Scary stuff about Lace fronts

Ladyhenri

Hi ladies,
I have been thinking of getting a lacefront as a protective style, and i stumbled across this on another hair forum. I am now a bit concerned because thanks to LHCF, i have been able to get my baby hairs and edges in great shape...i dont wanna loose them again.

Take a read... I am intrested in what you girls think

"On one of the other hair boards that I frequent, an overwhelming majority of the ladies are lacefront FANATICS! (For those of you who don't know, lacefronts are the custom made wigs that beyonce, halle berry, jessica simpson and a lot of hollywood are wearing).

Well, I was reading the posts there, and from what I was reading, I found the lacefronts to be just as if not more damaging mentally and physically than per.ms. Here's some examples of things I read:

-they use tape and/or glue and other adhesives to keep these wigs on their heads. A lot of the glues the ladies use contain Toulene, which is aparently pretty toxic to the human body, specifically the central nervous system. One of the ladies on the board stopped having her menstrual cycle, went to the doctor and her toxicology report led him to believe she was being poisoned. After she discussed things with her doctor, he detected the adhesive she was using to be the culprit, and as soon as she stopped using it, she had her cycle 2 weeks later. Another lady reported to having severe headaches every time she used it. (And I thought sodium hydroxide was bad)

-also, with the glue, several of the ladies have experienced burns and blisters and sores from using the glue and improper removal of the glue and the hair piece. From what I gather, the proper method of removal is soaking the skin that the glue was applied to with alcohol.

-a few of the ladies have shaved up to an inch of hair around the circumference of their heads where their hairline is in order for the wig to be glued in a more "natural" position on their heads. The ladies that haven't shaved their hairlines always put glue on their hairlines, and so, of course the are bald on their edges.

-the hair that they buy is always from India, or Brazil, or China, or Europe, but they all tell each other how amazingly great they look and that the hair looks "so natural" and that "girl! it looks like it's growing right outta your head!" (although I've personally never seen chinese textured hair growing out of a Black woman's scalp, so I don't understand that one at all)

-one young lady posted that someone came up to her and asked her if she was Indian, and she said that really made her day because the person assumed that she couldn't be Black. (She also said "I have to thank my parents for this light bronzey color of mine," so clearly this woman has issues that are deeper than lacefronts).

-a couple of the ladies swear that their boyfriends/husbands can't tell that that hair is not theirs (the men have never seen them without the wigs) and go to great lengths to keep the secret from them

-(this one is more funny than damaging) one young lady posted a thread asking for advice because she didn't know whether to buy herself a new winter coat or a new lacefront wig. She NEEDED both, and both cost $300 and she honestly didn't know what to do. The ladies on the board convinced her to get the wig because "you can sleep in that hair, but you can't sleep in that coat!" and "girl, you better buy that lacefront and wrap it around you like a scarf!" she wore a spring jacket all winter in Canada.

-i've seen the phrase "you better swing that hair like a (insert ethnicity here, usually white or Asian) girl!" more times than I care to count.

So, basically the point I'm trying to make is that everything we say about how harmful the chemicals in p.erms are, and everything we say about self-hate and trying to look like another race is magnified, in my opinion, by these wigs.

Opinions, thoughts? Anyone?"

Pls note : The emboldened part has been copied and pasted into the thread/ post!

Last edited:

angellazette

-they use tape and/or glue and other adhesives to keep these wigs on their heads. A lot of the glues the ladies use contain Toulene, which is aparently pretty toxic to the human body, specifically the central nervous system. One of the ladies on the board stopped having her menstrual cycle, went to the doctor and her toxicology report led him to believe she was being poisoned. After she discussed things with her doctor, he detected the adhesive she was using to be the culprit, and as soon as she stopped using it, she had her cycle 2 weeks later. Another lady reported to having severe headaches every time she used it. (And I thought sodium hydroxide was bad)

There are many adhesives that contain Toulene and there are also adhesives that do not contain Toulene. Basebond and Cool Piece's adhesives are safe. There are also medical grade adhesives as well. Some decide to use adhesives with Toulene because they may get better hold but I'd never risk my health. I used Basebond. You have to research. If an adhesive was giving me problems, I would stop immediately. Some decide to keep using it. You just have to use common sense.

