Relaxed Heads - How often do you moisturize?

How often do you moisturize???

• 1-2x daily

Votes: 158 60.1%
  • A few times a week

Votes: 65 24.7%
  • As needed (explain)

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Never

Votes: 9 3.4%

• Total voters

crazytrish75

I MUST moisturize twice a day, especially if I am deep in a stretch. About 8 weeks post, my NG really starts drying out and I will have breakage at the demarcation line if I don't stay on top of things.

I started off using NTM triple silk, which was good, but not quite enough. So now I spritz with my own mix ( aloe vera juice, rosewater and distilled water) then apply Nexxus Humectruss condish, seal with EVCO. If my hair is feeling particularly crispy, I will apply Scurl and seal with my shea butter mix (shea butter, evco, vit e and coconut cream fragrance added).

My ends stay pretty moisturized due to my choice of protective style. I wear a french twist 98% of the time, other times bun or french braid. When I began my HHJ, my hair was in a horrible thin, see-thru W shape from years of overpocessing and heat damage. My crown and nape was severly chewed up. So I have been incessantly babying that area to get it back to healthy and even. I have my EVCO in a squirt bottle and I warm it up until it is liquid and squirt it all down my crown and middle nape (which is my worst area) after applying my leave in. Then I french twist my hair. My ends end up getting tucked into that oily strip, which keeps them moisturized. Works beautifully :grin:!!! And I have seen incredible improvement doing this. Slowly but surely, my hair is coming along. :yep:

I also cowash 2-3 times a week. I also want to add, that i have toyed with the idea of transitioning many times since joining the board. Besides the fact that I adore straight hair, the condition of my new growth when it comes in leads me to think that natural hair on me would require constant, continual pampering, even more so than relaxed hair. No thanks...

Hyacinthe

I usually moisturize once a day and twice a day when Im in a stretch paying close attention to my Ng as well as my ends.

my go to moisturizer is Scurl,it works for me.
I tried to be fancy and try other stuff but why fix what aint broken.

TheVioletVee

1-2x day. I can't stand dry hair. Honestly, I'd pick slightly greasy hair over dry hair any day.

I mainly use Elasta QP Olive Oil and Mango Butter to moisturize; sometimes I'll use Cantu Shea Butter or Aussie Split Protector. To seal I'll use a mix of oils (sweet almond, castor, some essential oils) or shea butter.

In the beginning of my journey, I was using products that didn't work with my hair and I didn't section my hair to get all of it.

sckri23

1-2x day. I can't stand dry hair. Honestly, I'd pick slightly greasy hair over dry hair any day.

I mainly use Elasta QP Olive Oil and Mango Butter to moisturize; sometimes I'll use Cantu Shea Butter or Aussie Split Protector. To seal I'll use a mix of oils (sweet almond, castor, some essential oils) or shea butter.

In the beginning of my journey, I was using products that didn't work with my hair and I didn't section my hair to get all of it.

I want to try Elasta QP, right now I use Hollywood Beauty Olive Creme Hairdress

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
How often do you moisturize with a leave-in?
I can go 2-3x a week, but I just prefer daily as a precaution. Since I do sections now, not as heavy handed. If during the week my hair feel super moist, I wont moisturize anymore.
I moisturize nightly and seal in the morning (or before styling). For some this may not sound right, but for a rollersetter, this works.

What do you use?
Currently digging Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Bean Hair Whip. Not heavy and great for those with thick and/or low po strands

What's different about how you moisturize now and how you did it at the beginning of your hair journey?
I didnt moisturize until my hair was dry.
Now, while I tried to stick with lighter, water-based and natural creams, I learned that heavier butter based ones do the trick.

ElegantElephant

I just tried S Curl, the new formula with Argan and olive oil, on yesterday. Maybe I used too much because my swag is gone and my hair is stiff and feels filmy(?). I used it on the length of my hair and used coconut oil on the end. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

bebezazueta

I just tried S Curl, the new formula with Argan and olive oil, on yesterday. Maybe I used too much because my swag is gone and my hair is stiff and feels filmy(?). I used it on the length of my hair and used coconut oil on the end. Any suggestions?

Hello lady! I use Scurl & don't get stiff hair. Just soft & moisturized. If you use coconut oil and its cold outside, the coconut oil will solidify & make your hair stiff. I use coconut oil in warmer months only.

ElegantElephant

bebezazueta, thanks for responding. Hopefully, you don't mind answering a couple of questions: what kind of oil do you use? How often do you apply scurl and is it on the length of your hair? Your hair is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CodeRed

Every time I wash - every other day.

What do you use?

Just Natural Skincare Leave in for Extremely Dry hair... Nettle, Oolong & rose water mix... Newest is Soultanicals leave ins

What's different about how you moisturize now and how you did it at the beginning of your hair journey?

