Quick Poll: How often do you wear protective styles in a typical month?

How often do you wear protective styles in a typical month?

• Less than 10% of the time

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • Ten to 30 percent of the time

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • 30 to 40 percent of the time

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • 40 to 60 percent of the time

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • 60 to 80 percent of the time

Votes: 45 18.6%
  • All or almost all the time

Votes: 141 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
When I was texlaxed/relaxed about 80% of the time. Now I only wear a PS in the winter 6 out of 7 days, and none in the summer.

SmileyNY

I wear my hair in a protective style most of the time. However, when a special occasion comes up & I'm going "out," which usually happens at least once per week (sometimes more), I like to wear my hair out. On one hand, I feel I should protect more... but on the other I think, what is the point of having long healthy hair if you never show it?! I'm conflicted lol. If I ever find that my hair stops thriving, then perhaps I'll be even more consistent with PSing.

GreenEyedJen

I said less than 10% of the time, but my regular style is a braid out or twist out. I don't consider "Outs" protective styles, but I'm realizing a lot do. So to me, it's less than 10% of the time, but others may consider it close to 100% of the time.

Last edited:

Judwill07

In your average month, how often do you wear protective styles?
I will say everyday. I only wear it straight for 1-2wks for length checks every 2-3 months.

ashleymichelle1

I said less than 10%...i love to wear my hair out. I don't really protective style but i'm big on low-manipulation. Tomorrow i'm going to get a sew in weave...this will be my first protective style in about 3 months..

Jewell

I voted, "All or almost all the time." I would say my hair is in a PS (cornrowed beneath LFs/wigs) 100% of the time in a given month, and is only taken down to wash/condition/massage my scalp (my wig is off when I'm at home, and only worn when leaving the house or having company over, lol--so my scalp can "breathe" and edges get a break).

I'm mostly a home-body, so I find that just keeping my hair braided and moisturized beneath wigs is the most convenient style I can do right now. It's low maintenance and I can just throw the wig off to easily get to my hair, vs. a sew-in weave.

I have very low energy due to anemia, and simply don't want to bother with my hair most of the time--but I want to grow it out quickly, hence the constant PS'ing. In hot summer I store the wigs away and get braids with extensions or wear my own hair in buns.

Last edited:

IMFOCSD

Hm, i probably relax my hair every 2-3 months..so i where my hair out for the first 2 weeks after a fresh relaxer and then wear my wig rest of the time.

manter26

My hair shrinks up to NL when loose so I voted "almost all the time." It's not always stretched but it doesn't rub on anything, so I consider even my loose hair PS'ing. Usually, I'm in braids with 1 week breaks here and there.

malibu4590

I am always in a protective style even after I straighten for length checks. Just waiting to reach my goal and maintain it to start wearing it out more.

gigi2011

I wear ps 95% of the time. With the growth of my hair over the years it became a chore to handle daily. Now I 2strand twist and I'm good to go.

Cocoeuro

I used to 100% but got tired of hiding something so unique and beautiful. I wear braid outs or twist outs and bun it if I'm lazy or if my hair loses definition during the day

Nixx22jam

I protective style 99% of the time. Unless I straighten my hair for a length check and then I bun.

Last edited:

LynnieB

Probably about 85-90% of the time it's in some kind of PS. Not really for the sake of PStylin' but more for convenience sake.

Lucia

Almost all the time
Actually I only wear it out if I'm going out somewhere where I want to look glam.

Last edited: