Votes: 26 8.3%
  • 4-5 years

Votes: 20 6.4%
  • 5+ years

Votes: 80 25.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nicole625

7 years but I've shaved my hair off a few times within those years. This is the first time I am learning to take care of my hair, so my main goal is to get very healthy and grow just a few inches. I actually hate long hair on me

Chromia

About a year and a half. My last relaxer was in September 2007. It was January or February 2010 when I cut off the remaining relaxed hair though.

Diva_Esq

My last relaxer was May 2, 2009. My BC was April 5, 2010. I selected 2-3 years.

My biggest tips are CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION!!! I deep condition 1x weekly, cowash daily with a moisturizing deep conditioner, leave-in a FULL STRENGTH moisturizing conditioner, and do protein treatments 2x a month!

LaVgirl

I've been natural since birth! Unfortunately, I only started learning how to take care of my hair late last year and officially started my hair journey in January '11. Ah, if I had known a few years ago what I know now, my hair would be the business! :ohwell:

anartist4u2001

Thank you! Not sure about the length. That style was created from twists set on wet hair and I have major shrinkage. If I had to guess, I will say that the length is probably lower neck, but above my shoulders.

The hair below it in the middle is bra strap length when straightened.

ugh, your hair is amazing girl!!! :grin:

a_shoe_6307

Let's see...been natural for about 1.5 now, but that was only for a year when I cut all my hair off & was texlaxing. Before that I was natural for all my life which was 28 years.

My tip is to lay off of heat styling if you want to maintain your curl pattern & detangling while wet with a awesome conditioner that has slip.

Last edited:

beccaBeccaBECCA

I went natural almost 10 years ago - when I was 14. Didn't even know what going natural was - I just didn't want to go to the shop and get relaxers anymore, so I didn't. Then, when I was 15 and hadn't had a relaxer in a few months, I realized that I was dealing with two different textures, so I cut everything off at the line of demarcation.

And the rest is history. My hair had gotten pretty long by the time I was 19, but I experimented with some home lightening and had to BC all over again a little over 3 years ago. I'm back at APL in the front and BSL in the back and am shooting for WL by 2012.

Going natural - even though there were absolutely no online resources for it 10 years ago (though Motown Girl popped up 2 or 3 years in) - was the best hair decision I've ever made.

And since I went natural, 4 generations of women in my family have done the same: my younger sister, my aunt - who's a member here and the reason I joined - my grandmother, my mom, my cousin, and my sister's 18 month old daughter won't be getting a relaxer either.

Four generations of curlies of varying textures and lengths - but we're all 100% natural. We should take a portrait or something.

FEELS GOOD!

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I've been natural for 8 years. I transitioned w/o really knowing I was transitioning, just knew I didn't want to relax anymore. What can I say I was 16? I would get my hair flat ironed every two weeks because I didn't know what to do with it. I BC'd in 2005 after getting some head damage and here I am today.

cbanks67

I think its 10yrs now. I believe 01 was the year I finally gave up the creamy crack. For a while I was into this baby perm stuff. I've had various cuts over the years but I just hit BSL. Turns out my hair needed more love. Yes, when I went natural I heard a lot of comments and the only other naturals that I knew at the time were dreads.( I went to a HBCU) Its different now. I'm happy to see so much more acceptance and I don't feel like its a fad or anything. I definitely see the benefits but all heads have to put that time and care in. I just realized I was being too rough with my hair but its responding well to less manipulation.