Airdrying can cause split ends? Airdry ladies come in here pls!

Air-drying used to be a nightmare for me until I discovered that I needed much more product, and different products to moisturize my hair if I was air-drying. Now I dont have any dryness, hardness or breakage when I air-dry.

What other tips, product recommendations or techniques do ya'll have?
I'm like some of the other ladies...air drying roughs up my cuticle and leads to increased shedding and breakage/splits. Even if I roller set and it's not completely dry (but damp), it gets frizzy and I end up with shedding and single strand knots. I tried airdrying last summer and it was a super-duper dry, tangled mess each week. That was a lot of work, so I've just stuck to rollersetting every since.

I saw the recommendation to use Chi Silk Infusion and a leave-in condish.

Any other product recommendations?

Which moisturizers and oils do you use to moisturize/seal?

I normally use the Mizhani Rose H2O or Night treatment and olive oil, but i don't think those would cut it to get smooth, soft airdrying results.

Last edited:
air drying caused me to have too much shedding and broke to small pieces of my hair off! My crown was growing back (my hair always likes to break there) and now a patch near my dang ear, that's what I get for airdrying! my hair needs heat!

I have followed and tried the techniques of the experts on here but still my hair just doesn't like it. I've put the best leaves ins and all that but still my hair would shed tooooo much.

that's me too.

Air-drying used to be a nightmare for me until I discovered that I needed much more product, and different products to moisturize my hair if I was air-drying. Now I dont have any dryness, hardness or breakage when I air-dry.

what products are you using exactly?

Everybody uses different products but I'll list what I use:

Leave ins:
QP H-Two
Aphogee Leave in along w/Aphogee Green Tea spray

Moisturizers:
NTM Silk Touch Leave in
BB Oil Moisturizer

Oils:
Kemi Oyl
Macadamia Nut
Rosehip

I'll use one product from each category...depending on how I feel.

No I don't believe this to be true. Heat can cause split ends because it damages the hair cuticle. Airdrying just doesn't make the hair as sleek as using heat and so what ever damage or split ends or frizz you have at the ends of your hair becomes more noticle. I use serum to help keep my ends from frizzing up.

I don't think this is true either. I airdry my dd's hair with every wash, and I she doesn't have any split ends.

I never got them either by airdrying. My hair would dry pretty rough at the ends, but it never split my hair. I didn't get split ends until I got heat damage from flat ironing. Airdrying does not damage to the hair. :nono:

I got horrible split ends from letting my short hair airdry in a loose style. The hair would curl and coil around each other causing knots of all kinds, and I had no choice other than to comb through, which broke, stretched and weakend the strands.

If I was to do it all over again (go natural) I would airdry the hair while it was in a protective style where the ends were not drying loosely and shrinking into coils and knotting up.

I mostly 99% of the time I air dry my hair. I am natural 4a/4b mix on my head. So I don't know if my opinion is needed in this thread.

I only know that less heat is more. Here is a great article: AIR DRY YOUR HAIR

Ok that article was really helpful:yep:.

I liked this idea.....

Practice product layering

The first time I saw my stylist creating a product mixture by dabbing into several different pots I was surprised. In essence she mixed a dab of gel with a tiny bit of shine serum with amazing results. Just like great makeup artists resort to blending their own eye shadows and lipsticks, expert hairdressers have learned the art of product cocktailing with amazing results.
Try your own version of product cocktailing or blending by mixing your favorite styling products together to get maximum results. I personally mix a little of my Phyto 7 or Phyto 9 with a dab of Phytodefrisant when I know that the weather is going to be humid or I want zero risk of frizz.
Play with mixing gels with creams that will create air-dryed texture and smoothness at the same time. Or try a variety of products blended together.

I think I will try that. To answer your question OP- I have never experienced any splits from airdrying at all.

I use a leave in conditioner (Sunsilk Captivating Curls), then I use a serum(Sabino Moisture Block),
I apply Fantasia gel on my edges and put it into a bun and tie it down with a silk scarf. I sit under the dryer for 30 minutes on low. Some might not see this as airdrying but I do. While my hair does not come out flat iron straight -it looks good enough for me.

