Moisturizing Relaxed Curly Styles

NessaNessa

Hello Ladies!!!

I am relaxed 4a. I always wear my hair in either a straw set or flexi rod set. I was wondering how do you ladies who wear these curly styles moisturize your hair. What do you use to moisturize and how often do you moisturize it?

How do you moisturize your hair without causing your hair to frizz? What is your technique to prevent the frizzies? My styles would last so much longer if I knew how to avoid the frizzies.

Thanks Ladies!!!!

InNeedofHairapy

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I don't like how I look w/ short/straight hair, and I prefer curls, but I either use too much moisture on my hair, or it's curl resistant, I don't know..b/c a curl will leave me in a matter of hours (If I do it myself) and days (if the salon does a rollerset)

NessaNessa

Come on, I know there HAS to be SOMEONE out there wearing curly protective styles. What is it, y'all aint moisturizing in these styles or what? :lol:

atlien11

i just saw this..sorry u didnt get any responses :( When i wear my hair curly, i set it on 1 inch rollers (not flexi rods). In order to moisture, i re-spritzed my hair with Avedas Brilliant Damage Control and re-set my hair overnight or let it air dry. It revives and re-moisturizes my rolllerset and looks fab :grin:

Softresses

Hi NessaNessa,

Sorry I don't have a real answer for you. I haven't done rollersets in a good long time. I wear my hair curly but shake-n-go style. I think the things I use (Sta Sof Fro, or Care Free Curl type moisturizers) would make your curls drop. I will search through my saved articles and see if I can find anything for you.

Hang in there and keep bumping for responses
Softresses

ETA Try this thread:

How do you moisturize rod sets/braidouts/twistouts???

Last edited:

dynamic1

During my transition, I did some straw sets and flexi rod sets. I used a soft setting lotion and a dab of castor oil on each section before rolling. The key to avoiding the frizzies is to make sure your hair is completely dry before taking out the rollers or straws. During the take down and when separating the curls, I coated my hands with a bit of Avocado butter. Some people don't separate their curls at all, but I prefer a fuller, less Shirley Temple look. When I separated, I made sure to pull the curl straigt and then split it in two. (Smooth any frizz with coated fingers)

Hope that helps some.

Mizani_Mrs

Well i haven't had much luck with preserving curls or a rollerset. But to preserve my braid-out. I simply spritz with UBH dew moisturizing spray. I don't soak or wet the hair, i just lightly spritz it. Or anyone can create their own spray concoction with bottled/purified water and just a few drops of any conditioner and/or oil.