Steaming vs. Traditional DC'ing with a Dryer

I took it to mean that you steam at least monthly. I'm about to order my steamer today and I might make it a weekly treat, so long as it's not damaging my hair. I don't see how it could though since it just ensures deep penetration of your conditioner.

put your DC on dry hair and steam it, then let me know what you think.

Hi there SJ. Could you give me a bit more info about the reasoning for steaming monthly.
I have done two steam tratments in two weeks. :blush:
But it felt soooooooo good.:poke: :naughty::badgirl:

HAAAA!!!

Well - I think the point is not to OVER moisturize:alcoholic........... Maybe for some - The hair could just drink and drink - for others - it could be over kill on the moisture side.....
:thumbsup: Hey! I LOOOOOVE it too!!!! My hair felt amazing.... But - I don't wanna mess up my progress - sooooooooooo - I have to hold off on the CRACK:alcoholic like high I get from my steam Treat.

HAAAA!!!

Well - I think the point is not to OVER moisturize:alcoholic........... Maybe for some - The hair could just drink and drink - for others - it could be over kill on the moisture side.....
:thumbsup: Hey! I LOOOOOVE it too!!!! My hair felt amazing.... But - I don't wanna mess up my progress - sooooooooooo - I have to hold off on the CRACK:alcoholic like high I get from my steam Treat.
I'm a steamoholic :yep:

I was in a shopping center and did not see it being used by anyone the salon was actually closed but I saw it through the window.

Okay cool. Can you do me and the entire LHCF a favor?? If you are ever in that shopping mall again, and the salon is open, can you go in there and inquire about this steamer? That is, if you are comfortable with doing that and it is not inconvenient for you? Maybe you can even sneak and look to see what the brand manufacturer is cuz I am having no luck finding it online. I would like to see how that alien spaceship-like steamer compares to the other steamers posted in this thread. TIA!

I'm a steamoholic :yep:

I did it for the first time last night. I tried the way Ms. SJ described, with the 2 turbie twist, 2 plastic caps and heating cap. When I placed the second plastic cap on top of the turbie, I could see the steam forming up inside.

Today I can't stop looking in the mirror. I have that shiny bouncing and behavin hair. This is definitely going to be something I do regularly.

Thanks Samanthajones for the step by step you provided, it was very helpful.

put your DC on dry hair and steam it, then let me know what you think.

OK. I'll report back.

Ten, do you have an actual hair steamer or are you just steaming at the sauna or what?

Ya'll got a sista putting in her order right now.

Last edited:
does it matter to use 2 layers of cap and turbie when you can get a lot of heat to just one?

The reason I didn't have steam is because I'm seeing I did it wrong. I put the plastic cap on before the towel...should have been vice versa... so now I know...

hot towel, then cap, then hot towel again, then cap, then bonnet dryer...

The way I did it still gave me excellent results so maybe I will alternate.

How does your hair feel? How are your strands? Are you concerned about overmoisturising?

At this point, I am not concerned with over-moisturizing. If I start to see some negative effects, I will cut back. My hair loves this method of conditioning, just like my hair loves protein. I know many on this board can only use so much protein and can only do it once a month, but I use protein weekly. One thing I have noticed from my version of steaming is that my hair does not dry out after I workout, which has been a big problem.

Tishee,

Never mind about stopping into that salon and inquiring about that steamer..I found it at this site and at 2400k bucks, I think I'll pass:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Takara Belmont[/FONT]
Rollerball II RB-41S

Multi function hair color processor, stand type or wall mount on casters. Dark Grey color and 180 degree rotation. Infrared lamp for color acceleration and deep conditioning.
120 volt AC, 60HZ,1080Watts
W/ Caster Base
List Price $3796.00
ABE Price $2442.00
Order View Cart

I am right there with ya............

I wonder if anyone else deos it more often......................:yawn::look: Anyone?

I wash my hair twice a week, so I do it 2x/week. I haven't had any ill effects. I wrap a wet turbie towel around my hair and then cover it with a plastic bag. I prefer using my soft bonnet with drawstrings/hand-held blowdryer to add heat. It's more comfortable for DC and I only need to use it for 15 minutes. When I use my table-top dryer, I stay under for 30 minutes. I let my hair cool for another 10-15 minutes and then I rinse.

I'm glad someone mentioned over-moisturizing because something happen yesterday....not sure what.

I shampooed, deep conditioned with henna and placenta---thought my hair needed a protein fix, rinsed and then steamed in Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. I'm "non-relaxed", but I do color!

I used one wet tea towel wrapped around head and placed "conditioning" plastic cap on top and underneath the Pibbs I went for 20 minutes. I noticed when I took the cap off that my hair was not "hanging" down and close to the head like normal fresh wet hair. Instead it was a bit poofy. I noted this to myself and thought it was because the strands had absorbed so much moisture and were now "bloated." The hair felt so soft and smooth. I proceeded to rollerset.

I used only Giovanni Leave-In Direct, but no setting lotion because I dislike the residue setting lotions can leave on my "natural" hair. However, after drying my hair didn't have the "stay curly for two weeks" curls that it usually has. There was body....but no curls with staying power.

Is this because my hair is over moisturized??

8 weeks ago my hair would snap in a moment. Thanks to LHCF, I learned how to induce moisture in to the hair. Last week read something that if your hair stretches it needs protein. Well I had a bit of a stretch (while dry). But this morning, my hair can stretch a yard without breaking and I my hair is only about 12 inches in length. I don't know if this is good or bad???