-also, with the glue, several of the ladies have experienced burns and blisters and sores from using the glue and improper removal of the glue and the hair piece. From what I gather, the proper method of removal is soaking the skin that the glue was applied to with alcohol.

I used a citrus adhesive remover although alcohol is also used.

-a few of the ladies have shaved up to an inch of hair around the circumference of their heads where their hairline is in order for the wig to be glued in a more "natural" position on their heads. The ladies that haven't shaved their hairlines always put glue on their hairlines, and so, of course the are bald on their edges.

This italicized is far from true. When you measure your head, you are supposed to add an inch to your hairline measurements to allow you the ability to put the lacefront in front of your natural hairline, thus avoiding any adhesive or tape coming in contact with your natural hairline. This is what I did and had no breakage. I actually wore my lacefront to grow out my edges that were damaged from micros.

-the hair that they buy is always from India, or Brazil, or China, or Europe, but they all tell each other how amazingly great they look and that the hair looks "so natural" and that "girl! it looks like it's growing right outta your head!" (although I've personally never seen chinese textured hair growing out of a Black woman's scalp, so I don't understand that one at all)

The units I had were curly Indian remy. They also have straight hair and kinkier textures as well. Black women have all types of hair textures.

-one young lady posted that someone came up to her and asked her if she was Indian, and she said that really made her day because the person assumed that she couldn't be Black. (She also said "I have to thank my parents for this light bronzey color of mine," so clearly this woman has issues that are deeper than lacefronts).

I had no problem telling people it was not mine.

-a couple of the ladies swear that their boyfriends/husbands can't tell that that hair is not theirs (the men have never seen them without the wigs) and go to great lengths to keep the secret from them

My husband (and anyone else who asked) knew it was not mine. Trying to keep it secret from my husband would be entirely too much drama. I rather snatch the wig off at night and go to bed.

-(this one is more funny than damaging) one young lady posted a thread asking for advice because she didn't know whether to buy herself a new winter coat or a new lacefront wig. She NEEDED both, and both cost $300 and she honestly didn't know what to do. The ladies on the board convinced her to get the wig because "you can sleep in that hair, but you can't sleep in that coat!" and "girl, you better buy that lacefront and wrap it around you like a scarf!" she wore a spring jacket all winter in Canada.

Deciding to buy a wig over a coat that you need is simply retarded.

-i've seen the phrase "you better swing that hair like a (insert ethnicity here, usually white or Asian) girl!" more times than I care to count.

I really don't know what to say about this one.

Ladyhenri

Thanks for your detailed response.
I was really worried cos i know very little about lace fronts and i do have a lot of very five baby hairs that i would kill before parting with:grin:

RubyWoo

Honestly, I considered getting a lacefront wig in the past but after doing some research, I decided against it. My main reasoning is that gluing a wig so close to my hair line is far too damagaing. My hairline is also very sensitive and it is finally back to normal after all the braid damage I sustained in the past (before LHCF). I would hate to ruin it because of a lacefront. Also, positioning the lacefront away from the hairline to protect my hairline would look unnatural on me. The wig would be soo close to my eyebrows..lol. Hey, if I'm going to rock hair that isn't mine, I want to look on point and natural, that's just me so that's why I opted against it. I would prefer to rock a bss wig since nowadays they're starting to look alot more natural.

I also read about how damaging the glue could be to your health and I just didn't want to risk it even though there claims that there are safer glues to use. Anyhow, good luck on whatever you decide to do!

Last edited:

RubyWoo

Also to address the issues of self hate. IMO, that has nothing to do with the lace front and everything to do with the person and their character. I know for myself, I would never try to lie and say hair is mine when I know it wasn't if asked. Although, I think it is rude to confront someone about their hair, I still don't think it's right to lie and say it's yours when it isn't. I've worn weave in the past and if someone thought it was mine, I was sure to correct them. My reasoning was because 1) the hair wasn't mine 2)I like my hair and feel no shame and rocking a weave if it helped me a achieve a particular style.

On the other hand, you want your lacefront to look very natural because anything that looks unnatural really doesn't look good imo and it sticks out and draws unwanted attention. So I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting the lace front wig to look like it's yours for appearance's sake but if asked or confronted about your hair, I think one should be honest. There's no shame in wearing a lace front wig. It's just another style just like braids and weave imo.

