• 4-5 years

Votes: 20 6.4%
  • 5+ years

Votes: 80 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

youwillrise

it will be 6 years in november. : )

this upcoming tuesday (july 12) will be the 6th anniversary of my last relaxer.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I transitioned for 6 months and have been natural for 8 months now. :) I cannot wait to get to BSL so I can give up the wigs and rock my hair out. I hope to one day have braids and twists traveling down my back like Haircrush or flowing locks like LeobodyC5.

Shananyganz

I transitioned 6 months and have been natural 2 years this past June. I've learned that for *MY* hair, it is best to keep it simple. My hair likes to be left alone and when I comply, it treats me better and stays on my head.

~S~

Forever in Bloom

I got my last relaxer at the end of July 2007. I transitioned from August to the beginning of December 2007. I BC'd December 6, 2007 and ended up with 1 inch to 1.5 inches of hair so... 3 years, 7 months, and 3 days

I went from this

to this in that amount of time

with a lot of trims and cuts in between

fluffyforever

This is my 4/5th year since I chopped in 2007 but had my last perm Dec 2006. I love being natural, but it is a rocky journey for sure figuring out what my hair likes. To this day I am still finding techniques or products that work best for my hair.

Due to frustration from ssk and perpetual dryness and hardness of my hair, I decided to chop it all off again Nov 2010 after approaching MBL (my goal). But my growth is back on track and I promised to take better care of my hair. Its growing again and retaining moisture like never before! Now if I can only keep up with this promise, I'm sure I can get back to my goal asap.

knt1229

This is my 4/5th year since I chopped in 2007 but had my last perm Dec 2006. I love being natural, but it is a rocky journey for sure figuring out what my hair likes. To this day I am still finding techniques or products that work best for my hair.

Due to frustration from ssk and perpetual dryness and hardness of my hair, I decided to chop it all off again Nov 2010 after approaching MBL (my goal). But my growth is back on track and I promised to take better care of my hair. Its growing again and retaining moisture like never before! Now if I can only keep up with this promise, I'm sure I can get back to my goal asap.

@fluffyforever

FYI: In case you have anymore problems with moisture retention....ACV rinse might help your hair retain moisture. I am a type 4 and it works wonders for me. I do it once a week.

Dreamer48

BC'd February 2006 and I had the cutest little fro. I liked it so much, that I BC'd again in year 3 when I got to that awkward stage.

One important lesson I've learned is to not try every technique under the sun. Your head of hair is unique, so what works for some will not always work for you. I've had major setbacks because I tried too many regimens and hairstyles that my hair could not withstand.

sj10460

Don't Come for me unless I send for you!
Since 07 after a horrible hair cut (thought i was rihanna)...i wear wigs and braids, but I never leave the house without my natural hair straighten

fifi134

I've been natural for 3 years. My advice would be literally to keep it simple. You can have fancy styles without doing too much. Keep a routine and try to stick to it and doing your hair will be a breeze. My other piece of advice would be not to get too caught up in your hair. It's just hair after all.

iri9109

my last relaxer was 11/25/09, i BC'd 3/25/10, so i've been natural for 15.5 months, and i'm 19.5 months post relaxer.

Aine

8.5 years. I still can't believe I've been natural as long as I have, yet I can barely remember my relaxed hair days now.

Bublin

I transitioned for almost 2 years and recently cut the relaxed ends off.

My best tip is to stay away from heat as much as possible - it set me back alot - dry, brittle broken off hair from blowdrying and flat ironing once a week. My thin hair couldn't take it.

Now that i air dry wash days are not long and drawn out. This means frequent much needed washes = more moisturised hair.

I also realised that i had a 'relaxed hair' mentality and i needed to stop wanted my hair to be straight/sleek/fuzz free. Once i changed my way of thinking i started to really enjoy and embrace my hair.

I am still having trouble in making my hair look a 'decent sleek' for buns but that is the way my hair is and i'm going to have to accept that. I do not want to relax it again.

softblackcotton

Since forever, and it seems like I can't get pass between SL-CBL no matter what I do. Honestly I haven't had a relaxer since I was 15. I'm 26 now. I've literally tried EVERYTHING. Breakage non-stop. My last resort is to start trimming my hair which I've never ever done before seems to be working. This is the least breakage I've had since I angrily cut 3-4 inches of torn up ends off. I figured if I don't cut my hair, it will cut itself anyway. Plus my hair grows SLOOOOOOW. 4 inches is like a years worth of growth for me. People who have been natural for 2 years have already past my length. All I have is lots of thickness. I've resigned myself to SL to CBL for life. Maybe something is internally wrong I've always been anemic. There has to be something wrong. I just haven't figured it out yet. I'll pray.

toinette

Tricking the president
My last relaxer was mid-August 2010 and I BCed December 31, 2010...so I've been natural 6 months and am 11 months post-relaxer

MzSwift

softblackcotton :bighug:

How often do you manipulate your hair?
My hair is much like your screenname, except that it's brown :grin:, and low to no manipulation has been helping me to retain hair.

I also grow less than the 6" per year, so I know how it is to feel behind on the growth.

Hang in there, girl! You'll figure it out soon!

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
5+ years. Concentrating on healthy retention now.

I should never have colored my hair back in the day... *rolls eyes*

Qtee

If I count my transition..I have been natural since 2/09 (my last perm)..however I dont count my transition usually so I voted between 1-2 yrs..I BC'd in sept 09...I actually BC'd the relaxed hair and most of the natural new growth...so for me thats when my natural journey began..in 2 months it will be 2 yrs..

chocolate01

I count from the day I cut the last of my relaxer out, which was 7/4/2005. So as of last Monday it has been 6 yrs completely natural. Next month 8/4 will be 7 yrs since my last relaxer.