Retaining length for fine hair ladies

Thiends

Hi Ladies, what are you fine hair ladies doing to retain the length you are growing. Please explain how you are maintaining your length. What is your length.
Mid-back length.

Protective styling, low manipulation, always using a leave-in, and not shampooing (I use ayurvedic powders and apple cider vinegar to clarify as needed) are how I take care of my hair.

Last edited:

*Muffin*

Sometimes I feel like I'm in a losing battle trying to retain length with my fine, but plentiful, hair. But I'm not giving up! My hair seems to like to stay in the realm in between APL and BSL, but I'm going to try my hardest to reduce the amount of breakage and handle my hair with care so that I can finally break the BSL barrier!

caribgirl

Fine relaxed hair, checking in:
-use only a shower comb to detangle when wet ONLY; finger comb btwn washes

-Limit heat as much as possible

-stay away from braidouts- I love them but they cause my hair to tangle so badly

-checking my moisture/protein balance at every wash

-use acv rinses or Porosity Control to keep my hair balanced. I use protein only when needed; my hair does not love protein so every 2 weeks is enough most times. Henna does well with my hair as well- makes it stronger...I really need to get back to it.

-cowash every other day and wet bun loosely

- apply a light moisturizer like NTM daily.

- DC with heat at least once a week

shai_butta

Anyone know of a daily protein leave that smells good that I can use?

I love Kenra Daily Provision. The smell is very light though but here are the ingredients:
"chamomile, horse chestnut, sage, nettle, lemon balm, coltsfoot leaf, rosemary, birch and horsetail in purified water, amodimethicone, polyquaternium-11; certrimonium chloride, hydrolyzed silk protein, nonoxynol-10, octocynol-13; benzophenone-4; imidazolindinyl urea; methylparaben; propylparaben; citric acid, and fragrance."

It has some silk protein in it.

ElegantPearl17

Ok Ladies... as a newbie with fine, relaxed hair APL (as of right now) After this catastophe, I don't know what it will be because I have a SERIOUS issue going on with my hair right now. :sad:

On yesterday, I prepooed with EVOO on dry hair and then proceeded to wash with Keri-care Moisturizing shampoo, next I DC with ORS with a little JBCO and EVOO, and Roux porosity control for about 20 min under the dryer. Once I rinsed out the DC I noticed my hair was completely mushy, soft, and very pliable, but I was happy because it was not tangled and I could easily get a comb thru it. I then used Aphogee Green tea as my leave in with a little CHI silk (Sally offbrand one) and proceeded to roller set my hair. Once I was dry, my hair looked ok..so I wrapped it and wore a silk scarf to bed....

But this morning...OMG!!! My hair is shedding like you would not believe. I literally touch it and the strands are falling on the floor. :wallbash: Please send advice.. I don't now whether I should wash it again tonight? or wait a couple of days? I did have a Aphogee two-step treament the weekend before so I think it may be too soon for that. I also did a co-wash on Wed. with Suave and Kericare Humectress, bit I did not have any issues until this morning.

HELP!!!!

LaidBak

This sounds so much like my hair *sigh*

Ok Ladies... as a newbie with fine, relaxed hair APL (as of right now) After this catastophe, I don't know what it will be because I have a SERIOUS issue going on with my hair right now. :sad:

On yesterday, I prepooed with EVOO on dry hair and then proceeded to wash with Keri-care Moisturizing shampoo, next I DC with ORS with a little JBCO and EVOO, and Roux porosity control for about 20 min under the dryer. Once I rinsed out the DC I noticed my hair was completely mushy, soft, and very pliable, but I was happy because it was not tangled and I could easily get a comb thru it. I then used Aphogee Green tea as my leave in with a little CHI silk (Sally offbrand one) and proceeded to roller set my hair. Once I was dry, my hair looked ok..so I wrapped it and wore a silk scarf to bed....

But this morning...OMG!!! My hair is shedding like you would not believe. I literally touch it and the strands are falling on the floor. :wallbash: Please send advice.. I don't now whether I should wash it again tonight? or wait a couple of days? I did have a Aphogee two-step treament the weekend before so I think it may be too soon for that. I also did a co-wash on Wed. with Suave and Kericare Humectress, bit I did not have any issues until this morning.

HELP!!!!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
My hair is crazy fine. I retain length by low manipulation. I basically know how much my hair can take. I don't shampoo any more than once a week (co-wash either).

No direct heat.

Don't hang onto bad ends (dusting/trimming/S&D's). This has been so important for me to retain length.

I don't dc that much....maybe like once a month, protein as well. I don't see dc'ing as a huge part in retaining for me but more so using quality moisturizers and oils.

