question for all hardcore protective stylers..

How often do u take a PS break?

• once a week

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • once every two weeks

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • once a month

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • once every few months

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • once every six months

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • once a year or more

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • no breaks I PS 100% of the time.

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters

IMFOCSD

Hello I have a question for the ladies who are serious "hide your hairers". Do any of you ladies where your hair out or down/styled (even if it's once a week, month, etc)..what styles are u wearing on your no PS days? and for how long?

TIA :)

Eta: in the poll I chose one day instead of two (or more) because i notice that alot of serious PSers wear their hair out for oneday then its back in a bun or wig or whatever protective style u choose.

Last edited:

SoopremeBeing

Normally 1-2 weeks. I normally do a twist-out but I get my lazy stage every once in a while, and I'll do the TWA.

IMFOCSD

Normally 1-2 weeks. I normally do a twist-out but I get my lazy stage every once in a while, and I'll do the TWA.

Thanks for responding SoopremeBeing I have not warn my hair out in over a month...been in wigs everyday but i would like to take a break like once a week or once every two weeks. I dont want anything to get in the way of retention...hopefully once a week or two is not doing too much if i decide to do it that way.

jesusislove1526

Once every month-6 weeks, depending on the protective style I'm in. I will wear a twistout/braidout for a few days, then DC/cowash and back into another protective style.

nakialovesshoes

My break is usually once every 2 months or so. I take my beehive down & detox with my mud wash & henna & I usually just wear WNGs or braid outs until I beehive again.

I've decided that I will not fully enjoy my hair until I reach my length goals.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

FoxxyLocs

Once every 3-4 months. If my hair is straight I'll wear it down for 3-4 days. If curly it could be up to a week - usually a flexi rod set or Bantu knot out.

MsDee14

3x a Month.

So in the beginning of the month, I only keep my PS in for a week. Then wear it out on the weekends.
Then towards the end, I keep it in for 2 weeks and wear it out on the 2nd weekend.

I need to see my hair free and loose a few times a month or I'll go crazy..lol

Last edited:

tamm

In the early days of my journey I ps'ed for 90 days at a time, washed, deep conditioned and ps'ed again. Around 6 - 8 months I would check lenght then ps again. Once I hit BSL I straightened for the first time and trimmed. I wore my hair out for one week then back to ps'ing. As my hair got longer my ps'ing time got shorter. Honey I was on a mission!:grin:

RegaLady

Wearing it out for me is when I take the bun down to wear a puff/ponytail and that is one day out of a month. I wear it loose (straight) once every three to six months.

koolkittychick

I chose once every two weeks, but it's closer to once a month because I am too lazy to try to style my hair. :lol: Now that it's long enough to throw it in a bun without much fuss, that's pretty much all I do to it other than wash and condition. I take it down every few days or so to M&S, and then if I feel like it I let it hang down for part of the day, but it almost always ends up back in a loose bun before the day is out, just to keep it out of the way. I'm so used to bunning that it actually feels funny to have my hair down, especially now that it's starting to fall down my back, which I've never felt before. My birthday is coming up next month, and I plan to rollerset and wear a cute hairdo then. we'll see. :yep:

greenandchic

Lately its been once a year or more. I wore my hair out twice last week but I only did it one other time in 2012.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Once or twice a year for me. :)

Hardcore protective styling is gonna get me to MBL or (hopefully!!!) WL by my two year nappiversary. When I was relaxed, it got me from SL to MBL in two years. :yep:

Last edited:

IMFOCSD

Once every month-6 weeks, depending on the protective style I'm in. I will wear a twistout/braidout for a few days, then DC/cowash and back into another protective style.

jesusislove1526 what do you out on your hair for twist/braidouts? I would love to try this for like a day or two but my hair always ends up so dry.

My break is usually once every 2 months or so. I take my beehive down & detox with my mud wash & henna & I usually just wear WNGs or braid outs until I beehive again.

