Steamers and Plastic Caps...Why???

luvmesumhair

I have a question. I notice that a lot of women put plastic caps on their hair when going under the hair steamer. Why do they do that?

I would think that defeats the purpose of the steam getting to the hair itself. I myself do not put a cap on. I mean, if I am going to put a cap on I might as well go under my Pibbs.

Am I correct in thinking this way?:look:

I am with you, I don't see the point of putting on a plastic cap either. I section my hair, add my conditioner and slightly twist each section. I gather each twist at the top of my head, add some extra conditioner to hold the ends in place at my crown and sit down.

I am with you, I don't see the point of putting on a plastic cap either. I section my hair, add my conditioner and slightly twist each section. I gather each twist at the top of my head, add some extra conditioner to hold the ends in place at my crown and sit down.
Right!

Ladies who use plastic caps, why do you do it that way???

:lachen: I wondered the same thing as well!!! And I dunno why I do it....I do it cuz the ladies said to do it that way. :look:
But think about it. Would'nt it make sense to let the steam actually make contact with your hair?

Are you going to try it next time?

I've never used an 'actual' steamer, but yeah, I wouldn't wear a plastic cap, either, assuming the steamer 'fits' onto my head well enough that the steam wouldn't escape.

If the steam is sliding out all around the edges though, I might wear a plastic cap, thinking that it would help hold in some steam. :lol:

When I do steam treatments- I use a turban DIRECTLY on my hair, then a plastic cap.

So the plastic TRAPS the steam.

Hope that helps.

Not until i came to this site did i ever question the whole wearing a cap under the steamer. That's how it's done at all the salons i've been to that offer it in jamaica. But it does make sense to have the hair exposed to the steam. After all that's what happens in saunas and when we do steam facials.
I've tried it both ways, using a hair net to hold my hair. With the plastic cap, it can get really hot under there. Honestly i didn't do a proper comparison between the 2. But try it for urselfs and see which one u prefer.

But think about it. Would'nt it make sense to let the steam actually make contact with your hair?

Are you going to try it next time?

That is true though. I guess I will buy a hair net to hold my hair up, so I can try to steam without the plastic cap.

My hair dresser never used a plastic cap..she just wrapped some cotton around my edges to catch the dripping

at home I am too scared to put a hot turban right on my hair. I used saran wrap because I can wrap the sides and keep the crown unwrapped so that some steam can get in :yep: Then I put the turban, plastic cap over that, and then my heat cap.

If I had an actually steamer I would use nothing

Back