I keep my hair up and covered when i'm at home so that's the most protective styling I do. When I leave the house i always let it out. I'm not a protective styler as far as buns and updo's and stuff on a daily basis.

My hair is hip-length i think....it's quite a bit past waist anyway.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Fine doesn't necessarily pertain to thickness. Fine can also refer to hair texture. For instance, my thickness is medium but my strands are fine.
Exactly, fine actually has nothing to do with thickness, it's all strand size. Someone with super thick hair can still have fine hair.

I can see where it gets confusing because people in real life use "fine" as meaning thin.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Good Thread for the Fine Hair Folks :up:

I have very fine relaxed hair and I have to use protein every wash. However, I always follow with a heavy lathering of Elucence MBC. My hair has to stay strong or it will break, even though I'm a no-comber/lo-mani. I moisturize and seal daily. Some of my protein products include Joico K-Pak Recons., Aveda DR, Megatek (scalp only), Dudley's DRC, Cathy Howse UBH. I moisturize everyday with Elucence sprinkled with water and seal with Vatika and/or Shescentit Seyani HB.

Addtitional tips I use:
  • always parting my hair down the middle and keeping it this way during washing and conditioning (i.e., no multi-directional manipulation during the wash/cond process)
  • limited use of products with cones
  • pre-pooing and detangling with a comb prior to washing once I get deep in my stretch
  • if washing with shampoo deep in the stretch, I use a moisturizing cond (i.e., Elucence, Aubrey HSR, etc.) which is combed through under running water prior to using any protein and this ensures that the protein will not lock my hair up
  • my final step is ALWAYS with a moisturizing cond (Elucence) which is combed through and rinsed under running water
IMHO, fine hair is also more prone to split ends and loses it's shape quicker than thicIker hair. Consequently, I cannot go for months on end (i.e., over 3 -4) without a trim. I purposely tested this theory on 2 separate occasions and my hair continuously had to be cut back to APL.

I hope this helps someone.

Definitely!!!:yep: I've been saying this for a while now. It's the reason why trimming/dusting and S&D's are SO important to me. My fine hair splits like mad NO MATTER WHAT I DO.

I recently got some seamless combs to hopefully help out with this. Anything to try and reduce splitting.

PrissyMiss

Exactly, fine actually has nothing to do with thickness, it's all strand size. Someone with super thick hair can still have fine hair.

I can see where it gets confusing because people in real life use "fine" as meaning thin.

Yes! And it annoys the crap out of me. I have been lurking on this board for years and have always felt that when it came to the fine-haired ladies we get the short end of the stick becuase people always inter-mix the words. :spinning:

nycutiepie

Definitely!!!:yep: I've been saying this for a while now. It's the reason why trimming/dusting and S&D's are SO important to me. My fine hair splits like mad NO MATTER WHAT I DO.

I recently got some seamless combs to hopefully help out with this. Anything to try and reduce splitting.

I forgot to add that I use seamless combs and they really do help.

NaturalPath

Natural, fine, and BSB/BSL checking in

I have always struggled with single stranded knots and split ends :(

but I have found that I NEED protein! I use AO GPB conditioner approximately once a week and the aphogee hard core treatment 1x month.

I have also found out that being natural and fine is hard especially if your trying to achieve long lengths. I love my wash n go's but I have found that if you really want to retain your length you will probably have to do more low manipulation styles like buns, rollersets (In my case any style that keeps the hair straighter)

Also co-wash for me is a nono, if my hair gets too soft its more prone to splitting.

ElegantPearl17

:feedback: Bumping for suggestions..

HELP!!!!

NaturalPath

:feedback: Bumping for suggestions..

I will attempt to help

hmmmm it looks like maybe your hair is overmoisturized?

Is it shedding with long strands or is it actually breaking off?

I would suggest:
- maybe doing a light protein treatment since you have already done the hardcore. Usually if my hair sheds 1-2 things helps (protein treatment and or garlic infused conditioner treatment.)
-With fine hair you have to be careful with your protein and moisture balance, that means IMO co-washing and deep conditioning within the same week may be too much moisture for our fragile fine hair.

MizzCoco

ITA with the bolded...I know when I used to go to the salon for relaxers after stretching for 15-16 weeks, those beauticians used to run for the super strength relaxers! And I was left with limp, damaged, overprocessed hair every time. It wasn't until I met a quality stylist who actually took the time to look at my individual strands, that I realized that my hair needed a mild relaxer, my strands were too fine and fragile, but they're just packed in really densely

Last edited:

KittyMeowMeow

HELP!!!!

I'm sorry to hear about this!

