Split Ends!

swannie

I just had a touch-up after 8 weeks and my stylist trimmed 2 inches off! Granted, I did have split ends though overall my hair's been healthy since I started a hair regimen. I'm still going through hair withdrawal (silly but true). What's worse, I noticed that that last quarter inch of my hair are starting to have split ends. Augh! How do you counteract split ends? Please help!

auntybe

I kept the ends moist. You can use a serum or something heavy like vaseline. I got 2 inches cut in July for the same reason. My ends are looking better-I have been doing this consistantly for a month and I plan to continue.

Healthb4Length

ditto! natural butters like shea/avocado and essential oils are great too! Make sure that you moisturize the last 3 inches of your ends it really makes a difference.

Cinnabuns

I also agree with keeping them moist. I use a little water mixed with leave in conditioner on my ends twice a day: once in the morning (i do add a little Blue Magic to seal my ends during the day because I will be out in the air during the day) and again at night just before bed

swannie

Thanks for your feedback! I have been using an essential oil ends treatment. I guess it will take a while for me to see results. Can split ends be fixed? Or does one automatically have to cut the hair once they appear?

jainygirl

Once they're split theyre split. But go ahead and do the necessary trim to get rid of them and apply the new techniques to keep your new fresh ends healthy and in great shape.
*** Be sure to snip a little bit higher than where the split ends stop -- this will mean that you cut a smidgen of healthy hair along with the split ends--- but it will ensure that the hair doesnt continue to split up the shaft after you trim causing you to have to trim yet again. HTH -- jainygirl

Cinnabuns

Allot of the ladies here gave great advice on split-ends a little while ago, I will bump some of them for you.

Tai

I've been using the baggie method for a few weeks. I bun my hair, covering the pony tail with Healthier ends, sealed with coconut oil, then I place a sandwich baggie on and cover with a phonytail. My ends feel great.

inthepink

I agree with Jainygirl - cut just a tad higher than the split end otherwise you trim in the middle of the split end and it doesn't really accomplish anything. Keep the ends moist and pinned up whenever you can.

NAY007

I don't think that you can counteract split ends. When you do have them they have to be cut off.

Now to prevent them I always try to keep my ends moisturized, condition a lot and try to stay away from heat. I really think that using L'oreal's serum helped me personally a whole LOT.

Everything that makes your hair manageable (easy to comb) will prevent split ends too IMO.