Layers & Split Ends

Nella

Ladies,

I have a layered cut and I know there are split ends. I haven't been ti my stylist since last June and my hair has really grown since then. My last visit with her was this layered cut. I was wondering how can you really tell the split ends when its layered.

I want my ends healthy. I've been doing some serious moisturizing but, at the same time I'm certain my hair would really take off if I get the split ends removed. I'm going to get a fresh relaxer on April 7th and was just curious would this be the time to get those split ends removed. Currently right now my hair is growing in a "V" shape and for the life of me I know the lady may cut me across all even because, she does get a bit scissor happy.

What am I to do?

seraphinelle

For starters, I wouldn't let her cut the V straight across.

Not sure about the trimming of the split ends though, just don't let her cut it, when it's supposed to be a trim!!

balisi

I recommend having the layers refreshed just enough to remove the split ends. If the ends aren't badly split, perhaps no more than 1/2 inch trim should get them. It's been almost a year since your cut, so 1/2 inch will not negate your progress.

MsBiz

My hair is cut in layers and I can tell that I have split ends either by looking closely at different sections of my hair or I will cut off some of my hair and look at the ends. I have been struggling with split ends for a while and I find that it is better to just go ahead cut them off right away.

Lady Esquire

I have layers also. I have to section my hair off into small sections, in order to locate layers efficiently. It takes patience when your hair is in layers...but I am sure you know that already.

Also, Serenity, who also has layers, recently put me on to the book entitled, either "Hair Trimming for Dummies" or "Hair Cutting for Dummies." I have yet to read it but maybe you can pick that up.

Whoever you decide to go to, make sure to emphasize the fact that you want a trim or light dusting, and NOT a cut.

Go ahead and cut off the splits because otherwise, the split will travel upwards on the hair shaft...Stop those splits dead in their tracks before they cause any further damage and set you back with all of your hard work. If you trim at home by yourself, purchase quality shears.

Ciao!;)

Cleve_gryl

I'm having the same issue. I have layered hair and want to self trim if I can. I don't plan to trim again until the end of the summer, which will be after my relaxer (after the one coming up this month) Serenity mentioned the precision technique for layers. I guess you'd have to take small sections and lift them up like this.

blue_flower

LadyEsquire said:
I have layers also. I have to section my hair off into small sections, in order to locate layers efficiently. It takes patience when your hair is in layers...but I am sure you know that already.

I've been doing the same thing and it's really difficult. Something told me not to get layers in the back. . .I should've listened. :(

lana

I posted on another topic about how to trim your hair....

I just started self trimming and so far so good. The reason I don't go to anyone else for trims is because they CUT my hair, they don't trim it. I have 4a/b hair and it can appear to need a trim when really it needs protein or moisture. So now I'm the person in charge of trimming.

I bought really super sharp hair shears. They basically snip the hair just by coming into contact with it (laughs). Then I put all of my layers in a high ponytail and start at the back, parting and trimming. That way each layer is trimmed evenly and I get rid or split ends and uneven ends that made my hair look "straggley".

Finally from the top of my ears and up, I comb the hair straight up like in the picture above and trim straight across so that everything is even. (This is because I'm growing my layers out). I'm almost there and I have two inches left to go at the top.

I refuse to go to a shop and have them cut my hair all one length. I would lose two inches off the back for no reason. It's much better for me to let the top of my hair catch up with the back.

My hair curls better, looks and feels (and is) healthier because of my at home care. I do it all at home. (wow, I'm proud of me).