Nothing

bebezazueta

bebezazueta, thanks for responding. Hopefully, you don't mind answering a couple of questions: what kind of oil do you use? How often do you apply scurl and is it on the length of your hair? Your hair is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks lady! Yes I put scurl on the length to moisturize & on my new growth too. When I bun I seal with castor oil on the ends only. When I wear it down I seal with a serum. I apply scurl daily. Try a ceramides oil to seal with. I LOVE The new scurl formula. I'm retaining really well with it in my regimen.

sharice

Besides the moisturizing dcs and some leave in i use when i wash my hair. i almost never moistrurize my hair unless im brushing my hair and a spray leave in just happens to be within arms reach. if a leave in is nearby i spray a fine mist and thats it.
i used to use oil based moisturizers but now i just use hair one (generic wen) and a few mist of any leave in i have laying around my house/car. i swear hair one is the truth

4mia

I'm really liking the moisturizer from the knockoff mrs Jesse line at family dollar. Yes, I said it, family dollar. It is actually really good. I haven't tried the curling custard.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Jewell

I moisturize at least once per day, usually at night. I alternate a variety of products. Ive pretty much always moisturized daily, so nothing has changed.

Britt

Maybe just once a week, after I wash I'll airdry or rollerset and add some moisturizer to my hair. Other than that, I don't moisturize in the traditional hair board sense... I'll only moisturize my edges/nape to keep them smooth and soft. Not only does my hair get greasy easily but so does my scalp. Last week I went a full 7 days w/o washing it and applying no product to my hair during the week other than moisturizer to my edges and my hair and scalp were greasy and just weighed down. That alone makes me want to return to washing 2x/week.

jcdlox

I'm experimenting with moisturizing less, my hair doesn't need as much now that I gave up the blow dryer. So far its enough to wash twice a week to moisturize.

Tatilove

I do it every day and sometimes every other day but also depending on how my hair feels.
I just started a hj a couple of days ago, but before that I did try to moisturize daily with EVCO.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I stopped moisturizing and sealing daily to barely 1-2x a week. My hair doesn't need it. M&S more than necessary and just out of caution was causing me more harm than good.

spellinto

I stopped moisturizing and sealing daily to barely 1-2x a week. My hair doesn't need it. M&S more than necessary and just out of caution was causing me more harm than good.

Saludable84: What harm did you notice from moisturizing daily? How well does your hair retain moisture now? What is your hair's porosity? Lots of questions, but I'm experimenting with moisturizing less often too.

sunnieb

I don't remember when I stopped, but I no longer seal with oil. No reason, I just stopped.

I do still keep my ends moisturized with Carrot Oil 2x a day and NTM 1x a day.

sunnieb

I don't remember when I stopped, but I no longer seal with oil. No reason, I just stopped.

I do still keep my ends moisturized with Carrot Oil 2x a day and NTM 1x a day.

My hair must've been listening when I typed this, because slowly my ends started trying to get a little crispy! :lol:

I'm going to go back to sealing with castor oil when I airdry and see if that's enough. Otherwise, I'll go back to sealing daily after moisturizing like I used to.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
sunnieb, my hair didn't do well at all when I stopped sealing some years ago so I went back to my norm - m&s 2x daily. I sometimes don't seal at night but always seal in the morning.

sunnieb

sunnieb, my hair didn't do well at all when I stopped sealing some years ago so I went back to my norm - m&s 2x daily. I sometimes don't seal at night but always seal in the morning.

divachyk sealing is definitely back in my hair game. My ends are like night and day after sealing with the castor oil. I might go back to sealing nightly.

Kinky4Agirl

I moisturize when I need it with S Curl moisturizing spray. I also use NTM products now and my hair was happy until I over proteined it last month..

The only thing I do differently now is keep it simple. I used to jump on every band wagon there was on here and I learned that there are a lot of products out there and jumping from one to the other is not good for my hair. I don't have a long list of moisturizing products anymore... I use what works and if my hair feel good, I don't jump ship just because something new has arrived. I learned that lesson the hard way.

spellinto

Update...

I now moisturize and seal every other day.

What do you use?
Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave In
Africa's Best Herbal Oil

Up until this point, I was moisturizing at least once a day. I guess that was too much product for my hair because I was constantly left with strands that stuck together and dried out quickly regardless of what leave-in I used (which only convinced me that I needed MORE moisturizer). I was also avoiding oils and wasn't using anything as a sealant. Now I listen a bit more to my hair. My hair dries out in about 2 days, so moisturizing every other day keeps things in check without over doing it. Sealing again has helped because I use a blend with ceramide oils. I also use less product. I only use a dime-sized amount of leave in and two droplets of oil on each of my four sections of hair. I moisturize at night and cross wrap so that my hair is soft, smooth, and detangled in the morning.

Last edited: