Scary stuff about Lace fronts

Jazzmommy

I tried a lace front without doing my homework first. I also have very low hairline with a lot of baby hairs/side burns so the glue couldn't help but get into my hair. If I had added anymore inches the wig would have been in my eyes:lachen: .

Anyhow, there are even some wig application places where I live that shall go nameless that advocate shaving the hairline which I am told can cause baldness (another beautician told me this... I can't confirm??). Since I was transititioning out of a perm, I didn't want to take any chances with compromising my hairline so I counted my loses:perplexed . Also, it was more work than I expected with the upkeep. My husband still fuses about that fact that I spent all that $$ and I'm not wearing that wig...

I used a glue without the toulene. But LFs are very high maintenance, so please do your homework if you decide to go that route (front lace, full lace, types of lace, quality/types of hair, bleached knots, vendors, etc.,). It's definitely an investment. Before you purchase one, you might consider join a LF forum. For me, it didn't work out, but it works for others.

Ladyhenri

sweetwhispers said:
Exactly. People could say, why do use relaxers that burn the scalp and are full of chemicals or why use flat irons/hot combs which are damaging to the hair all just for straight hair? Why get extensions which pull at the root? Don't the majority of people here comment about their hair "swang". Lets not forget the infamous "our hair is a curse" thread where people pretty much told the truth- why hone in on certain methods people use? If its not directly hurting you why criticise?

I hope you dont think this thread is meant to critize lace fronts.
When i stumbled across the information i copied and pasted, i was actually looking to buy a lace front cos i thought they look gorgeous and could make a great protective style.

I was shocked when i saw this information myself and i simply thought i should share. I was prepared to shell out a lot of money to puchase an item that could potentially damage my hair...i only think it is fair that other ladies see exactly what i saw then formulate their own opinions.

nomoweavesfome

I'm a a lacefront wearer.
Never had a problem.
Never damaged my hairline.

In fact I don't even glue on my hairline. I glue right before it around the perimeter. I get a stock because it's always too big for my small head and it works perfectly. The only problem I have with lacefront is taking time for the application and it takes a lot of trial and error to get it "flawless" It's been a great protective style for me and I want another one to add to my collection.
see:
www.fotki.com/nomoweavesfome

MissYocairis

Ok...two questions for all the lacefront wearers.....

1) does one have to wear heavy makeup in order to conceal the lace in front? Any ppl who wear little to no makeup w a lf?

2) is it harder to spot lf's than weaves? I asl this cause I work with a girl who has really REALLY nice bsl hair...definitely not a weave....but there is just something about it that is too perfect and I couldn't figure it out but now I'm thinking it may be a lf....she always wore a center part btw but now it's in bangs.

Ladyhenri

nomoweavesfome said:
I'm a a lacefront wearer.
Never had a problem.
Never damaged my hairline.

In fact I don't even glue on my hairline. I glue right before it around the perimeter. I get a stock because it's always too big for my small head and it works perfectly. The only problem I have with lacefront is taking time for the application and it takes a lot of trial and error to get it "flawless" It's been a great protective style for me and I want another one to add to my collection.
see:
www.fotki.com/nomoweavesfome

Girl,
It was after stalking your fotki that i decided...enuff is enuff, i gotta get a gorgeous lace front too:grin:
But after researching and seeing the adverse effects, i have gotten too scared to buy one.
I notice with your natural hairline, it is possible to wear a lacefront without needing to shave your own baby hair, but many vendors recommend to shave for a natural fit .....With a hairline like mine, there is probably no other option besides sticking the lacefront on my own hair:(

Ladyhenri

redRiot said:
But shaving the hairline...extreme...yikes!

Yup
After seein a few other sites where people had done the same thing to their hairlines, i thought, they will never let any one see their own natural hair...tooooo jacked up.
I didnt totally believe the part of the post where the girl said that some women hide their own hair from people close to them, but after seeing that....it seems concievable.
That being said, i'm sure any lady in this site would never do that to her hairline if they wanted to wear LFs.

after seeing that particular lady on youtube who shaved her hairline...I thought...Wow she looks beautiful in that LF, but if she didn't have it on:perplexed . I just couldn't do it. But like I said before...for some people, it's just their way of getting the hair of their dreams. I've wanted to do the LF thing, but I just don't have the money or time. Plus I'd be doing to to protect my own hair...I happen to like my hairline.