My guess is that this is because of the Porosity Control. It should only be left in 30 seconds or so. I believe it is acidic. A similar thing happened to me when I was trying a cure to get wax out of my hair- multiple clarifying shampoos followed by ACV rinses (acidic). The ACV rinse was prob too strong. My hair does not normally shed much (1-2 hairs per day), but about 7 hairs came out on the spot! I had increased shedding for a few days after too.

It went back to normal, but I'm not sure exactly what I did...If it happened to me again, I'd either rinse well and wait for it to go back to normal, or wash with a gentle moisturizing shampoo, and if neither of those worked maybe something to pH balance the other way like a light baking soda rinse (alkaline). Sorry I can't be of more help! Whatever you do, I'd advice nothing to drastic, at least to start since that can make the problem worse (as I learned by trying to get that wax out)!

Good luck!

Also, you may want to start a new thread on this- you will probably get more help...

Last edited:

KittyMeowMeow

Hmmm, weekly protein seems to be working for so many people...I have been trying to figure out how often do do this, so I think I'll try weekly!

Does anyone have a cone-free protein conditioner that they like (hopefully natural-ish)?

MizzCoco

Hmmm, weekly protein seems to be working for so many people...I have been trying to figure out how often do do this, so I think I'll try weekly!

Does anyone have a cone-free protein conditioner that they like (hopefully natural-ish)?
Mill Creek makes a really good natural protein conditioner, I have it in my stash, I like it, left my hair really soft, I found it at Marshalls, but you can get it at any health food website...here are the ingredients

pGNC1-5933482dt.jpg

Biotin, Stearyl Alcohol, Oleamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Citric Acid, Organic Essential Oil, certified organic aloe vera gel, Peppermint Oil, Quaternium-15, Sodium Chloride, Corn Oil, Citric Acid, retinyl palmitate (vitamin A), botanical fragrance, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Ceteareth 20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Dicetyldimonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Panthenol (pro-vitamin B5), Deionized Water

Vintageglam

I'm APL but heading towards BSB/BSL, the way I retain might be a little different and not for everyone but it's helped my mum and I. (She's a little below BSL but not quite MBL.)

- Stretching relaxers
- Detangling before shampooing
- Using oil to detangle new growth
- Deep Conditioning
- Switching from using heavy protein treatments every 2-3 months to lighter protein treatments every few weeks
- Cutting out the use of moisturizers after conditioning

I know people might disagree with the last one but when I used to moisturize my hair it would be limp, extra greasy, and I'd always find tons of little hairs around my sink from breakage. :nono: Now if I need added moisture I just use moisture rich conditioners.

I have been trying the bolded recently and it really works. I think I was making my fine hair over mushy.

NIN4eva

Have any of you ladies gotten breakage/thinning at the hairline due to rollersetting?

My edges and nape got a little tender from wet ponytail roller sets with the so-called "no damage" fabric ponytail holders, so I switched to silicon rubber bands and have given up on trying to get my roots straight by roller setting. My edges and nape have thanked me for it. Silicon rubber bands are soooo gentile! You can either leave them a little loose and slide them right out or make tighter ponytails for smoother roots and then just cut them right out to remove them because you get like a billion rubber bands in the package. Not to mention they leave practically no crease.

Duchesse

My hair is fine and dense, 9 months into transition. Sadly, the best thing for me right now is cornrows under wigs. I'd like to wear my hair out more, but my strands get soooooo tangled up together.

My hair is SL now and the longest it's been was APL when I was younger. Back then I washed my hair very infrequently, 2x monthly at most, was natural and got it blow dried and pressed, wore it in buns and the infamous 90s french roll.

As my natural hair is getting longer, I've been using light heat again to keep it more stretched and less susceptible to tangles. I need to be careful with this though.

So basically for me, being low mani and as stretched as it can get w/o damaging it in the process. Ive also been pondering going back to washing less frequently, but I don't know about that one.

Last edited:

aa9746

I am fine, dense, and mostly coarse. I am so over the whole protective styling (twists) and no heat. I thought I was giving my hair a break and all I ended up with were even more tangles.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I had to stop the twists because they would combine and tangle when I kept them in longer than a week. With braids I can wash condition as much as I want and they don't combine. Much better for my strands.

Imani

My hair is doing much better since I stopped relaxing. Both my hair and scalp were just so fragile from the chemicals

also, steam deep conditioners, water based misturizers, oil, and lo manipulation.

One thing I know my hair hated was baggying or overnight conditioning. It made my hair weak and mushy.

Also, going the no heat route never worked for me , didn't c any improvement in my hair. If anything , sometimes it would just be more tangled and harder to deal with, it would sometimes snap even if I gently fingercombed it. When I first made it to one of my goals I did it getting my hair flat ironed weekly. However I never ever ever ever put heat on dirty hair