to your real hair. Please elaborate!

Last edited:

brownelovely

See, that concerns me because I had never even heard of doing that until just recently. Is that what everyone is doing?
My hair is already very thick, so wouldn't adding more hair toi the braids make them bulky? Also, does everyone use synthetic braiding hair or human hair to add to the braids? I always thought that synthetic could be damaging to your real hair. Please elaborate!

I think I have hair added to the braids that are going to be connected to the net.

That is a good question though because my hair is super thick and to honest...most don't think I even need a net but to protect my hair they suggest it.

Barbie83

^^^lol and there's another concern.....does everyone use a net? Is it hard to keep your scalp clean with a net?

I feel like such a weave newbie :sad:

Uber

I think kankelon hair which has been rinsed is not damaging to your hair. I rinse my hair in ACV. That's what I learnt from "Crownandglory" website anyway.

brownelovely

Not everyone uses a net but I'd ask to be sure first. It's not hard for me to keep my hair clean underneath but I have really thick hair so it takes longer for my hair to dry. I can't stand sitting under dryers :nono:

Ummm...everything I know has been posted above I think.

See pictures of their work FIRST and make sure they are up-to-date pictures. I can't stand folks passing around 2005 photos :look:

Google the stylist and see if any bad reviews or anything comes up. You never know.

I'll have to look in my hair journal when I get home and post my other rules I use.

MrsHdrLe

Why should weavoligists use kankelon hair when weaving? How does this protect my/our hair? Should I pass on someone who doesn't use it?

Thann

One of my most important questions would be be what type of thread do you use?

This plays a big part in how long your sewin will last and how much styling/ washing your install can take before threads start popping or unraveling.

Last edited:

preciouslove0x

Ask them.... What type of thread do you use to weave the hair?
TELL THEM... DONT LEAVE ANY OF MY HAIR OUT IN THE BACK (lol can you tell I had a bad experience)

ETA: Dang Thann you beat me to it lol. But also the type of thread could DAMAGE your hair as well. Also when they are sewing DO NOT let them sew the tracks in too tightly. Just 24 hours of a really tight sew in could damage your hair.

Last edited:

Thann

I don't add hair to my base and I don't lose hair as a result. If you have enough hair to support the install, there shouldn't be a problem.

If you do choose to add hair, please make sure it has been rinsed first to remove the coating on the hair, otherwise you run the risk of dealing with an itchy scalp for the life of your install. The one time I had an install done with hair added to the base, it itched so bad I took it out after 4 weeks.

Mane Event

I add hair to my braided hair b/c I don't like using nets (although it is a personal preference). I like getting to my scalp. The extra hair is a bit of security (It's thin, I don't use a lot) I like protecteing my ends with synthetic hair.

In addition to what everyone else mentioned would also ask her the following:
What braid pattern she plans to use in your hair. Straight-backs tend to lay flatter, zig zag puts more pressure on your sides, circular tends to not last as long as others (It's one long braid), so on and so forth....

I would have her stop immediately if any of the following occur (You should address these prior to braiding):

1. Braids too tight
2. Braids are too big
3. Doesn't leave your edges out
4. Braids while hair is wet
5. Doesn't add any "juices n' berries" for slip
6. Snatches the comb through your head

As a braider myself, some of these may happen. Afterall, she can't feel what you feel, it's your head. Just politely ask her to stop and request that she braids a looser, smaller, add oil, whatever it maybe....

I would also suggest, previewing your hair after she completes a couple rows. You can get an idea of the size, tightness, and overall feel of her work. At this point it's easier for her to change what she's doing per your recommendations. Too many people let the weave-ologist finish without ever evaluating midway through the process. NOT A GOOD IDEA! AFter 2-3 hours, everyone is exhausted and you're more prone to just let things "ride." :(

Do not be afraid to (politely) set your expectations. The installation is critical. If she is not open to your suggestions or become defensive/rude. STOP!!!!! Again, I say STOP!!!! You don't want a p-ssed off braider all in your head. :hand:

At this point grab yo' purse, throw on a half-wig and leave! :cowgirl:

If all goes well, then we need to discuss the takedown process. Installation/takedown have the greatest potential for you to lose ALOT of hair!