Henrietta said:
Yup
After seein a few other sites where people had done the same thing to their hairlines, i thought, they will never let any one see their own natural hair...tooooo jacked up.
I didnt totally believe the part of the post where the girl said that some women hide their own hair from people close to them, but after seeing that....it seems concievable.
That being said, i'm sure any lady in this site would never do that to her hairline if they wanted to wear LFs.

LocksOfLuV

redRiot said:
Well honestly, what these women choose to do and think, it isn't hurting anyone else. I mean, if someone is willing to go to that extreme to have long, straight, natural looking hair...why not? I'm sure if there was some magical pill invented that could give any black woman waistlength, silky, Indian-textured locks, a majority of black women who could afford it would jump on the bandwagon. These ladies have just found a realistic alternative. A lot of ladies on this board are after the same thing...long, silky, shiny gorgeous hair. We are just choosing a more natural route.

Basically. :yep:

I mean no offense to anyone who are into things, but are we really in a position to talk about those women, when some people here have put horse oil, monistat (none of this I am against by the way), holy grease, and all types of concoction on our heads all in the name of growing long hair? I see extremes on both sides and one isn't necessarily more shocking than the other in my eyes.

Last edited:

hersheyskiss

CantBeCopied said:

1) does one have to wear heavy makeup in order to conceal the lace in front? Any ppl who wear little to no makeup w a lf?

I don't put any makeup on my lacefront. I dyed the lace the color of my skin so it blends very well without makeup. If you want to put makeup on white lace you have to buy a shade darker, because it will show up a shade lighter on the lace.

2) is it harder to spot lf's than weaves? I asl this cause I work with a girl who has really REALLY nice bsl hair...definitely not a weave....but there is just something about it that is too perfect and I couldn't figure it out but now I'm thinking it may be a lf....she always wore a center part btw but now it's in bangs.[

nomoweavesfome

CantBeCopied said:

2) is it harder to spot lf's than weaves? I asl this cause I work with a girl who has really REALLY nice bsl hair...definitely not a weave....but there is just something about it that is too perfect and I couldn't figure it out but now I'm thinking it may be a lf....she always wore a center part btw but now it's in bangs.

1. if you look in my fotki- i have on like zero makeup. you don't need to wear makeup. also some apply a little concealer on the underside of the lace to make the "scalp" appear real. I tried this and I hated that technique. I just use the brown stocking cap and it works for me because the lace is light brown and the two coming together matches my brown complexion.

2.It is very difficult to spot a lace front granted the right texture and technique. But to me on some it looks obviously just like a weave.

It is possible your girl may have a lace front if you have that "something different" feeling. lol

nomoweavesfome

Henrietta said:
Girl,
It was after stalking your fotki that i decided...enuff is enuff, i gotta get a gorgeous lace front too:grin:
But after researching and seeing the adverse effects, i have gotten too scared to buy one.
I notice with your natural hairline, it is possible to wear a lacefront without needing to shave your own baby hair, but many vendors recommend to shave for a natural fit .....With a hairline like mine, there is probably no other option besides sticking the lacefront on my own hair:(

yea- lacefront is a whole other world and it's very high mainteneance and a lot of trial and error. Luckily, I was wearing it when I had a lot of time on my hands, but now I really don't have the time. So my wigs are stuffed in the drawer.

I would never erver ever ever - never ever shave my hairline for nothing. Ever. Period. Now I have worn the lace on the baby hairline, but what I found is that it only works best if you are willing to wear the wig to the point of 'lifting" which is about 6 days for me. But that is not recommended either because although your "babyhairs" are safe it's drying to remove the glue with alcohol and I just couldn't do that to my hairline over and over consistently.

So- on that note the lacefront is for special occasions and the hard front wig is the way I go for consistency.

Ladyhenri

redRiot said:
after seeing that particular lady on youtube who shaved her hairline...I thought...Wow she looks beautiful in that LF, but if she didn't have it on:perplexed . I just couldn't do it. But like I said before...for some people, it's just their way of getting the hair of their dreams. I've wanted to do the LF thing, but I just don't have the money or time. Plus I'd be doing to to protect my own hair...I happen to like my hairline.

:grin::grin:
You read my mind. When i was looking at that video clip, my BF came into the room and was like "whats wrong with her? How can she disfigure herself like that? she looks like an alien without it"

Last edited:

Ladyhenri

nomoweavesfome said:
yea- lacefront is a whole other world and it's very high mainteneance and a lot of trial and error. Luckily, I was wearing it when I had a lot of time on my hands, but now I really don't have the time. So my wigs are stuffed in the drawer.

