Votes: 10 12.8%
  • A good amount of protein in my regime

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Little to no protein in my regime, all moisture

Votes: 7 9.0%

• Total voters

laurend

1. My hair type is 4a.
2. I actually don't get a ton of knots (I'm referring to single strand knots), and I don't notice them except on the rare occasion where I want to straighten my hair.
3. I don't track the amount of protein in my regimen, but I expect that it is a small amount. I focus the most on just keeping my hair moisturized. I've never analyzed a product for the amount of protein in it. I just go by whether or not a product works for me, and I alternate products based on my moisture needs. Plus, I believe that naturals need less protein than those who are relaxed.

If your hair is 4A then I'm 4F, 4G:lachen: SEMO, I think your hair is 3C, I just checked out your fotki.

Ediese

I'm 4a, and I have a lot of knots. The curls at the end of my hair is constantly knotting together. I've been detangling by section, braiding it up, and heavily moisturizing with shea butter. That seems to help.

ETA: I don't use alot of protein. My hair doesnt' seem to like protein.

oooop2

1. What is your hair type?Mostly 4a

2. Do you get alot of knots? I used to before I started applying an aloe vera/glycerin/evoo/castor mix to my ends. Now I have very few. I found that when my hair was dry on the ends, the knots would form. Keeping them moistened and sealed w/ castor oil gives my hair more slip and it doesn't tangle/knot as easily.

3. How much protein is in your regime? I don't really monitor this. But more overall health of my hair.

ImFree27

3c-4a, my knots have decreased when I keep my hair stretched and ends moistruize and hair detangled....no more knots for me...

naturalgurl

I very rarely get knots and I'm a 4a/b happy nappy. I use very little protein. I may do a protein DC once a month with egg whites and yogurt. I use coconut oil and aloe which are said to have low protein qualities. In my honest opinion, which is just MY opinion, I believe lots of moisture and wearing mostly protective styles prevents knots. Whenever I wear my hair out, the ends dry and tangle more. Wetting my hair and combing it while wet makes detangling WITHOUT PRODUCT a dream. I still don't get knots detangling my wet hair with a wide tooth comb. So who knows, maybe I'm just blessed.:ohwell:

sxyhairfetish

1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one I am 4a

2. Do you get alot of knots? I get knots when I take out my braids (small ones at the ends) but then I'll just give myself a trim or a little dusting. Other than that I dont get many.

3. How much protein is in your regime? Not much at all because my natural hair seems to hate protein. I do think however if I were to use more protein, I would get more knots.

Carrie A

IMO, the difference between 4A and 4B is the size of the coils. No one's hair grows out of their head without some form of pattern. It's either straight, curly/coily or wavy. That's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it. :giggle:

OT: ITA ^^^

discobiscuits

Can some one explain what these knots are? I don't seem to experience this? R U all talking about pixies? R U all talking about tangles on or at the ends?

Hysi

1) 3c/b/4a
2) not so many knots and I wear wng's everyday for the summer months
3) I have just began using "more" protein as of late because I think the constant moisture in was getting to be a bit much and using mostly moisturizing condish, besides ORS every now and then, I began to notice more breakage- the mushy feel; and my hair loves proteins! So I did a hc aphogee and have began doing reg proteins followed by moisture to get my hair back nice n strong.

silenttullip

Yep I get them like crazy right after I do a search and destroy 2 weeks later *they're back*
My dominant type is 4a
Currently protein is all over my reggie Giovanni poo cond and leave in

darlingdiva

I am a 4a/4b coily but fine-stranded natural (trying to be as specific as possible), and I get knots all the time. I have a moderate amount of protein in my regimen. I may spritz my ends with aloe vera juice & seal them with castor oil tonight.

Prudent1

1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one- I'm not good with the hair typing thing. TBH it seems as if since I'm almost finished with my transition my hair type has changed now that I actually can see my hair:look:. I'm close to a 4a.

2. Do you get alot of knots? A few-not too many.

3. How much protein is in your regime? I try to use serious protein once a month or every 6 weeks ish. Or before flat ironing. I use a lighter protein as needed to combat occassional shedding. I really try to keep a good protein moisture balance overall. :yep:

Hope this helps.

natural_one

I am mostly 4a

I only get knots in the nape of my head and sometimes towards the middle where it is the thickest.

I dont really use protein too much because I dont straighten often. I straighten maybe once a year and its only a light blowdry in preparation for braids.

Diva_Esq

Because it isn't multi-option, your polling numbers will be off.

1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one? 3b is dominant, some 3a & 3 c

2. Do you get alot of knots? very, very rarely ever

3. How much protein is in your regime? I do a protein treatment once every 2-3 months. I cowash daily and use a lot of moisture which is what I think cuts down the knots. I detangle very well and leave a full strength condish in with lots of slip.

ajargon02

I absolutely DO get lots if knots on the ends. That's usually a sign that a trim is needed. I cut them off immediately.

I totally agree with this. I notice that when I am getting excessive knots, it's time for a trim. I have started to do search and destroys and this helps as well. Plus I have noticed in the past when I wasn't using hair scissors, that would cause problems with knots soon after trims. For me, I use protein on a rotating basis. I try to get protein through coconut oil pre-poos, henna ( not often anymore ) aphogee ( the one that you need heat to make hard ) and j-koico kpack ( sp? ) I rotate the use of each about once a month for the protein. I normally do oil prepoos after finger detangling. I have noticed that the oil hot tx/prepoo with heat ( or overnight ) PRIOR to washing REALLY HELPS with preventing knots. Usually I will use olive oil as a pre-poo unless it's protein week.

ETA: also making sure to seal my ends and moisturize with water really seems to be helping. I also only wear my hair out at the most 1-2 times per month, unless it's being washed. I KEEP it in ps. That's really making the difference for me.

Last edited:

iri9109

i was examining a few shed hairs last week and a couple had knots on them =/ that was the 1st time i had ever seen them...i dont use protein often (i used protein DC last week for the 1st time in 6 months) and im predominantly a wash n goer...3c/4a i think...wash and DC weekly and cowash once during the week