I've decided that I will not fully enjoy my hair until I reach my length goals.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

@nakialovesshoes I have been wanting to try henna for YEARS lol...I need to give in and try it. Do you used any extra stuff in your mix for kike extra, moisture, strength, etc

Once every 3-4 months. If my hair is straight I'll wear it down for 3-4 days. If curly it could be up to a week - usually a flexi rod set or Bantu knot out.

@FoxxyLocs your hair is gorge! lol

3x a Month.

So in the beginning of the month, I only keep my PS in for a week.
Then towards the end, I keep it in for 2 weeks.

I need to see my hair free and loose a few times a month or I'll go crazy..lol

lol @MsDee14 thats how I feel...the only time I see my hair is when i take my twists (worn under my wig) down and retwist/moisturize. I need some spice in my life lol!

In the early days of my journey I ps'ed for 90 days at a time, washed, deep conditioned and ps'ed again. Around 6 - 8 months I would check lenght then ps again. Once I hit BSL I straightened for the first time and trimmed. I wore my hair out for one week then back to ps'ing. As my hair got longer my ps'ing time got shorter. Honey I was on a mission!:grin:

@tamm this sounds so promising! lol...I may just suck it up and keep doing what I am doing or just wear my hair styled or something once a month...dunno if i could go 90 whole days unless i had a sew in but i bet i would have no issues with retention at all...hmmm..

Wearing it out for me is when I take the bun down to wear a puff/ponytail and that is one day out of a month. I wear it loose (straight) once every three to six months.

@RegaLady this sounds good too, I could wear some kind of updo once a month...and wear it straight/loose once every three.

I chose once every two weeks, but it's closer to once a month because I am too lazy to try to style my hair. :lol: Now that it's long enough to throw it in a bun without much fuss, that's pretty much all I do to it other than wash and condition. I take it down every few days or so to M&S, and then if I feel like it I let it hang down for part of the day, but it almost always ends up back in a loose bun before the day is out, just to keep it out of the way. I'm so used to bunning that it actually feels funny to have my hair down, especially now that it's starting to fall down my back, which I've never felt before. My birthday is coming up next month, and I plan to rollerset and wear a cute hairdo then. we'll see. :yep:

@koolkittychick I cant wait for the bolded to happen for me lol. Congrats on the new length that you are experiencing, you sound so excited :)

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
When in hard PS mode with crochet braids, it stays up 2 weeks then comes down for a week to protein, henna, DC, get moisture up with cowashes and let it air. I wear it side rolls with a bun in the back or in a (phoney) bun.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I PS about 99.9% of the time and flat iron, braidout or bantu knot out when I decide to wear it down.

IMFOCSD

Lately its been once a year or more. I wore my hair out twice last week but I only did it one other time in 2012.

greenandchicI see you are MBL...yaay you :) i have realized that I must PS atleast 90% of the time to retain length. even if i try and wear buns twists or twistouts I dont retain length which is why im still at APL for over a year smh...well that and I had to keep trimming thin ends. So now I am determined to get past APL before I go nutz lol.

Once every few months. Basically on special occasions.

Froreal3 This sounds solid and will def get you to your goals...maybe I will TRY to PS a few months at a time. I think I can do it....I think :look: lol

Hardcore protective styling is gonna get me to MBL or (hopefully!!!) WL by my two year nappiversary. When I was relaxed, it got me from SL to MBL in two years. :yep:

tiffers one a twice a year huh...can u say determination lol...hats good. I am hoping to be BSL (or a little longer) sometime this year...so yea PSing is gonna be my BF for a while.

When in hard PS mode with crochet braids, it stays up 2 weeks then comes down for a week to protein, henna, DC, get moisture up with cowashes and let it air. I wear it side rolls with a bun in the back or in a (phoney) bun.

