Question for Cowashing Relaxed Ladies....

Do you maintain a protein/moisture balance while cowashing?

• Yes! I always alternate between protein and moisturizing conditioners.

Votes: 19 41.3%
  • I only cowash with moisturizing conditioners.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I only cowash with protein conditioners.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I cowash with whatever I happen to have on hand.

Votes: 7 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NIN4eva

I co-wash 3-4 days per week and I alternate between Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose and GBP. And I use Roux PC when I cowash.

sunnieb

Now I find it easier to alternate by the week - moisturizing cowashes one week and protein/fortifying cowashes the next. :yep:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
afroette that 'may' be too much protein but you could try it and do wet strand tests to monitor your hair. You'll know pretty soon if it's too much.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Still Cowashing Regularly 2x per week.

When I need that extra cleansing, I will pull out a Cleansing Conditioner. And this does the trick.

Still no real need for Shampoo. Only to neutralize or chelate after Relaxing.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@afroette

It's a Conditioner that Cleanses. They are GREAT!:grin:

Some of the Cleansing Conditioners are:

Darcy's Cleansing Conditioner
Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleanser
Bear Fruit Hair Cleansing Conditioners
Claudie's Jojoba Cleanser and Claudie 3n1 Cleansing Conditioner(s)
Hydroquench Systems Coconut & Lime Cleansing Conditioner
As I Am Cleansing Pudding
As I Am Coconut Cowash

I think Jessicurl and some other Brands also have Cleansing Conditioners in their Line.

blackberry815

Just curious..If you don't use shampoo how do you avoid buildup? and for those that deep condition after cowashing how is the deep conditioner able to penetrate the cuticle if the hair has not been shampood?

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
blackberry815 I don't use products with silicone and such and I don't have an issue with buildup. I do spritz my scalp with tea and during DC's I apply avg to my scalp first.
I do shampoo about once a month or so just because I have shampoo that I want to use up.

blackberry815

Nix08 said:
blackberry815 I don't use products with silicone and such and I don't have an issue with buildup. I do spritz my scalp with tea and during DC's I apply avg to my scalp first.
I do shampoo about once a month or so just because I have shampoo that I want to use up.

Nix08 so silicone is the only product in conditioner that would prevent penetration? Avg is apple cider vinegar? Also what does the tea do your scalp? I would like to understand this because
I probably would cowash if it wasn't for the fact that my hair doesn't feel clean and I want to make sure that my hair gets the full benefit of my deep conditioners and moisturizers.... any anything

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
blackberry815 avg is aloe vera gel...it has various properties including being antibacterial and antifungal.
I find that silicone builds up and my hair does not feel clean after a cowash with products that contain it....that's just me though I believe sunnieb who also cowashes uses silicone products but also shampoo's weekly (why do I seem to know her reggie:perplexed: :lachen:) I wouldn't necessarily say that silicones prevent product absorption (although in my mind it does) but I'm sure those that use it regularly don't find that.
Tea's are amazing...for stimulating, moisture, strength, shine, etc....I personally always dry dc...meaning that I I dampen my hair with tea (avg before I discovered tea) then apply my dc over top THEN I cowash or poo wash. For added moisture and such I would strongly suggest that you look into teas:yep:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
blackberry815 have you clarified lately? That could be preventing product penetration.

And if you are looking into tea's with moisture don't sleep on marshmallow root:yep:

blackberry815

yea I did clarify and I do know why it feels this way.. I actually did an aphogee hard protein treatment less a week ago .... I deep conditioned afterwards for over an hour though.. (there's also the sulfur mix I've been applying to my scalp) I think I'm going to deep condition on dry hair and cowash that way when i get home tonight.. (although I remember doing this a few times and getting mushy hair last year I should be fine if i keep up with my aphogee treatments.) Nix08 thanks for thesuggestions..

sunnieb

I believe @sunnieb who also cowashes uses silicone products but also shampoo's weekly (why do I seem to know her reggie:perplexed: :lachen:)

Nix08

:lol::lachen::lol::lachen:

Yep, you do! :)

Yes, I shampoo weekly with a clarifying shampoo (Suave) and a moisturizing shampoo (Nexxus Therrappe).

I've been cowashing with WEN lately and my hair has been in heaven.:cloud9: