Question(s) RE:split ends enlightened me ladies

morehairplease

is it best to cut split ends off completely or gradually? For the longest if a stylist told me I had split ends and advised me to cut them off completely I did :wallbash: :wallbash:. I went natural b/c I got so sick of hearing my old stylist say this. I am getting my second relaxer Thursday, after being natural for 2 years, and noticed that my ends are sticking out(keep in mind ladies I actually don't know what split ends look like :confused: ). How my hair is now is how it would be every time my old stylist said my ends were split and I needed to trim them off. My hair is super short(no more than 2 inches all over shorter in the back though) so ladies should I get the split ends cut off Thursday and just start from there or should I ask the stylist to take a lil bit(and do this gradually)? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!:)

thanks in advance ladies

BTW does anyone know a place on line where I can see a pic of split ends for future reference? tia again ladies

aileendq

Hi,
A split end is when you look at the very end (away from your scalp) and it branches like a "Y" or a tree. If you have too many, your hair can look fuzzy or frizzy.

I would dust my ends after a cut to maintain, but not enough to affect the length too much.

Hope this helps.

A

morehairplease

aileendq said:
Hi,
A split end is when you look at the very end (away from your scalp) and it branches like a "Y" or a tree. If you have too many, your hair can look fuzzy or frizzy.

I would dust my ends after a cut to maintain, but not enough to affect the length too much.

Hope this helps.

A

thanks aileendq!:kiss: Just looked at them and they are indeed split :(. Now I'm feeling guilty b/c of the *bad* names I use to call my stylist I felt that she was lying to me to get more money(she charged $10 for trims) and I was already paying 50 for relaxers.....my ignorance.
thanks again aileendq!

Last edited:

morehairplease

One quick question:since my hair is already short what are some other styles that I could pull off? Currently, I am getting it curled but I know that the curling irons are NOT good for my hair. Any style suggestions would be great. I would love to go on a no heat challenage but find that my hair needs the heat for styling purposes(curling irons) if not then it wouldn't look decent. thanks in advance

Keen

tishee said:
One quick question:since my hair is already short what are some other styles that I could pull off? Currently, I am getting it curled but I know that the curling irons are NOT good for my hair. Any style suggestions would be great. I would love to go on a no heat challenage but find that my hair needs the heat for styling purposes(curling irons) if not then it wouldn't look decent. thanks in advance

Have you tried using rollers? You can get great style with those (after much practice). If you opt to use sponge rollers be sure to use those with satin cover.

morehairplease

Keen said:
Have you tried using rollers? You can get great style with those (after much practice). If you opt to use sponge rollers be sure to use those with satin cover.

thanks for the suggestion Keen! I will ask my stylist on Thursday if there is any style that she can give me using rollers. Do you think curl rollers would produce a nice style? My hair is REALLY short and for some reason when you said rollers jheri curl rods popped into my head. Do you think they would work?

aileendq

You are welcome, tishee. I agree with K. A rollerset is a great way to style and dry your hair curly. Even if you use a bonnet dryer, it's not half as damaging as a blowdryer. I do Dominican blowouts twice a week. (Where you rollerset your hair then use the blowdryer on the roots to get your hair to lay nicely.

Imy hai has retained SO MUCH length since I've started doing this. It's amazing.