Last edited:

Ladyhenri

Naturellle said:
Honestly, I considered getting a lacefront wig in the past but after doing some research, I decided against it. My main reasoning is that gluing a wig so close to my hair line is far too damagaing. My hairline is also very sensitive and it is finally back to normal after all the braid damage I sustained in the past (before LHCF). I would hate to ruin it because of a lacefront. Also, positioning the lacefront away from the hairline to protect my hairline would look unnatural on me. The wig would be soo close to my eyebrows..lol. Hey, if I'm going to rock hair that isn't mine, I want to look on point and natural, that's just me so that's why I opted against it. I would prefer to rock a bss wig since nowadays they're starting to look alot more natural.

I also read about how damaging the glue could be to your health and I just didn't want to risk it even though there claims that there are safer glues to use. Anyhow, good luck on whatever you decide to do!

Girl, you have stated my exact feelings on the lace front!
The enboldened parts is just my exact problem as well...My baby hairs really extend down and putting a lace front one inch above where they end will touch my brow :look:

blue_flower

This is interesting. I went on youtube and this girl had a tutorial on how to apply a lace front wig. Her baby hairs and her hairline were shaved because she said the wig won't adhere to the glue strip if the hair was in the way. I was bewildered by that. But it was still a decent DIY.

bravenewgirl87

I think i am going to start a spinoff thread on this one. Honestly, i don't think too many black women are running around here perpetrating with fake hair... at least the chicks i know from the 'hood aren't. Is this an upper-class black thing, because who REALLY wants to grow long hair so they will look like another ethnicity? I don't mean to insult anyone on LHCF, but the only people i hear spouting this mess are the ladies here (K.I.M.: I don't frequent other black hair sites). Do average black women really feel this way?:perplexed:sekret: Investitigative report on DATELINE, tonight @ 9pm, est.

I think that this is just a sarcastic joke. You mean to tell me that you have never said to someone, "grrrrrl! You hair is so straight you look latina or indian? C'mon.... i think she was just fishing. I don't think grown black women really think that way. Maybe the later generations, but after the age of 30, you should be well over the "bi-racial is better" method of thinking. Maybe its an american thing because my friends and i don't practice this method of thinking. In fact, i haven't heard of such.. i don't know what to call it... before joining LHCF (no offense to any of you ladies, i just saying i haven't had any exposure to this deep seeded issue before you all. Not saying that you are not warranted for you feelings though.) But i guess its a good eye-opener because my little "sister" is starting to display a bizarre attachment to clip-on weaves.

Why? So what are they going to tell them when they have no edges. Are these women ugly? I am sorry to be mean, but don't they know that their are much more contributions to black beauty than hair... esp. fake hair? I just don't understand how a beautiful woman can run around here perpetrating with fake hair around their own mates. Also, stay away from black men if you have low self-esteem... they will make you do all types of crazy **** trying to proving you are foriegn or bi-racial.:mad::perplexed:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:Oops! Maybe she is dating someone from TBM.com?

Well, if she is in Canada, why didn't she just skin a polar bear:
ROOOOOAAAAAAARRRR!:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

dimpalz

Henrietta said:
Girl, you have stated my exact feelings on the lace front!
The enboldened parts is just my exact problem as well...My baby hairs really extend down and putting a lace front one inch above where they end will touch my brow :look:

ITA, my siggy pic says it all. I got my eyebrows threaded last week and I swear that woman was headed for my hairline! I started a thread a while back asking wat ladies do with the natural baby hair. I never really did find an answer.

cheetarah1980

dimpalz said:
ITA, my siggy pic says it all. I got my eyebrows threaded last week and I swear that woman was headed for my hairline! I started a thread a while back asking wat ladies do with the natural baby hair. I never really did find an answer.
dimpalz, I LOVE your plaits in your siggy. So cute.

Well honestly, what these women choose to do and think, it isn't hurting anyone else. I mean, if someone is willing to go to that extreme to have long, straight, natural looking hair...why not? I'm sure if there was some magical pill invented that could give any black woman waistlength, silky, Indian-textured locks, a majority of black women who could afford it would jump on the bandwagon. These ladies have just found a realistic alternative. A lot of ladies on this board are after the same thing...long, silky, shiny gorgeous hair. We are just choosing a more natural route.