I wash my hair twice a week, so I do it 2x/week. I haven't had any ill effects. I wrap a wet turbie towel around my hair and then cover it with a plastic bag. I prefer using my soft bonnet with drawstrings/hand-held blowdryer to add heat. It's more comfortable for DC and I only need to use it for 15 minutes. When I use my table-top dryer, I stay under for 30 minutes. I let my hair cool for another 10-15 minutes and then I rinse.

thanks for Posting!
so - what is your hair type?
How do you wear your hair????

And - is 15 mins enough time for your hair???

TIA!

At this point, I am not concerned with over-moisturizing. If I start to see some negative effects, I will cut back. My hair loves this method of conditioning, just like my hair loves protein. I know many on this board can only use so much protein and can only do it once a month, but I use protein weekly. One thing I have noticed from my version of steaming is that my hair does not dry out after I workout, which has been a big problem.

I fight such a battle to keep moisture into my hair that I would actually like to see if overmoisturizing is possible. :look:

If it happens I'll just cut back and use the steamer in moderation.

thanks for Posting!
so - what is your hair type?
How do you wear your hair????

And - is 15 mins enough time for your hair???

TIA!

I'm 4a relaxed. I'd say my hair is about 70-80% straight. It has waves in it after processing, but i can easily rollerset it straight. During the week I usually wear a bun but I rollerset and wear it out on the weekends or when I'm going somewhere.

When I use the the soft bonnet dryer, it gets really hot very quickly. I haven't noticed any increased benefits by staying under longer. The table-top dryer disperses the heat more, so I stay under longer to get the same effect. Once I come from under the dryer, the plastic cap and towel will trap heat around my hair for another 15 minutes or so. So all together, that's about 30-45 minutes of deep conditioning. I mix equal parts of ORS Replenishing conditioner with Roux porosity Control and maybe 1 ounce of olive oil. My hair tends to tangle from the ears to the ends, but this gives me a lot of slip.

I'm glad someone mentioned over-moisturizing because something happen yesterday....not sure what.

I shampooed, deep conditioned with henna and placenta---thought my hair needed a protein fix, rinsed and then steamed in Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose conditioner. I'm "non-relaxed", but I do color!

I used one wet tea towel wrapped around head and placed "conditioning" plastic cap on top and underneath the Pibbs I went for 20 minutes. I noticed when I took the cap off that my hair was not "hanging" down and close to the head like normal fresh wet hair. Instead it was a bit poofy. I noted this to myself and thought it was because the strands had absorbed so much moisture and were now "bloated." The hair felt so soft and smooth. I proceeded to rollerset.

I used only Giovanni Leave-In Direct, but no setting lotion because I dislike the residue setting lotions can leave on my "natural" hair. However, after drying my hair didn't have the "stay curly for two weeks" curls that it usually has. There was body....but no curls with staying power.

Is this because my hair is over moisturized??

8 weeks ago my hair would snap in a moment. Thanks to LHCF, I learned how to induce moisture in to the hair. Last week read something that if your hair stretches it needs protein. Well I had a bit of a stretch (while dry). But this morning, my hair can stretch a yard without breaking and I my hair is only about 12 inches in length. I don't know if this is good or bad???

I'm sorry I have no idea how to tell if one's hair is overmoisturized or not but I'll ask around. Other than the weak curls are you having any other problems? It doesn't sound like you've done anything extreme with your steaming maybe it was the protein or it's time to clarify or chelate?

I'm sorry I have no idea how to tell if one's hair is overmoisturized or not but I'll ask around. Other than the weak curls are you having any other problems? It doesn't sound like you've done anything extreme with your steaming maybe it was the protein or it's time to clarify or chelate?

Thank you for the reply. I clarified while washing that morning with ACV. Maybe it's the product. I noticed my daughter's hair last night...we did the same treatment. I added the tiniest bit of setting foam before I rollerset hair. Maybe I will try adding just a little bit to the hair also and see if the curls set better!

I did it for the first time last night. I tried the way Ms. SJ described, with the 2 turbie twist, 2 plastic caps and heating cap. When I placed the second plastic cap on top of the turbie, I could see the steam forming up inside.

Today I can't stop looking in the mirror. I have that shiny bouncing and behavin hair. This is definitely going to be something I do regularly.

Thanks Samanthajones for the step by step you provided, it was very helpful.

Whooohooo!!! Awesome to hear!!!!!

( someone on another hair board said it was a gimmick - I was like HUH???)

Great news!!!!!!:drunk:

I'm 4a relaxed. I'd say my hair is about 70-80% straight. It has waves in it after processing, but i can easily rollerset it straight. During the week I usually wear a bun but I rollerset and wear it out on the weekends or when I'm going somewhere.

When I use the the soft bonnet dryer, it gets really hot very quickly. I haven't noticed any increased benefits by staying under longer. The table-top dryer disperses the heat more, so I stay under longer to get the same effect. Once I come from under the dryer, the plastic cap and towel will trap heat around my hair for another 15 minutes or so. So all together, that's about 30-45 minutes of deep conditioning. I mix equal parts of ORS Replenishing conditioner with Roux porosity Control and maybe 1 ounce of olive oil. My hair tends to tangle from the ears to the ends, but this gives me a lot of slip.

:yep::yep::yep:

Thanks for detailed explanation. I do think relaxed hair needs more of everything - moisture - protien, etc.....While Natural hair may need moisture - or not as much - and may need protien - but not as often...

This is a good barometer..... And a Balancing act for us all I guess....

This helps trememdously. Thanks!

Samshairendofmarch2008079-vi.jpg

Bling after 4 days................:yep:

I steam twice weekly and I haven't found any ill effects yet - my hair is drinking it up.

I steam once a month with SamanthaJones method and my hair is so soft and moisturize after the steam treatment.

Back