Steaming vs. Traditional DC'ing with a Dryer

ShiShiPooPoo

What's the difference?

If your hair is wet won't it produce a steamy environment regardless?

I heated a wet towel last night and put it on my head on top of a plastic bag...(someone posted a method like this-can't remember who...the one with the turbi twists, plastic gloves, etc.) no steam but my head was sooooooo relaxed and that intense heat really locked that conditioner in.

I was thinking of getting a steamer but I need convincing! They are expensive!

That would be Miss SamanthaJones.:notworthy
I have tried a similar method and loved how my hair felt. Totally moisturised, more intense than DC alone. However this treatment is recommended monthy. Loooooove it!!!!:infatuated:

ShiShi, it seems as though you can get them on Ebay for under 200, which includes shipping. Another poster said she was trying to work out a deal with Pibbs, but I'm wondering if the high price tag for the Pibbs is just for the "name", I would think the ones on Ebay would be just as good, after all, it's just steam. How expensive should a machine for that be? lol

ShiShi, it seems as though you can get them on Ebay for under 200, which includes shipping. Another poster said she was trying to work out a deal with Pibbs, but I'm wondering if the high price tag for the Pibbs is just for the "name", I would think the ones on Ebay would be just as good, after all, it's just steam. How expensive should a machine for that be? lol

Thanks...I will keep that in mind. I don't mind paying that much if it's something I will use a lot.

I wash with Aveda Sap Moss then apply Nexxus Humectress. Wrap a warm damp towel around my hair then a plasctic cap or bag :grin:. Then under the hooded dryer for 30 mins. Hair feels unbelievable. :lick:
First time of doing this, although have had steams at the salon. I think the conditioner penetrates the open hair shaft much more effectively and infuses moisture/water deep into strands.
I will incorporate this in my regime monthly. :yep::yep::yep:

I wash with Aveda Sap Moss then apply Nexxus Humectress. Wrap a warm damp towel around my hair then a plasctic cap or bag :grin:. Then under the hooded dryer for 30 mins. Hair feels unbelievable. :lick:

First time of doing this, although have had steams at the salon. I think the conditioner penetrates the open hair shaft much more effectively and infuses moisture/water deep into strands.

I will incorporate this in my regime monthly. :yep::yep::yep:

I'm going to try this next!

I washed with the chandrika soap bar, conditioned with my cholesterol concoction to which I added yogurt, MSM and honey, soaked a stocking cap in steaming hot water, wrung out and put it on my head, then put on a plastic cap over that and went under the heat cap for 30 minutes. My hair turned out wonderfully. Last week, I did it with my protein treatment. I was going to get a hair steamer, but decided not to because this works extremely well for me.

I washed with the chandrika soap bar, conditioned with my cholesterol concoction to which I added yogurt, MSM and honey, soaked a stocking cap in steaming hot water, wrung out and put it on my head, then put on a plastic cap over that and went under the heat cap for 30 minutes. My hair turned out wonderfully. Last week, I did it with my protein treatment. I was going to get a hair steamer, but decided not to because this works extremely well for me.

WOW..just a stocking cap..I've got to try this b/c I tried using the wet towel and it was way too bulky and my heat cap would not fit over my head..very frustrating...so I will try the stocking cap b/c it fits right over your head--no bulk

Can I ask why we are putting the warm wet towel or stocking cap, etc on our hair first and not the plastic cap first & then the warm wet towel or cap?

Will it have the same effect if we did it the opposite way as well?

I have done it both ways -- plastic cap, then scarf or stocking cap over that when I was using body heat to generate the heat for the treatment. I would keep them on several hours. Your body generates the heat and the scarf and/or cap traps it -- something like that. With the heat cap, I put the plastic cap on between the wet stocking cap and the heat cap because the heat cap is electric and the instructions say use a plastic cap.

ladies would sj method work if I put the plastic cap on first and then the towel followed by another plastic cap? I am afraid that I will burn my scalp if I place the towel directly on my hair(due to it being cut extremely short/bald fade).

tishee...I think the water needs to be next to the hair but trapped to create a steamy environment where water vapour condences then evapourates in a cycle. You need to be aware of safety though as a scalded scalp is not the look anyone is after. :nono:

tishee...I think the water needs to be next to the hair but trapped to create a steamy environment where water vapour condences then evapourates in a cycle. You need to be aware of safety though as a scalded scalp is not the look anyone is after. :nono:

thanks sweetie!

I did this twice last week and I loved it. I used a steaming hot towel and a plastic cap and a soft bonnet hair dryer, the kind with the drawstrings. The steam seems to drive the moisture and conditioner into the hair.

What is the deal with steam?

I have not read the threads, but I have seen the titles.

I kinda use steam. I wash and deep condition my hair on my workout days. I wash my hair and then apply my conditioner and plastic cap. I cover it with a scarf most time, but sometimes I don't. Then I have a Taebo session for 30-50 min and rinse my conditioner off. There is always steam when I remove the cap. I never sit under the dryer. Is that what you guys are talking about?

I kinda use steam. I wash and deep condition my hair on my workout days. I wash my hair and then apply my conditioner and plastic cap. I cover it with a scarf most time, but sometimes I don't. Then I have a Taebo session for 30-50 min and rinse my conditioner off. There is always steam when I remove the cap. I never sit under the dryer. Is that what you guys are talking about?

Damn! Your body heats up that much during Taebo that it produces steam under your shower cap??? I would never think that was possible.

What's the difference?

If your hair is wet won't it produce a steamy environment regardless?

I heated a wet towel last night and put it on my head on top of a plastic bag...(someone posted a method like this-can't remember who...the one with the turbi twists, plastic gloves, etc.) no steam but my head was sooooooo relaxed and that intense heat really locked that conditioner in.

I was thinking of getting a steamer but I need convincing! They are expensive!

I was wondering the same thing. I'll be sure to folllow the thread closely for information. Thanks for posting ShiShi!

there is a salon by my house that has this high tech hair steamer. I was wondering what that thing was yesterday

Wow.Did you see how the steam comes out of it? It looks like a flat dish floating above the head. How is the steam concentrated on the hair? Can you find out what the brand name is? I might want to buy it. Sorry for so many questions!

Wow.Did you see how the steam comes out of it? It looks like a flat dish floating above the head. How is the steam concentrated on the hair? Can you find out what the brand name is? I might want to buy it. Sorry for so many questions!

I was in a shopping center and did not see it being used by anyone the salon was actually closed but I saw it through the window.

I tried this this morning but I slathered my hair with bain de terre primrose treatment,put a plastic cap on and THEN wrapped it with a warm towel and sat under the dryer.

Hi there SJ. Could you give me a bit more info about the reasoning for steaming monthly.
I have done two steam tratments in two weeks. :blush:
But it felt soooooooo good.:poke: :naughty::badgirl:

Hi there SJ. Could you give me a bit more info about the reasoning for steaming monthly.
I have done two steam tratments in two weeks. :blush:
But it felt soooooooo good.:poke: :naughty::badgirl:

I took it to mean that you steam at least monthly. I'm about to order my steamer today and I might make it a weekly treat, so long as it's not damaging my hair. I don't see how it could though since it just ensures deep penetration of your conditioner.

Back