Ladyhenri

dimpalz said:

Girl, thats some beautiful baby hair you've got there. Its similar to mine as well. My main hair starts at the normal position, but i have those reaally soft fine hairs all round the front of my head:p.
As for what to do with them? I'd say Nothing. They frame the face nicely IMO.

Ladyhenri

blue_flower said:
This is interesting. I went on youtube and this girl had a tutorial on how to apply a lace front wig. Her baby hairs and her hairline were shaved because she said the wig won't adhere to the glue strip if the hair was in the way. I was bewildered by that. But it was still a decent DIY.

Yup...
There is another lacefront thread going here that provides links on how to attach lace fronts.
Was it just me that thought that the girl attaching the lacefront (i think the first link provided) either had a very damaged front line, or had shaved it so that the lace front would fit better?

Iluvsmuhgrass

I toyed around with getting a lace front but I know me..... lol and I decided against it. I didn't want to spend the cash (I'm frugal) and I didn't want to damage my sensitive hairline.
In all honesty though I totally adore the fact that it looks natural. What baffles me is how is it that you can see scalp through the wig? I mean.... your hair is under it right? If you have alot of hair how can you see scalp? :look:

PinkSkates

From my understanding, lacefront wigs were invented by pioneer hair stylist in the entertainment industry for actors. The lace disappears after the heavy make-up has been applied and after the professional lighting is in place. Lacefront wigs were not meant for Sheniqua to wear down the street to the local 7-elevan. We see Beyonce and Tyra in lacefront wigs all the time because they are in front of a tv camera 14 hours a day 5 days a week. They are paid millions of dollars to do damaging things to their hair. Sheniqua will wake up one day and have to take off her lacefront wig; and her hairline will be long gone and she wont have millions of dollars in her bank account to compensate for her hair loss. She will be a semi-bald headed sista' wondering what happened to her pretty natual hair.:perplexed

guesswho

pinkskates said:
From my understanding, lacefront wigs were invented by pioneer hair stylist in the entertainment industry for actors. The lace disappears after the heavy make-up has been applied and after the professional lighting is in place. Lacefront wigs were not meant for Sheniqua to wear down the street to the local 7-elevan. We see Beyonce and Tyra in lacefront wigs all the time because they are in front of a tv camera 14 hours a day 5 days a week. They are paid millions of dollars to do damaging things to their hair. Sheniqua will wake up one day and have to take off her lacefront wig; and her hairline will be long gone and she wont have millions of dollars in her bank account to compensate for her hair loss. She will be a semi-bald headed sista' wondering what happened to her pretty natual hair.:perplexed

Dead! Dead! Dead!, omg! My stomach you have me laughing loud in the office, this is toooooo funny, lol

Mars_Reiko

pinkskates said:

:lol::lol: Girl you crazy. I agree though. It's basically for entertainment purposes. I think it's too much work for everyday use:ohwell:

sweetwhispers

redRiot said:
Well honestly, what these women choose to do and think, it isn't hurting anyone else. I mean, if someone is willing to go to that extreme to have long, straight, natural looking hair...why not? I'm sure if there was some magical pill invented that could give any black woman waistlength, silky, Indian-textured locks, a majority of black women who could afford it would jump on the bandwagon. These ladies have just found a realistic alternative. A lot of ladies on this board are after the same thing...long, silky, shiny gorgeous hair. We are just choosing a more natural route.

Exactly. People could say, why do use relaxers that burn the scalp and are full of chemicals or why use flat irons/hot combs which are damaging to the hair all just for straight hair? Why get extensions which pull at the root? Don't the majority of people here comment about their hair "swang". Lets not forget the infamous "our hair is a curse" thread where people pretty much told the truth- why hone in on certain methods people use? If its not directly hurting you why criticise?

WhipEffectz1

pinkskates said:

Ummmm yes ma'am. I mean to each their own but I don't see what the big deal is about lacefronts. They seem very damaging to the hair. My temples have looked like a veteran chicken had picked them a while ago so I'm not about to undo all of my progress for a lacefront. I think I will admire lacefronts from afar.

