Relaxed Heads - How often do you moisturize?

How often do you moisturize???

• 1-2x daily

Votes: 158 60.1%
  • A few times a week

Votes: 65 24.7%
  • As needed (explain)

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Never

Votes: 9 3.4%

• Total voters

marta9227

Twice a day using scurl and wheat germ oil now although that varies. The moisture is what is important its the only thing that grows my hair!

Sent from my LG Optimus M using LG Optimus M

Nat1984

How often do you moisturize with a leave-in?

Twice a day

What do you use?

HE LTR and Elasta QP Olive Oil and Mango Butter, and to I seal with Moroccan Oil

What's different about how you moisturize now and how you did it at the beginning of your hair journey?

I'm still at the beginning of my hair journey so I'm still trying to figure out what works for me. I never used to moisturise my hair twice a day, but now that I am co-washing and airdrying I have upped the moisture intake to try and combat frizzy ends!

LushLox

Wash day only (could be once a week, sometimes twice or when i'm lazy in 10 days)

I don't like greasy or weighed down hair and I don't need it since I deep condition.

What do you use?

-Oribe supershine moisturizing cream

-Kerastase Nutri-thermique or ciment thermique(if I need a lil something extra)
-Kerastase Masquintense (i experiment and always come back to this)

What's different about how you moisturize now and how you did it at the beginning of your hair journey?

When I started I used to jump on all of these band wagons and use all of this oil, pre-poo, steam, henna, etc.

I realized that none of that is necessary and I get the best results doing what I've always done which is to deep condition on wash day, use a light leave-in, drink plenty of water and exercise.

I tried some of this yesterday, it's very nice. It has a highly perfumed scent though, very expensive smelling!

HauteHippie

@myjourney

Do you know what it was a/b sealing that didn't work for you?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Nix08 and sunnieb - you girls are trouble. :giggle:

I will increase my moisturizing to 2x daily for the fall/winter. Plus, it will help me put a dent in some product.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Still 2x Per Day, because I am still PS'ing under durag & wig.

And now that Fall is upon us, I will definitely be sticking with this same Regi.

Only more Butters, Creams, Pomades, Oils and Heavier Lotions.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Is it necessary to moisturize zand seal daily with a leave in/water based product? My hair still feels nice and smooth and still has plenty of bounce. I just put 4 drops of kera pro antifrizz serum on the ends every night.

sunnieb

Is it necessary to moisturize zand seal daily with a leave in/water based product? My hair still feels nice and smooth and still has plenty of bounce. I just put 4 drops of kera pro antifrizz serum on the ends every night.

Napp - It really depends on your hair. I have to moisturize 2x a day for optimal moisture retention. However, my hair is dry and coarse. Always has been and always will be. It's just the way it is. I don't seal 2x daily though. Only as needed.

Sounds like your hair is doing fine. Just be sure you pay close attention to your ends.

divachyk

@Napp - I agree with sunnieb except that I can get by with moisturizing 1x daily and rarely sealing when the climate is great and I've been staying on point and on schedule with my regi. During the winter and periods of time when I can't dedicate as much time to my hair, I will up the m/s to 2x daily for safekeeping.

Let your hair drive the frequency and technique used. I once read in LHCF thread that nicely moisturized hair feels cool to the touch. This theory holds true for me. When my hair isn't moisturized properly, I will touch it and it feels everything but cool to the touch. When you achieve the cool to the touch feeling you'll be like a-ha, that's what she was talking about if you haven't achieved it already.

LaidBak

I voted a few times a week, but I should have voted as needed.

On wash days I use a liquid, the creamy leave in, then seal with oil. On non-wash days I mist with a liquid leave in then seal with a touch of oil. If my hair is really dry, and for some reason I cannot wash, I use a creamy leave in as well. I don't overdo it because I have fine hair.

At the beginning of my HJ my hair did not retain moisture and I moisturized twice a day because I had to. After I learned about the cause of that (high porosity), and discovered the cure (Roux PC) My hair now does well with retaining moisture.

4mia

i am still struggling with the whole moisturizer thing. I have no idea if I should use a water based or an oil based. my hair tends to dry out really bad. I was using a conditioner and water spritz however that defeats the whole purpose when wearing my hair straight.
any suggestions, what products are you all using?

GIJane

i am still struggling with the whole moisturizer thing. I have no idea if I should use a water based or an oil based. my hair tends to dry out really bad. I was using a conditioner and water spritz however that defeats the whole purpose when wearing my hair straight.

bump... bump

bajanplums1

maybe i'm doing something wrong, but once i deep condition, i find that my hair does not need anything else until wash day. The more product I add during the week just makes it limp. thoughts?

sunnieb

4mia - My hair is extremely dry and coarse. I moisturize 2x daily with ORS Carrot Oil first followed by NTM Silk Touch. Do you cowash?

maybe i'm doing something wrong, but once i deep condition, i find that my hair does not need anything else until wash day. The more product I add during the week just makes it limp. thoughts?

bajanplums1 - doesn't mean you're doing something wrong, your hair just doesn't need moisturizer that often. I moisturize the heck outta my hair and it's not limp at all. Just the nature of the beast. :yep: Also, be sure you use a clarifying shampoo 1-2x a month just to be sure you remove all product build up. This helps keep limp looking hair at bay.

LoveBeautyKisses

Every night I spray (HS 14 n 1) in my hand and smooth it around my head after I wrap it since I wear my hair down. I next put (Africa’s Best Organics Carrot Tea-Tree Oil Therapy For Body Hair and Scalp)I feel like my hair becomes too oily. Then I put on a stockiin cap and a hair bonnet.

Its fine in the morning though........sometimes

Last edited:

theLovelyStyle

I use cantu shea butter as my moisturizer.

I use this product to moisturize everyday...especially these roots after several weeks post! LOL

HauteHippie

^^^^ me, too! I'd dropped it for like a year and just found the last (unopened) jar I'd randomly bought earlier this year! I uses it tonight while twisting my hair

HauteHippie

I once read in LHCF thread that nicely moisturized hair feels cool to the touch. This theory holds true for me. When my hair isn't moisturized properly, I will touch it and it feels everything but cool to the touch. When you achieve the cool to the touch feeling you'll be like a-ha, that's what she was talking about if you haven't achieved it already.

Aw, man! I don't get this at all divachyk

How can hair be cool to the touch unless you're in a cold room? Will it feel like metal? I wear my hair out the most when I go home. It's hot and humid. Will it ever feel cool to the touch? Aw, shucks... I'm so confused.

divachyk

HauteHippie cool to the touch is a feeling that is hard to explain but once you achieve it you will know it. The best I can explain cool hair is how hair would feel on a cold winter's day when exposed to the cool temps if worn out. Except, this cool to the touch feeling is achieved in any climate. The room doesn't have to be cold for your hair to feel cool to the touch.

HauteHippie

Okay, thanks. Sounds like Hair Nirvana. I shall keep trying. Right now, my hair feels like steel wool (and not cool to the touch).

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I don't use leave-ins - they do BAD BAD things to my hair. Instead I just use a moisturizer cream or butter. I say that re-dampen, moisturize, and seal my hair whenever it is dry and needs it.

What do you use?
Since it is winter it is time to bust out the Qhemet. I use the QB Aethiopika Twisting Butter and coconut/rice bran oil mix after dampening my hair.

When I first started out my hair was very damaged and in poor shape so I had to moisturize daily sometimes twice a day. After a while it turned to every other day and now I can go about every 3-4 days in-between moisturizing and sealing with no ill effects. The better I consistently care for it the healthier it becomes which means the better my hair can hold onto the moisture added to it.