ETA- it seems like I have gotten better results by using a serum rather than an oil.

Last edited:
what products are you using exactly?

For me I have to use a moisturizing conditioner as a leave-in, like Suave Humectant or something similar. As my hair dries I add some Seyani Hair Butter on my ends and then seal with some type of oil.

Other people may do better with a leave-in product like NTM Silk Touch but I need heavier products.

I had been trying airdrying...and I loved it, my hair looked thicker (to me)---though I'm sure some people just thought I looked a little nappy...Anyway! I noticed that my hair needed moisture much sooner after than if I blow dried on a medium/low setting. I wonder if it has anything to do with me rinsing in cold water??? I effectively seal my cuticle pretty thoroughly and then expect moisture to air dry into it. I'm picturing putting a stick of butter on cold skin vs. putting it on warm skin.

Ladies who successfully air dry, do you rinse your hair with lukewarm or cold water?

I had been trying airdrying...and I loved it, my hair looked thicker (to me)---though I'm sure some people just thought I looked a little nappy...Anyway! I noticed that my hair needed moisture much sooner after than if I blow dried on a medium/low setting. I wonder if it has anything to do with me rinsing in cold water??? I effectively seal my cuticle pretty thoroughly and then expect moisture to air dry into it. I'm picturing putting a stick of butter on cold skin vs. putting it on warm skin.

Ladies who successfully air dry, do you rinse your hair with lukewarm or cold water?

I do an cold rinse, right after the rinse i apply my ntm leave in.. I do not run a towel through my hair. (i found out that the reason for my split ends) after applying the leave-in i place an satin wrap on my hair til it 80% dry then i apply oil and tigi split mender on ends. Everything turns out smooth afterwards

Everybody uses different products but I'll list what I use:

Leave ins:
QP H-Two
Aphogee Leave in along w/Aphogee Green Tea spray

Moisturizers:
NTM Silk Touch Leave in
BB Oil Moisturizer

Oils:
Kemi Oyl
Macadamia Nut
Rosehip

I'll use one product from each category...depending on how I feel.
How does EQP H-Two help your hair and what is it's purpose? I used it for a short period but I was unsure of it's benefits so I stopped using it.

I notice a big difference in my ends when I roller set instead of air dry. I believe that air drying causes split ends.

Wow. I havent been in the hair board in forever.

Anyway, I dont know if it causes split ends but I tell you I cannot airdry without my hair feeling rough and dry and then it starts to break. Airdrying is a no-no for me. But for other women it works well on their hair.

Heat makes my hair smoother and easier to manage but it does not cuz split ends for me. It all depends on how you airdry and what products you use.

I think it depends on the hair type. I know that airdrying my fine 4b hair caused havoc on my stands. When you airdry the cuticles are raised for a longer period of time, this may cause harm to fine strands that are already lacking in cuticle layers. Raised cuticles lead to porous hair, porous hair leads to dry hair, dry hair leads to breakage and splits.

I found rollersetting to be a healthier way to dry my hair.

Ooh that makes perfect sense! Great thread. Am learning stuff here.

I've been avoiding heat for 4 or 5 years now but my ends still need more TLC . Recently I've been air drying in plaits with a liitle boost from the hairdryer and have noticed my rough sections havent been so bad.

My hair is coarse 4bish and I rarely use a blow dryer. The dryer I presently own is over 6 years old and used only a handful of times. I do use heat to straighten my hair after I air dry. I've never had a problem with split ends.

I think it depends on the hair type. I know that airdrying my fine 4b hair caused havoc on my stands. When you airdry the cuticles are raised for a longer period of time, this may cause harm to fine strands that are already lacking in cuticle layers. Raised cuticles lead to porous hair, porous hair leads to dry hair, dry hair leads to breakage and splits.

I found rollersetting to be a healthier way to dry my hair.

Do you rollerset and sit under a bonnet?

Back