Last edited:

Kneechay

My weavologist adds hair to the end of the cornrow braid for about 5 inches. She explained why and I forgot, but it was a really good reason.

I know people that use a net, but I don't. The net is like a rough thin plastic. I think it hinders reaching the middle back of the head for washing. When I take out friends who get the net, there's always ALWAYS a huge chunk of dirt and grime that falls out from that section. The net on top of your cornrow rubs up against your OWN braided hair especially while brushing, agitating it, breaking it.

thoroughly OIL your scalp and moisturize your hair root to tip before the install. It's okay, it's getting braided up anyway. Don't flat iron it, just lightly airdry then blowdry (for a little straightness for ease in braiding) completely before hand.

Asides from the questions some have listed here, ask for stuff you DO want. some of this is what I do, so to each her own.

-Can you dip the thread in this oil that I have before you sew in the hair? (i bring a concotion of castor/coconut/olive oil)

-how long have you been doing weave installs?

- how do i care for the edges you leave out so I don't experience thinning in those areas?

-can you do your OWN installs?

-In respect to the braiding pattern she's using, ask her how to properly blend your hair to the weave.

-What are the most common hair issues that your clients experience or complain about?

Another thing, I suggest asking questions and engaging your stylist in conversation in order for her to understand that 1) you are informed in hair care, 2) you're anal and you want to make sure this is done correctly.

I notice when you do this, they are a lot more careful with regards to their approach to you AND your hair.

Last edited:

ChemistryGirl

1. Tell the stylist it is your first time getting a weave and ask how you should maintain it. If she only tells you how to take care of the weave hair and does not mention your real hair underneath, that is not a good sign. (She should also make suggestions about how often should wash and condition your hair, how often to moisturize it and what to use, how to avoid the 'weave itches', etc)

2. Ask to see pictures of installs she's done and ask if she has regular clients and how their hair is doing under the weave. (If she is any good, she should have regulars and their hair should be thriving and growing. Hopefully she might have pics of their real hair too.)

3. Ask how long her installs last. (She should say at least 12 weeks even if you don't plan to keep it in that long. I've had weaves fall apart after the first wash, the tracks either just come loose or the cornrows slip)

4. I think you should research ahead of time what braid pattern you want to use and whether to add synthetic hair to the cornrows or use a net , but you should also ask what she suggests. (I think all these are personal preferences but whatever she suggests she should have a reasonable explanation. She should say things like "I find this braid pattern looks more natural and less bulky" or "client A likes to have synthetic hair added b/c she has fine hair and client B does not and both their hair is thriving. Looking at your hair I would suggest....." BHM is a great resource to research these topics, there are two forums dedicated to weaves)

Also
- Ask her not to cornrow tightly and ask her not to sew too tightly either. (sometimes even if the cornrows are not tight, when they sew on the tracks they pull too hard on the thread and the track and it can still cause tension on your hairline and scalp, and we all know that can lead to headaches and hair loss).

- If at any point in your consultation when you are asking questions or telling her what you want done and she gives you attitude or rolls her eyes or refuses to do what you want, LEAVE!

- In my honest opinion expensive stylists are not always better. The most expensive stylist I went to (I paid $275) left me with badly damaged edges and the tracks came loose in one wash. The lady I used to go to who charged $45 bucks did the best job. I think it all depends on experience and their knowledge. So look at lots of pictures and ask lots of questions.

glamazon386

I beg to differ. Sometimes the braiding hair will dry your hair out if they are using regular synthetic and not kanekalon. Some places use the regular synthetic because it's cheaper to cut corners. The added hair is only really needed when the person's hair is thin, damaged or too short to braid on it's own. A person with healthy hair does not need the extra hair added in. You don't need it if you use a net either. I personally don't like the net but some people do.

