Pin Curls on Blow Dried Hair *PICTURES*

ChristmasCarol

Thanks @CurlyLawGal for the inspiration to pin curl for church this morning!

I blew my hair out two days ago:

First, I DC'd with Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat for an hour and rinsed well. I didn't use any shampoo. I only shampoo when I flatiron once every 6 weeks.

Then I sectioned hair into 6 parts, mixed a pea-sized amount of Crisco and the same amount of IC Fantasia Protectant in the palm of my hand and applied to wet hair. I let it air-dry for 30 minutes or so before I blow dried it on low/medium. Finally, I used the wide-tooth comb attachment first, then used the fine-tooth comb attachment through each part after it was dry. I never, ever blowdry straight from the shower because I'd have to use high heat.

I wore it in a ponytail until I pin-curled it last night. I didn't add any styling products - so I knew would cause the curls to fall quickly. But since I was only going to church for a little while (maybe longer than a little while - my COGIC sistas know what I mean :lol:) I figured it would hold up. I try to stay away from putting any products in my hair so that I can avoid any dryness they may cause and so I won't have to use shampoo very often.

This was the result:

And after a few hours:

The curls fell, but I'll probably do this more often when I only want curls for a couple hours.

Thanks for looking - any tips are appreciated :yep:

Last edited:

Nonie

sipp100 I love big hair so I don't really care that the curls fell out. BTW the waves in the first pic had my attention and I was loving that too before I got to the pincurls.

I haven't done pincurls yet but like you, I don't like a lot or (or any) products in my hair. Ironically the longest lasting "set" seem to be when I do them on bare hair. Not sure how that would work when you're using heat though. But when I'd try to create curls in my extension braids--the closest I've come to having hair that looks like blow-dried or relaxed long hair--if I had product in my hair (again not a lot coz I hate stuff in my hair) the curls would flop within hours. If I however did it on bare hair, the curls lasted till I took them out.

Same thing happens with twist-outs. Go figure.

Ltown

Greyland
sipp100, love it! You are working it, it good you are experimenting now so when you finish transition it will be a piece of cake.

ChristmasCarol

Nonie

We're in total agreement regarding naked hair. I can't tolerate any "stuff" in it, other than oils. Something about styling products gives me the creeps - it's called gellphobia (I made that up)

If I blow-dry or flatiron my hair, I cannot get curls to hold without product. But, If I use rollers on my natural hair without product, I look like Little Orphan Annie! The only way I can get curls with hold on heat-straightened hair is by using a ton of styling product.

Lita

Very pretty..Nice & full..I Love Big Hair...Thanks for the tag...

*You look like on of my sisters hair & complexion... I had to look twice..lol..

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
girl bye! those curls did not fall. they just got better as the day went on....it's like you got two styles for the price of one! :)

your hair looks lush.......i'm impressed!

GIJane

Now you have me wanting to have someone to send crisco to me. The blow-out was nice. But the pin curls are beautiful. Your hair looks nice and full.

ChristmasCarol

Very pretty..Nice & full..I Love Big Hair...Thanks for the tag...

*You look like on of my sisters hair & complexion... I had to look twice..lol..

Happy Hair Growing!

Thank you Lita

I must have a generic (not in a bad way) African-American face, because people are always telling me I look like one of their relatives. I could free-lance as a stand-in for family pictures :lol:

LifeafterLHCF

I see you giving us the sexy eye from that lush mane..poor hubby will have to get you a security detail to fight off men folk wanting to look..

ChristmasCarol

girl bye! those curls did not fall. they just got better as the day went on....it's like you got two styles for the price of one! :)

your hair looks lush.......i'm impressed!

Thanks havilland

Oh, that's what the young folks are calling fallen curls these days?

"My curls ain't fall, that's just hairstyle #2" :lol: