Pyhtospecific relaxer

BW1

Hello Everyone,
This is my very first post, although I have been stalking the boards for several months. I have a question about the Phytospecific relaxer. I have heard rave reviews about this relaxer from you all. I did a search of this product in this forum and I noticed early on there were negative comments about this relaxer. I also noticed someone else commented that over time this relaxer made there hair dry and brittle and it began to break. I have fine hair and I just took down my braids and will need a relaxer soon. Should I try this relaxer or not? I am thinking about trying Index 1.

Thanks

BW1

I did it for the first time last night cuz I heard good stuff. I have fine thin damaged hair and my hair was hard afterwards. I had to deep condition it. Even using soft-n-beautiful my hair was never that hard and it is way more harsh. Use it if you want but I wont use it again(sorry Kaddy,lol).

I am not a phyto user (I plan to use it for my next relaxer in 3 weeks), but I have two cousins who are faithful users. Cousin 1 has always had long hair BUT would relax every 4 weeks because her hair would break off otherwise. Her hair type is 3c/4a. Cousin 2, her sister, has very course 4a/b with collarbone length hair. They both have had a tremendous experience with phyto in the last
year and a half. Cousin 1 can now stretch her relaxers from 4 weeks to 12 weeks. Cousin 2 does the same but has not gained length BUT I would attribute this to the absence of a consitent reigmen.

HTH

I have used Phyto recently after taking out braids and I loved it. The company originally sent my stylist a kit of the relaxer but she just threw it out. Then when I brought it in for her to use in my hair, she acknowledged that it was a good relaxer after seeing the results.

I was also torn between Index 1 or Index 2...as a matter of fact, I still am :lol: . I was not worried about Phyto drying out my hair because it does not contain calcium hydroxide. I believe that is what causes other no-lye relaxers to dry out the hair.

Maybe following up with a moisturizing conditioner after the milk reconstructor provided with the kit will help :ohwell:

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!!

Well I think it is really your decision whether you should use the relaxer, but I believe it is an EXCELLENT relaxer and left my hair very soft. I didn't have the hard hair that landakaye is talking about. I know that there are several ladies here that rave about the relaxer, I being the one with the biggest mouth though :lachen:

what relaxers have you used int he past? Is there a reason you want to switch from those?

Now I don't doubt the PhytoRelaxer at all, but just what to see what is making you decide to switch or possibly switch.

GO PHYTORELAXER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Kaddy,
I wanted to like it and I followed the instructions to a T and went as far as telling everyone in the house not to bother me until I was done setting my hair. I figured hey maybe it just needs the Milky restructerer but that didnt soften it either. I dont know what else to do LOL especially after reading the pH levels of the others LOL.

BW1,

i think the best thread to read regarding The PhytoRelaxer is this on: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=45238 You may have read it, but I think it gives the various views of many of the ladies that use it.

Landakaye

I'm sad that the Phytorelaxer didn't work for you, but like we find out here on the forum, what works for some won't work for all. What did you use to set your hair after you used the relaxer? I mean after you shampooed and used the milky reconstructor? Do you think that could have led to the hard feeling of your hair?

GO P H Y T O R E L A X E R

KAddy said:
WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!!

Well I think it is really your decision whether you should use the relaxer, but I believe it is an EXCELLENT relaxer and left my hair very soft. I didn't have the hard hair that landakaye is talking about. I know that there are several ladies here that rave about the relaxer, I being the one with the biggest mouth though :lachen:

what relaxers have you used int he past? Is there a reason you want to switch from those?

Now I don't doubt the PhytoRelaxer at all, but just what to see what is making you decide to switch or possibly switch.

GO PHYTORELAXER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:
Kaddy,
In the past I have used Affirm and Design Essentials. The reason I want to try this relaxer is because It seems as if it is not as harsh as some of the other relaxers. At least, that is the impression I am getting from most of the posts on the forum. If it is less harsh on the hair then to me that will soon equal healthier hair. I have fine fragile hair. The less harsh the better.

Kaddy,
It was hard when it was wet after I rinsed the milky stuff out of it. I dont know why it behaved that way. I really wanted to like this one.

landakaye said:
Kaddy,
It was hard when it was wet after I rinsed the milky stuff out of it. I dont know why it behaved that way. I really wanted to like this one.

this is very interesting to hear, landkaye... because after i used phytorelaxer 2 for the first time, my hair was a bit stiff and heavy after my stylist rinsed it out.... but then after she applied my moisturizing/protein conditioner to my hair, my hair was softer and had more body than usual and has been like that every since... i know it soundskind of strange....

When I first used the PhytoRelaxer I had already made the decision before even visiting this board. At the time none of the active members had had much experience w/the PhytoRelaxer (at least I could locate no one) and the old posts were negative. I did my own thorough research so I was confident and have had nothing but great results w/it.

I'm always skeptical of Phyto criticisms b/c I believe chemicals should be handled by professionals and attribute the lack of that presence to the negative experience (primarily). I had to abandon this philosophy personally when it came to texturizing my hair b/c I can only find fools masquerading as professionals. Secondly, I think you have to start w/healthy hair before you can evaluate any product, b/c damaged hair already has issues that a chemical can only exacerbate.

I don't think the relaxer itself causes dryness, I think the neutralizing poo is the culprit, b/c it stripped my hair after several poos (my suds were never totally white). No stylist uses exclusively what's in the kit and they wash your hair several times. I use the Milky Reconstructor, but I also follow again w/a moisturing poo and then another reconstructor/moisturizing conditioner (Keraphix/Humectress) w/heat for 20+ mins. If you have dry or damaged hair to start or want to avoid having dry/damaged hair after any relaxer I think you need to take some extra steps.

Re: Phytospecific relaxer

I think sengs makes an excellent point. Starting with a healthy head of hair when getting a relaxer can make all the difference in the world.

34. Can I use the PhytoRelaxer on my damaged hair?
No. Damaged hair should not be relaxed with PhytoRelaxer or any other relaxer. When the hair is damaged, it does not respond appropriately to any relaxing product. The hair should be treated and conditioned until a healthy condition is achieved.
I am not saying that my hair was 100% healthy when I used it, but I do believe that the current state that one's hair is in will definitely play an essential role in the outcome of the product used.

Back