SPLIT ENDS = DUSTY, WHITE BALLS

miss_a

My new stylist says that you can tell if you have split ends, by raising the strands to the light and seeing if dusty, white ball are present at the ends--indicating split ends and that you are in need of a trim.

My old stylist agrees.

So is this why you should never "trim" unless on wet hair?

Curious.

A.

daviine

Well, that's how I always know I have split ends---the white balls---when I look closer I can actually see the split hair
--don;t have the answer to your question though. Sorry,

inthepink

I used to notice those white balls on my hair...BUT since I've been taking such good care of my hair, I haven't seen the likes of them in my hair neighborhood for over 6 months!

adrienne0914

i've never seen a white ball present at the ends. i literally see a Y shape on the end when i inspect it. it sometimes appears to be a shade lighter than the rest of the hair strand, but the ends at the Y are thinner...

inthepink

When I saw the white ball, it would be a couple of centimeters above the end...I think it was at the point where the hair was about to split or either break.

miss_a

Thank y'all for the replies--I had no clue!

Where are these balls coming from?

It's like a mystery to me--like where is that extra sock after the wash type deal...

A.

Tracy

I see the white balls too.
I'm sorry but I can't make my mind leave the gutter on this one!

But I seriously - I do. It's almost as if the ends of my hair look ashy - when it does I know it's time to trim.

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
I see the white balls too.
I'm sorry but I can't make my mind leave the gutter on this one!

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG Tracy, I wasn't even thinking along those lines at all until I read your post.
DUSTY WHITE BALLS...

ms_kenesha

The dusty white balls come from heat styling too much (that's what my old hairdresser told me) split ends you can actually see your hair forming an upside down Y.

daviine

[ QUOTE ]
ms_kenesha said:
The dusty white balls come from heat styling too much (that's what my old hairdresser told me) split ends you can actually see your hair forming an upside down Y.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't heat style my hair and I have my fair share of split ends---although I'm sure heat styling will do it for ya!

caralexis2005

i get them from using my round brush. i know bc i've dusted them off (took a good chunk of time) and then used the round brush and low and behold: they're back.
using the brush with a blow dryer just makes it worse.
i think any thing thats frays the ends like fine tooth combs and brushes..anything that rubs harshly against the hair makes it fray i.e. split and then you see the break with the white ball or split.
i just thank god that i can see them before they split all the way up. i've seen a hair thats split all the way up- not pretty.:(