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
My hair is already very thick, so wouldn't adding more hair to the braids make them bulky? Also, does everyone use synthetic braiding hair or human hair to add to the braids? I always thought that synthetic could be damaging to your real hair. Please elaborate!

i never have had hair added to braids. my hair is fragile and doesn't like extra hair. i have worn weaves as a protective style on and off for three years and have had no breakage or issues and have never had hair added to the braids ever.

also, my stylist always uses a net. this may be an issue for some ladies, but for me the net protected my hair from tangling with the shed hair. the net keeps the braids compact. so the weave doesn't sit up high once new growth comes in. also the net protected my hair from the weight of the track hair and the thread didn't tear into my strands as they install it and sew it through the braid. the hair is sewn onto the net not your own hair, so for me this saved me breakage. i found that sewing directly into my braids just shred my hair because it's so fragile.

as for care of your own hair - i used an applicator bottle with half water/half product to dilute shampoo and conditioner. this makes it easy to squirt the shampoo or conditioner right into the braids. i was able to get to my hair just fine.

i moisturized using the same method. i put my moisturizer and my oil into two separate bottles. a spray bottle for moisturizer. and applicator bottle for oils.

i went from neck length to apl doing this regi.

as for questions - my three most important questions to ask:

1. how do you suggest i care for my hair underneath? (you want a stylist that cares about the health of your own hair and has a plan)

2. how do you ensure there is no breakage from the braids themselves? (you are looking for someone who doesn't believe in tight braids. tight braids equal damaged hair and breakage)

3. do you braid the edges and hairline?
(some stylists do, some dont. i have had my edges out, and i have had them braided. the only real issue is that if they braid the edges, the edges can not be braided too tight, so they don't break off.)

scarcity21

i never have had hair added to braids. my hair is fragile and doesn't like extra hair. i have worn weaves as a protective style on and off for three years and have had no breakage or issues and have never had hair added to the braids ever.

also, my stylist always uses a net. this may be an issue for some ladies, but for me the net protected my hair from tangling with the shed hair. the net keeps the braids compact. so the weave doesn't sit up high once new growth comes in. also the net protected my hair from the weight of the track hair and the thread didn't tear into my strands as they install it and sew it through the braid. the hair is sewn onto the net not your own hair, so for me this saved me breakage. i found that sewing directly into my braids just shred my hair because it's so fragile.

as for care of your own hair - i used an applicator bottle with half water/half product to dilute shampoo and conditioner. this makes it easy to squirt the shampoo or conditioner right into the braids. i was able to get to my hair just fine.

i moisturized using the same method. i put my moisturizer and my oil into two separate bottles. a spray bottle for moisturizer. and applicator bottle for oils.

i went from neck length to apl doing this regi.

as for questions - my three most important questions to ask:

1. how do you suggest i care for my hair underneath? (you want a stylist that cares about the health of your own hair and has a plan)

2. how do you ensure there is no breakage from the braids themselves? (you are looking for someone who doesn't believe in tight braids. tight braids equal damaged hair and breakage)

3. do you braid the edges and hairline?
(some stylists do, some dont. i have had my edges out, and i have had them braided. the only real issue is that if they braid the edges, the edges can not be braided too tight, so they don't break off.)
how long did u do this regi to get from NL to APL? how long do u leave ur installs in? thanks

scarcity21

I beg to differ. Sometimes the braiding hair will dry your hair out if they are using regular synthetic and not kanekalon. Some places use the regular synthetic because it's cheaper to cut corners. The added hair is only really needed when the person's hair is thin, damaged or too short to braid on it's own. A person with healthy hair does not need the extra hair added in. You don't need it if you use a net either. I personally don't like the net but some people do.

Ditto...with my last install I asked the weavologist not to use extra hair when cornrowing...she only used it for the 1st braid bcos my perimeter is a little thin...the rest of the hair was cornrowed sans extra hair...i believe the extra hair does dry out ur own hair but to each their own:)

lux10023

great info---

my 2 cents..getting a weave may seem minor but it is a very serious--hair technique--it is very important to have a at least 5-10 mn convo with whoever is putting in your weave in regard to how you want your hair cornrowed..maintenance with the weave and your real hair..and overall expectations..

huge difference btwn getting a weave to change styles and etc etc

and getting a weave as a protetive growth option...

the ladies have already pretty much covered everything..just make sure whoever is putting in your weave knows what they r doin and ask questions..i would only go to someones work ive seen as in witnessed put in and take out and how their clients hair was after the fact...dont let someone just slap some cornrows in ya hair and sew on or glue some weave hair in and thats it...