Eiano

Ugh,

I've seen this thread a few times and each time I just roll my eyes and shake my head.... (especially about the mental part)

These "people" (if this post is true at all) have problems no matter what they have on their head. Whether or not they're wearing lace fronts, they could be wearing blue contacts, getting a rhinoplasty, bleaching....
All cosmetic procedures, surgical or not, won't change the ignorance you already have within you. So these people saying "girl I'm an Indian girl now!"... their problem is not their front, it's their problem with this social construct of light equals right that's bringing them down....

Now if you want a lace front because your hair is short/thick and you want longer thicker hair, then by all means go ahead!!!

As for the physical part, all hair styles can be damaging... I wouldn't ever glue anything to my head!! :nono:

pisceschica

angellazette said:

There are many adhesives that contain Toulene and there are also adhesives that do not contain Toulene. Basebond and Cool Piece's adhesives are safe. There are also medical grade adhesives as well. Some decide to use adhesives with Toulene because they may get better hold but I'd never risk my health. I used Basebond. You have to research. If an adhesive was giving me problems, I would stop immediately. Some decide to keep using it. You just have to use common sense.

This italicized is far from true. When you measure your head, you are supposed to add an inch to your hairline measurements to allow you the ability to put the lacefront in front of your natural hairline, thus avoiding any adhesive or tape coming in contact with your natural hairline. This is what I did and had no breakage. I actually wore my lacefront to grow out my edges that were damaged from micros.

The units I had were curly Indian remy. They also have straight hair and kinkier textures as well. Black women have all types of hair textures.

My husband (and anyone else who asked) knew it was not mine. Trying to keep it secret from my husband would be entirely too much drama. I rather snatch the wig off at night and go to bed.

Agree 100%

If you're having problem with glue on your hairline then you made a mistake when you measured. When you measure for one you have to measure atleast 3/4 inch to 1 inch past your hairline. When you get your wig then you cut the excess lace so that its past your hairline. You're going to have to get rid of peach fuzz on your forehead but if you measure correctly you shouln't compromise your hairline.

If you're having problems with sensitivity to glue you either have to try different ones or just stop it completely if you can't find one that doesn't cause bad skin reactions.

pisceschica

angellazette said:

Agree 100%

If you're having problem with glue on your hairline then you made a mistake when you measured. When you measure for one you have to measure atleast 3/4 inch to 1 inch past your hairline. When you get your wig then you cut the excess lace so that its past your hairline. You're going to have to get rid of peach fuzz on your forehead but if you measure correctly you shouln't compromise your hairline.

If you're having problems with sensitivity to glue you either have to try different ones or just stop it completely if you can't find one that doesn't cause bad skin reactions.

Most of the other stuff mentioned like husband not knowing or someone having a racial crisis identity is up to that individual. Some people are honest about it some are not.

angellazette

I can see why someone with a low hairline would choose against it because you really don't have much to work with. I have major forehead lol so adding extra inch to my measurements was no problem. I never had the lacefront damage my edges or glue come in contact with my hair. Hell I've never had any wig damage my edges actually.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Eiano said:
Ugh,

I've seen this thread a few times and each time I just roll my eyes and shake my head.... (especially about the mental part)

These "people" (if this post is true at all) have problems no matter what they have on their head. Whether or not they're wearing lace fronts, they could be wearing blue contacts, getting a rhinoplasty, bleaching....
All cosmetic procedures, surgical or not, won't change the ignorance you already have within you. So these people saying "girl I'm an Indian girl now!"... their problem is not their front, it's their problem with this social construct of light equals right that's bringing them down....

Now if you want a lace front because your hair is short/thick and you want longer thicker hair, then by all means go ahead!!!

As for the physical part, all hair styles can be damaging... I wouldn't ever glue anything to my head!! :nono:

You rock. :)

dimpalz

Henrietta said:
Girl, thats some beautiful baby hair you've got there. Its similar to mine as well. My main hair starts at the normal position, but i have those reaally soft fine hairs all round the front of my head:p.
As for what to do with them? I'd say Nothing. They frame the face nicely IMO.

Thanks! Yeah mine are like that although from some angles it can look like my hairline is thinning. I'm tired of telling people that's just how it grows!

iluvsmuhgrass said:
OT: Girl you are so beautiful!

:blush: lol lets not go crazy now, but thank you!