I would never erver ever ever - never ever shave my hairline for nothing. Ever. Period. Now I have worn the lace on the baby hairline, but what I found is that it only works best if you are willing to wear the wig to the point of 'lifting" which is about 6 days for me. But that is not recommended either because although your "babyhairs" are safe it's drying to remove the glue with alcohol and I just couldn't do that to my hairline over and over consistently.

So- on that note the lacefront is for special occasions and the hard front wig is the way I go for consistency.

:eek:
Girl you're kidding right? Did your hairline get damaged?

Golong

pinkskates said:
From my understanding, lacefront wigs were invented by pioneer hair stylist in the entertainment industry for actors. The lace disappears after the heavy make-up has been applied and after the professional lighting is in place. Lacefront wigs were not meant for Sheniqua to wear down the street to the local 7-elevan. We see Beyonce and Tyra in lacefront wigs all the time because they are in front of a tv camera 14 hours a day 5 days a week. They are paid millions of dollars to do damaging things to their hair. Sheniqua will wake up one day and have to take off her lacefront wig; and her hairline will be long gone and she wont have millions of dollars in her bank account to compensate for her hair loss. She will be a semi-bald headed sista' wondering what happened to her pretty natual hair.:perplexed

TOO FUNNY:lachen: :lachen: !! you do have a point though:ohwell:

Mystic

You don't have to use glue; my hairdresser cuts off the lace and sew in the LF very close to the edge - it's so natural you can't tell. This saves my edges and keeps the LF in longer.

Naturellle said:
Honestly, I considered getting a lacefront wig in the past but after doing some research, I decided against it. My main reasoning is that gluing a wig so close to my hair line is far too damagaing. My hairline is also very sensitive and it is finally back to normal after all the braid damage I sustained in the past (before LHCF). I would hate to ruin it because of a lacefront. Also, positioning the lacefront away from the hairline to protect my hairline would look unnatural on me. The wig would be soo close to my eyebrows..lol. Hey, if I'm going to rock hair that isn't mine, I want to look on point and natural, that's just me so that's why I opted against it. I would prefer to rock a bss wig since nowadays they're starting to look alot more natural.

I also read about how damaging the glue could be to your health and I just didn't want to risk it even though there claims that there are safer glues to use. Anyhow, good luck on whatever you decide to do!

bravenewgirl87

I said it before...i am going to say it again. I REALLY think that the woman who posted this in whatever forum was just fishing for the negativity. I just don't think that the average black woman is looking at herself and saying "yeah, i'm so ugly cuz i don't have any hair... lemme go get a lacefront"?? Naw... i don't know about that one. I mean...what about women who primarily like short hair????

Ladyhenri

bravenewgirl87 said:
I said it before...i am going to say it again. I REALLY think that the woman who posted this in whatever forum was just fishing for the negativity. I just don't think that the average black woman is looking at herself and saying "yeah, i'm so ugly cuz i don't have any hair... lemme go get a lacefront"?? Naw... i don't know about that one. I mean...what about women who primarily like short hair????

...When i stumbled across the post, i actually thought she might be lying untill i researched some of the claims she made. There is a LOT of truth in that post.
I'd suggest you also do your research before being quick to defend what you deem to be negativity.

Oh and the last few lines of your post dont make any sense..:confused::confused:
I can see no connections to the initial post.

Ladyhenri

Mystic said:
You don't have to use glue; my hairdresser cuts off the lace and sew in the LF very close to the edge - it's so natural you can't tell. This saves my edges and keeps the LF in longer.

This sounds intresting....does your hairdresser braid your hair underneath the LF?
Also, how do you care for your hair under the LF? Finally is the finished look worth the expense?
Sorry for all the questions, but if i do get a LF, i think it might be safer to wear it the way you've described:)

Bint Yusef

Henrietta said:
:grin::grin:
You read my mind. When i was looking at that video clip, my BF came into the room and was like "whats wrong with her? How can she disfigure herself like that? she looks like an alien without it"
She looks ridiculous. Shaving your hair line when if you just took care of your hair you could have the hair from that wig actually attached to your scalp(of course the texture will be different)?:nuts:

Last edited:

nomoweavesfome

Henrietta said:
:eek:
Girl you're kidding right? Did your hairline get damaged?

nope - never had a problem with my hairline - never ever. No damage at all. but that's just me - can't speak for anyone else. like I said I wouldn't recommened because the alcohol can be drying to remove the glue. It's just not something you want to do over and over again.

