Response video to comments about Maximum Hydration

koolkittychick

On Terressentials' website, they describe the product as:
Our Hair Wash is a pure, totally natural, clay-based product blended with soothing organic herbals....

Aketafitgirl also said she uses Terressentials because she doesn't want to mix her own clay and because it's easier for her.

In the first link you posted, entitled "Curly Girl Demo" (from 2013), she says she uses ACV. In this update you posted from 2014, she says she still does her curly girl method. I think she calls her regimen "curly girl method" because it is consistent with the basic CG Method (no silicones and no sulfates). I didn't hear in her update video that her regimen changed; in fact, she said she kept it the same.

Only using ACV is consistent with the MHM. You can do MHM without ever using baking soda.
http://maxhydrationmethod.com/the-max-hydration-method-regimen/

Aketafitgirl is still, after doing this for well over a year, a type 4. Her curls are still smaller than a pencil. She is now MBL.

Thanks again for the reminder about being careful with mixing our own products, especially with baking soda. :)

AJellyCake,

I saw the clay-based statement, but I stand by the aloe vera juice, which is listed as the first (and therefore most plentiful) product in the cleanser. Clay-based cleanser does not equal clay wash, but that is just splitting hairs, so to speak. :grin:

I didn't say her regimen changed either; I was stating that she called it the Curly Girl Method, not MHM, and that she is not using baking soda.

And yes, she has lovely, defined, type 4 curls, so this method is working for her. Never said parts of it couldn't work for some people, and I think it has to do with the fact that she is consistent and keeps it simple--and gentle. :yep:

No worries about the baking soda thing; like I said, that is the thing to be most wary of regarding MHM. :yep:

aharri23

@AJellyCake,

I saw the clay-based statement, but I stand by the aloe vera juice, which is listed as the first (and therefore most plentiful) product in the cleanser. Clay-based cleanser does not equal clay wash, but that is just splitting hairs, so to speak. :grin:

I didn't say her regimen changed either; I was stating that she called it the Curly Girl Method, not MHM, and that she is not using baking soda.

And yes, she has lovely, defined, type 4 curls, so this method is working for her. Never said parts of it couldn't work for some people, and I think it has to do with the fact that she is consistent and keeps it simple--and gentle. :yep:

No worries about the baking soda thing; like I said, that is the thing to be most wary of regarding MHM. :yep:

LOL, omg you are too much. Aketafitgirl's regimen is exactly the same as MHM except she uses Terressentials (which can also be used for MHM) You said in a previous post the MHM will damage your hair over time unless modified like Aketafitgirl (The method was derived from her, so im not sure what you're saying. She didn't modify anything ) Then you start praising aketafitgirl's regimen by saying it is "gentle" and whatnot. I mean can you stop contradicting yourself? How you gonna praise aketafitgirl's regimen and then side-eye the MHM when they are basically the SAME THING?

I'm done discussing because this is really crazy logic going on right here. All MHM naysers are all going off of emotion and not logic, but y'all wanna call us hair nazis? Hmm..pot kettle black. Have a good discussion y'all!

koolkittychick

LOL, omg you are too much. Aketafitgirl's regimen is exactly the same as MHM except she uses Terressentials (which can also be used for MHM) You said in a previous post the MHM will damage your hair over time unless modified like Aketafitgirl (The method was derived from her, so im not sure what you're saying. She didn't modify anything ) Then you start praising aketafitgirl's regimen by saying it is "gentle" and whatnot. I mean can you stop contradicting yourself? How you gonna praise aketafitgirl's regimen and then side-eye the MHM when they are basically the SAME THING?

I'm done discussing because this is really crazy logic going on right here. All MHM naysers are all going off of emotion and not logic, but y'all wanna call us hair nazis? Hmm..pot kettle black. Have a good discussion y'all!

aharri23,

I am not the one sounding emotional here, nor am I contradicting myself if you are really reading my posts. But so be it, I guess you want to lash out at someone, and it's alright if you choose me. Namaste, and I truly wish you well on your HHJ. :yep:

snoop

Terresentials actually has you cleanse multiple times per day of the detox period.

Day 1: Three washes, as outlined above (one after the other, leaving the mud on the hair for several minutes before rinsing after the third wash). This is all in the same bath/shower—it’s not necessary to take three separate showers!
Day 2: Three washes
Day 3: Two washes
Day 4: Two washes
Days 5-7+: One wash

It's multiple times but not necessarily throughout the day. Also the amount of time that you was for is WAY less "To start, wet your hair, massage 1-2 tablespoons of “mud” into the hair and scalp for two to four minutes then rinse well." So day 1 of the detox will take anywhere between 6-12 minutes in a single wash session.

Just wanted to put that it there for anyone who wanted to try it.

snoop

As for whose method is MHM and whose isn't, I'm pretty sure Pinke mentions that any method that provides max hydration is a max hydration method. She borrowed the term from another source. It's an umbrella term.

That was something I should have added earlier when I mentioned how issues were getting confused on here, but I was distracted by the TV. :lol:

CocoGlow

For any who may be confused about MHM:

The Baking Soda Rinse (diluted with Water + Conditioner) is the option for Low Porosity Hair

The ACV Rinse (diluted with water) is the option for High Porosity Hair

Anyone can alternate between both rinse options to see what works best for their hair or just to switch it up (personal choice)

A person with Low Porosity hair will not suffer damage from proper use of Baking Soda because the cuticles need to opened in order to absorb moisture. Heat is also recommended to open the cuticle but often times is not enough on it's own (as many of us with Low Porosity have learned from years of following other regimens that call for using heat with a Deep Conditioner but don't call for properly opening up the cuticles beforehand).

Frequent use of ACV for those with Low Porosity might actually cause brittleness and dryness due to the fact that it closes the cuticles that are already tightly shut naturally and will not allow moisture to get in. The same fears expressed in this thread about the use of Baking Soda apply to those with Low Porosity who instead use ACV because someone here or on Youtube claim that it is better or safer. :spinning:

And of course those with High Porosity hair whose cuticles are already wide open may want to stay away from Baking Soda option and use the ACV option instead. Some are fine with the Baking Soda Rinse adjusted to their needs. :yep:

And yes Aketafitgirl is one of the inspirations for the MHM. She has HIGH POROSITY hair so of course she uses the ACV rinse and Clay frequently and uses the Baking Soda Rinse less often. Her regimen basically IS the MHM for High Porosity hair - So praising HER regimen as gentler and safer is essentially praising the MHM so Thank You :grin:

DanaBNatural is another person on Youtube that inspired the MHM - she has LOW POROSITY hair and frequently uses Baking Soda and Clay with great results. :yep:

Last edited: