Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

DVAntDany

@Plushottie and @ckisland
I second the Malibu Hard Water Wellness shampoo. It’s not anything like their clarifying shampoo which has a pH of 9. It’s pH balanced and my hair felt nice and clean after using it. It’s more of a gentle chelating shampoo than a clarifying shampoo. It is said that it can be used daily.

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
@Plushottie and @ckisland
I second the Malibu Hard Water Wellness shampoo. It’s not anything like their clarifying shampoo which has a pH of 9. It’s pH balanced and my hair felt nice and clean after using it. It’s more of a gentle chelating shampoo than a clarifying shampoo. It is said that it can be used daily.
Thank you I see I will have to go to cvs then Sally’s for my other things.

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
Ok another question anyone use rogaine for women or is there no benefit? I’m really trying to make my hair be something decent this year.

DVAntDany

Ok another question anyone use rogaine for women or is there no benefit? I’m really trying to make my hair be something decent this year.
I've never used it but plenty of dermatologist are against using the female one. It has a pink tax on it and is not as strong as the mens. Just buy the men's version. Its stronger and costs less.

You also need to make sure of what type of hair loss you have before using it. If you aren't having androgenic hair loss, it might not even work. It's typically for l male and female pattern baldness. Its not going to work on any type of scarring alopecia. Also, it can make your hair shed significantly before it starts growing in. So, be prepared to commit to it if you start. You have to see it through if you are a candidate.

Now if you have other health issue that are contributing to thinning hair, that needs to be addressed first. Treating a condition that you do not have will often not help. One of my brother uses rogaine. It did wonders. Then he started losing his hair with a vengeance (even with rogaine) and having back/joint pain. Turns out he was vitamin D deficient. As soon as he got that in check, his hair grew back full again. He was actually prescribed to go walk outside daily in addition to vit D supplements. So rogaine alone may not do the trick if that is not what is causing your hair woes.

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
I've never used it but plenty of dermatologist are against using the female one. It has a pink tax on it and is not as strong as the mens. Just buy the men's version. Its stronger and costs less.

You also need to make sure of what type of hair loss you have before using it. If you aren't having androgenic hair loss, it might not even work. It's typically for l male and female pattern baldness. Its not going to work on any type of scarring alopecia. Also, it can make your hair shed significantly before it starts growing in. So, be prepared to commit to it if you start. You have to see it through if you are a candidate.

Now if you have other health issue that are contributing to thinning hair, that needs to be addressed first. Treating a condition that you do not have will often not help. One of my brother uses rogaine. It did wonders. Then he started losing his hair with a vengeance (even with rogaine) and having back/joint pain. Turns out he was vitamin D deficient. As soon as he got that in check, his hair grew back full again. He was actually prescribed to go walk outside daily in addition to vit D supplements. So rogaine alone may not do the trick if that is not what is causing your hair woes.
Thank you. I did some reading here that scared me away as there’s too many odds not in my favor.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Anyone have a fav hard water shampoo before I go to Sally’s this week? I know they have one. Was debating on that or the Malibu one. I know most of y’all live in mansions with water softeners in it. I’m trying to be on that soon.
Not me girl, at least not yet. I live in a regular degular apartment :lachen: I use the Ors Creamy Aloe Shampoo cause it's chelating.

MzSwift

The way my hair came out this morning :hair::hair: Wrapping curled hair does not work. I repeat, wrapping curled hair does not work.

Quick! Bun! Half up, half down! Pin it to the side! HEADSCARRFFFF!

DVAntDany

Thank you. I did some reading here that scared me away as there’s too many odds not in my favor.
You're welcome. It shouldn't be a scary thing. Go to the dermatologist first and see if it is a right fit for you. If it is, then you have nothing to worry about because in the end it is going to help. If it isn't, then you will avoid all that comes with taking it and can safely try other things.

I'm already prepping mentally for my bald headed scallywag fate aka post partum hair loss. The sad part is that there is nothing I can really do about it, but wait it out. You however still have options.

Plushottie

Thicc and fione
So I have been meh on hair for a while but I bought some hard water shampoo and am excited to try. I took my braids done last night and noticed how strong yet soft it felt. I had little to no shedding. I may really try this hair growing thing with fresh excitement. Asking a question in this site was hard for me but getting some fresh feedback was worth it.

DVAntDany

I've spent the past few months digesting what cosmetic chemists, engineers and scientists in the hair care field have talked about. The basic thing is that most hair care products do what they are intended to do and do their jobs well. Shampoo is to clean, conditioner is to condition and styling products help style. One guy was like shampoo is meant to clean not repair. We don't expect our dish washing detergent to clean and then fix our broken plates. So why are we asking that of our shampoo? I thought that was funny.

The caveat is that the look, feel and function of hair is subjective. So many are hesitant to give definitive answers because it depends. For instance, conditioners all basically do the same thing. The variable is if it's too heavy or if it's too light for your own hair. Too heavy can weigh down the hair leaving it limp and not looking aesthetically pleasing. Too light can leave hair feeling rough and dry. Large companies who have the money for extensive R&D can thoroughly test and then label products that are more geared towards fine hair vs coarse. Even then, it's still subjective. Some people need more slip while others need more products to coat damage.

I know that my hair is fine. I've been told by both Black and White hair stylists that my hair strands are fine in diameter. Some products for fine hair are just too light for me and the ones meant for thick and coarse hair work better and vice versa. Because of all that, many cosmetic chemists suggest that the general public just go out there and try various products. There is no one size fits all. They even say start lower priced because they all basically do the same thing. Most oils, extracts and highlighted ingredients are strictly for marketing and are not the workhorse of these products.

What I've gathered is that the overall key player seems to be conditioner and conditioning agents aka what we deem as moisturizers. Outside of preventing chemical damage, heat damage, mechanical damage and environmental weathering, using conditioner is the most important aspect of a hair care routine. They make hair feel better, look better, make it easier to comb and protect hair from future damage.

I'm only bringing this up because I been playing around with drugstore products. I've been highly impressed by how the Pantene Moisture Renewal shampoo and conditioner leaves my hair feeling. On the back of Pantene's regular line of conditioners it states the conditioning level. The Moisture Renewal conditioner conditioning level has the lower end of the moderate level of conditioning. So I went for broke and tried their Smooth and Sleek conditioner. It has a conditioning level of intense conditioning. Lo and behold, this formula doesn't have as much slip and almost makes my hair feel tangled. This reminded me of trying those conditioners from Pattern Beauty. The lightest one was great, but the heavy one was sticky and weighed my hair down. This might explain what is going on with foaming mousses and their use of polyquaternium-55 that leaves my hair tangled. It is not only a holding ingredient, but also a conditioning one. Supposedly, polyquaternium-55 can be too conditioning for fine hair and cause excessive buildup. I wasn't aware that over conditioning could contribute to my problems. All I have ever heard was that over conditioned hair was greasy and flat. I didn't know that also included tangled and sticky. I thought those attributes were caused by something else.

I'm having to break the habit of the go big or go home mentality when it comes to my hair. I don't necessarily need to use the most intensive, most moisturizing or strongest products. It's difficult to conceive this idea because I only want the best of the best for my hair. However, I don't actually need all that. The best is not always key ingredients or using the maximum strength. I guess this year is going to be about finding balance and accepting that some things are meant to be simple.