Mystic

Henrietta said:
This sounds intresting....does your hairdresser braid your hair underneath the LF?
Also, how do you care for your hair under the LF? Finally is the finished look worth the expense?
Sorry for all the questions, but if i do get a LF, i think it might be safer to wear it the way you've described:)

She braids my hair underneath the LF. I wash my hair once per week and sometimes I put viviscal liquid lotion on my scalf (the LF has tiny holes similar to the pores in your scalp, so it allows the liquid to reach the scalp). I paid $350 for the LF (there are much cheaper ones), and the hairdresser sews it in for $100. It's well worth it to me because it looks so natural, unlike weaves that look fake. Also, when I am ready to take it off, it comes off easily.

Last edited:

secretdiamond

LocksOfLuV said:
Basically. :yep:

I mean no offense to anyone who are into things, but are we really in a position to talk about those women, when some people here have put horse oil, monistat (none of this I am against by the way), holy grease, and all types of concoction on our heads all in the name of growing long hair? I see extremes on both sides and one isn't necessarily more shocking than the other in my eyes.

Exactly!! It's one thing to disagree with a practice, but it's another thing to use every excuse in the book to JUDGE and lift yourselves up on a pedestal. *This is not directed to the OP* I'm pretty sure I have a good idea where that forum is--- and I'm definitely not surprised. smh.

To the OP, I know you were just posting the info you found, which many women didn't know about (the shaving and the glue). And I know you were not judging or anything.

AVNchick

Mystic said:
She braids my hair underneath the LF. I wash my hair once per week and sometimes I put viviscal liquid lotion on my scalf (the LF has tiny holes similar to the pores in your scalp, so it allows the liquid to reach the scalp). I paid $350 for the LF (there are much cheaper ones), and the hairdresser sews it in for $100. It's well worth it to me because it looks so natural, unlike weaves that look fake. Also, when I am ready to take it off, it comes off easily.
This sounds interesting. I have a lacefront that I never wear b/c of the hassle of gluing it on. I thought I'd just wasted my money since it's just sitting on the wig stand. I never thought about sewing it instead. Thanks;)

ETA: Do you have any pics of it sewn on in your fotki?

Last edited:

Ladyhenri

secretdiamond said:
Exactly!! It's one thing to disagree with a practice, but it's another thing to use every excuse in the book to JUDGE and lift yourselves up on a pedestal. *This is not directed to the OP* I'm pretty sure I have a good idea where that forum is--- and I'm definitely not surprised. smh.

To the OP, I know you were just posting the info you found, which many women didn't know about (the shaving and the glue). And I know you were not judging or anything.

Thats all right girl:).
I did post the info cos i wanted to know everyones opinion.
I did think the girl was kinda judgemental, but i also felt there were some truths in her post.

secretdiamond

Henrietta said:
Thats all right girl:).
I did post the info cos i wanted to know everyones opinion.
I did think the girl was kinda judgemental, but i also felt there were some truths in her post.
You're very right. :yep: Lacefronts are not something I would do either.

sexylonglegs

From my understanding, lacefront wigs were invented by pioneer hair stylist in the entertainment industry for actors. The lace disappears after the heavy make-up has been applied and after the professional lighting is in place. Lacefront wigs were not meant for Sheniqua to wear down the street to the local 7-elevan. We see Beyonce and Tyra in lacefront wigs all the time because they are in front of a tv camera 14 hours a day 5 days a week. They are paid millions of dollars to do damaging things to their hair. Sheniqua will wake up one day and have to take off her lacefront wig; and her hairline will be long gone and she wont have millions of dollars in her bank account to compensate for her hair loss. She will be a semi-bald headed sista' wondering what happened to her pretty natual hair.:perplexed

Hahahahaha,,, girl u a hottt messss:lachen:

Hairsofab

Well honestly, what these women choose to do and think, it isn't hurting anyone else. I mean, if someone is willing to go to that extreme to have long, straight, natural looking hair...why not? I'm sure if there was some magical pill invented that could give any black woman waistlength, silky, Indian-textured locks, a majority of black women who could afford it would jump on the bandwagon. These ladies have just found a realistic alternative. A lot of ladies on this board are after the same thing...long, silky, shiny gorgeous hair. We are just choosing a more natural route.

I agree.:yep::yep::yep: