What temperature is your flat iron on?

Honey-Dip

Hey ladies,
Help please...I am about to flat iron my hair with a FHI. What temperature setting do you use when you straighten? TIA!

Last edited:

MyAngelEyez~C~U

350-375 gives me relaxer-straight results in one pass. ETA I have an H2Pro 204 LE (FHI Runway twin).

Last edited:

faithVA

Thanks for asking this question Honey-Dip. I have never straightened my hair but I certainly want to know for future reference.

Guitarhero

I do BKT and crank to 450 as recommended with the Rusk. Just today, I saw irons that go up to 465. What's next? 500? If I trusted I'd get the same results on BKT with less heat, I'd do 350-375 easily. I think it's better for your hair at low temps when you don't have that hard keratin fusion in it.

AwesomelyNappy

i wish i knew what temperature it correlated with, but on my Maxiglide, lately I've been turning the dial to 5-6 for the back of my head, and 4 in the crown and front (to avoid heat damage).

It gets the job done for me.

westNDNbeauty

@Honey-Dip

Becareful and be very critical of the way you use the information you get in this thread. That answer is totally based on texture and thickness of strands. For example, I use my flat iron at 375 at the crown of my head and 300 in the back. I am 4a, some 4b and some 3c. Different textures warrant different temperatures. It may be a good idea to also ask the texture/hair type when asking this question.

For this reason, I will not flat iron another person's hair (unless they waive their rights not to be mad if their hair is heat damaged) or let someone flat iron my hair. When you learn your hair, you learn what temperatures are most appropriate.

If you haven't figured out what temp works best for you, it will take a little trial and error.

...and don't forget the moisture! It actually helps you to use a lower temperature for great results.

Honey-Dip

Thanks so much ladies. Westndnbeauty-thanks so much for that information and guidance. I am already nervous about it. Honestly, after this it will probably be years before I have the urge to straighten again. It is "kinda scary" for me. I love my kinky coils!

Tiye

I do BKT and crank to 450 as recommended with the Rusk. Just today, I saw irons that go up to 465. What's next? 500? If I trusted I'd get the same results on BKT with less heat, I'd do 350-375 easily. I think it's better for your hair at low temps when you don't have that hard keratin fusion in it.

I've heard in Japan they have irons that go to 600 F - but they don't sell them to just anyone. I have a babyliss titanium that goes to 465 and my electric pressing comb goes to 500.

OP why not test a small piece of your hair carefully, turn the dial up gradually until you hit the right temp for your hair. And keep in mind you probably have different textures on different parts of your head so you might need to adjust the dial a bit as needed.

Nonie

what brand do u have?

SimJam, Babyliss Pro Ceramic Flat Iron. I don't have it handy and my memory is like a sieve but I think it is this one:

Babyliss PRO BAB2563 Professional 1½ Inch Wide Vented Ceramic Flat Iron
Product Description

Babyliss Pro Ceramic Hair Straightener 1.5 “Flat Hair Iron. In reviewing the temperature reached 230 degrees. Iron is ideal for all hair types. Thin is light and easy to make a lead plate meneuver Mobile offers full contact the whole surface. 200 power.

Product Features

* Ceramic creates a shiny, smooth finish
* Ceramic emits reflectives which smooth and relax hair
* Ceramic revitalizes and renews hair”s shine
* 200 Watts of power Up to 446ºF (230ºC) Salon temperature
* Generates far infrared heat to protect hair luster
(Source)

Last edited:

baddison

natural for good
I have a FHI Platform, and I use 370 to straighten. I take really small, thin sections, and I only need one pass.

LaFemmeNaturelle

As high as it can go! 410-450 depending on what iron I'm using

ETA: Recently straightened my hair with a new iron. IT's a Conair Nano Silver something idk but it only goes up to 395 so that's what I use and it gets my hair really straight in one pass. I guess those high temps arent as necessary as I thought but I'm still gonna use 395. Don't have time for trial and error.

Last edited:

SmilingElephant

I have a GVP flat iron and i put it on 410 degrees....relaxer straight..and stays straight for days until around day 6 then my hair may start to shrink back up.

TruMe

Does anyone know what temperature the Chi iron goes to? I got this last year when all the hype happened with them but am disappointed that there is just an on/off switch, no temperature gauge. I don't straighten my hair because I am going moving towards the curly look but my daughter still wants the straight look and so I use it on her hair. I straighten her hair once a week with one pass using Design Essentials Silk Elements and it stays straight all week. She just rolls her hair at night and goes in the morning. I am loving it but I just wanted to know what the temp is at. Sorry for the long, unnecessary information. :lol:

Nonie

Does anyone know what temperature the Chi iron goes to?

TruMe Not sure if this is accurate, but here you go:

All about CHI Flat Irons

There are 5 different types of the CHI ceramic flat iron available. They are:

1. The Original CHI (1") that operates at a fixed temperature (350 degrees F).

2. The new CHI Turbo (1/2", 1" and 2") has a variable temperature (between 175 and 350 degrees F)

3. The CHI Nano (1" and 1.25" models) that actually sterilizes itself and kills bacteria on the handle. The temperature can be set between 300 and 350 degrees F. Some CHI Nano models have a digital control to tell you precisely what the temperature of the iron is.

4. The mini CHI, aka, the wee CHI (1/2"). Same as the original CHI but in a 1/2" format.

5. The wet to dry CHI (1"). This iron allows you to style damp hair (must be at least 90% dry).

Of course, there are some limited edition models available too. Namely the pink CHI, the red CHI, the CHI with hearts, the blue CHI and the stars and stripes CHI.
(Source)

Last edited:

Stella B.

As high as it can go while straightening with 1-2 passes without burning, or smoking. For me, this is somewhere around 325 degrees. The condition, length, thickness and texture of your hair will determine which temp is right for you. Heat control is really an individual thing. I'm just now learning how to use it sensibly so I won't be afraid of heat damage, like I had in the past...All my irons now have a temperature control dial. This makes life so much easier. It's worth the added dollars to know how hot my irons are.

EllePixie

I used 410, but my hair is med/coarse so I probably should have used 450 to get my hair super straight. I was scared to damage my hair though.

WaistLengthDreams

I'm relaxed. But on my NG I use my GVP Chi at 370F. I get silky straight results (especially when I use my protein leave-ins/heat protectants, like Aphogee green tea or chi silk infusion).