Relaxed Heads............what temperature do you flat iron on?

StarScream35

I've long been curious about what is the appropriate temperature to flat iron relxed hair and I've been curious as to what temperature stylists use. As far as I can tell from observation. they leave their tools on all day never adjusting the heat from head to head. I tend to try to observe this when I see stylists doing hair but they seem to use the same heat on everyone. I would think different hair types require different amounts of heat right? So is there one set temp that is appropriate for everyone?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Sedu - 230ish to 260. It took my stubborn self awhile to lower the temp to see if it would still produce results. I was and still am quite amazed that I get good results at those temps. I am relaxed bone straight and do not blow dry.

IMFOCSD

I use the fhi on my texlaxed hair on 350....it goes up to 460 but I'm a Lil scurred to put it that high though lol.

Last edited:

StarScream35

Wow. Some of you are up in the 300's. Very interesting. Thanks for the replies! You've been very helpful!

Mische

I use my FHI Platform at 350 degrees to straighten my new growth. I rarely flat iron the length, but if I do I take it down a notch to about 300 degrees.

thebelleofelle

does anyone know the temp on the fhi that doesn't have a heat adjuster??? being trying to figure this out for the longest

tia

almondjoi85

The lowest setting possible! 240 on my Paul Mitchell and even still I move it kinda fast. I don't want to fry my hair even a little bit.

NIN4eva

I haven't used heat in months and now that I have highlights I don't plan to anytime soon, but I have a cheapie Revlon ceramic flat iron that has settings from 1-25. Whenever I went above "2" a had breakage.

If my hair was freshly washed and blow dried with heat a protectant (that doubled as a blow dry and flat iron lotion) I could use "1" and get it as straight and sleek as I would using the highest setting.

Another little trick I used is RIGHT after I flat ironed a section I would put a little tiny bit of Kinky curly curling custard (my go to product to retain moisture when styling) on the ends to seal in moisture and smoothness. Not enough to make the hair wet, but just enough to provide hold. I found that it really kept my ends nice and straight a whole lot longer.