DarkJoy I want to try crochet braids..never had them but they are really cute and I see you have a system going..thats great. :yep:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
IMFOCSD thank you so much for the compliment. :grin: Acne proned skin forced me to PS. I never did it for retention because I enjoy my hair. Now that I'm over the acne phase, PS has become a way of life and love it. I dress it up with hair candy and make it fun. I hate having my hair swinging in my face while at work, thus I reserve wearing it down for weekends only.

IMFOCSD

@IMFOCSD thank you so much for the compliment. :grin: Acne proned skin forced me to PS. I never did it for retention because I enjoy my hair. Now that I'm over the acne phase, PS has become a way of life and love it. I dress it up with hair candy and make it fun. I hate having my hair swinging in my face while at work, thus I reserve wearing it down for weekends only.

divachyk you are very welcome, you are one of my inspirations & we have some things in common. I have acne prone skin as well 7 you are right being in this situation will cause you to keep your hair out of your face lol. you PSing has definetly payed off.

I wear it out for the entire week that I received a fresh relaxer & then hide it again until my next relaxer.

pre_medicalrulz another inspiration of mine especially seeing as how you wear wigs as your PS. This is what I do, enjoy my hair for a week after a fresh relaxer and its up and away lol. So how often do you relax and are wigs the man reason for your retention?

jesusislove1526

jesusislove1526 what do you out on your hair for twist/braidouts? I would love to try this for like a day or two but my hair always ends up so dry.

IMFOCSD--I spritz my hair with glycerin and water before I put it into chunky twists or braids for the braidout/twistout, followed up by sealing my ends with castor oil. I only seal once while my braidout/twistout is in, because I don't want to disrupt the wavy pattern, but I spritz daily to keep my hair from drying out.

Jewell

I take a break from PS once a week to once every 2 wks. I'll wear my hair down and loose to run an errand (not the whole day while out), or I'll wear it loose at home for a whole day then put it up at night before bed...usually a single braid bunned or pinned up. I can moisturize ends as needed wearing it out at home, vs wearing it out all day outside where the wind, clothes, and sun can dry out my ends.

ETA: Im back on my PS 99% of the time regimen as of 04/14/13, until I reach TL/BCL (crackin'), so that means only wearing it down a day or 2 after each TU, which is every 4, sometimes 5 mos. It's getting too warm to wear it down much anyway, and Im damp bunning the rest of the spring/summer until October.

Then, I'll go to my winter regimen of wash and dc once a week. Right now I cw every 4 days then air dry in a bun/damp bun. I'm on a mission to HL and then TL so no real hair play (wearing it down) for me. Also mission #2 is getting my daughter's hair down to BSL stretched (she's natural 4a)...so we're both PS'ing, m&s'ing, and doing low-manipulation regimens like nobody's business!!

Last edited:

TheNDofUO

I wear my hair out once every four months as that's how often I relax. but truthfully even then I'm bunning. Wigs are my PS of choice with my hair in crappy cornrows underneath. This allows me to wash and DC every week as I would like. The last month I would wear a PS that I can't remove easily. A weave or braids. This is to reduce detangling as my new growth starts getting angry then

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
divachyk you are very welcome, you are one of my inspirations & we have some things in common. I have acne prone skin as well 7 you are right being in this situation will cause you to keep your hair out of your face lol. you PSing has definetly payed off.

pre_medicalrulz another inspiration of mine especially seeing as how you wear wigs as your PS. This is what I do, enjoy my hair for a week after a fresh relaxer and its up and away lol. So how often do you relax and are wigs the man reason for your retention?

Lol thanks!

For me, yes. Wigs are the main reason for 'my' retention. ;) I relax every 6 months.

ojemba

I did the HYH challenge 3 times. Since being natural I've taken a week or 2 breaks. As of April 8 I'm PSing until Dec 1. Wigs and Braids will be PS of choice during that time.

SkySurfer

Cosigning on the hardcore PSing

As a side note, your sig kills me everytime :lachen: May have to try that next time someone is up in my face and personal space! :lol: