Pic Request- Box Braids and Cornrows WITHOUT extensions

PPGbubbles

Ladies I need some inspiration.

I want to try box braids and/or cornrows with natural hair sans extensions.

Please post pics of your own hair or links to videos anything that can be helpful.

My main concern is creative parting and placement since I am a fine hair natural med density

I want to be more creative with my protective styles and want to avoid fake hair.

So, please help!.....pretty pretty please with sugar on top :grin:

ETA: Please answer the following
how long did the style take?
How long did the style last you?

ETA2: I completed my braids :yep: Thank you to all who helped pics are attached

and for fun I added the bantu knot out I did on blow dried hair before I braided

Attachments

• braids back view.jpg
    braids back view.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 171
  • braids full back view.jpg
    braids full back view.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 153
  • braids top view.jpg
    braids top view.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Braids side view.jpg
    Braids side view.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 142
  • bantu knot out on blow dried hair.jpg
    bantu knot out on blow dried hair.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

davisbr88

I have in some micro/mini box braids but I have fine hair low-medium density so they're pretty scalpy so I doubt you'll want to see them.... lol.
But check out KinkyKurlyQueen's braids as well as PrettyDimples01's braids on YT. KKQ's are the smallest and she wears them for a month or a bit longer. Mine are around that size and I plan to keep them in for 6 weeks.

PPGbubbles

I have in some micro/mini box braids but I have fine hair low-medium density so they're pretty scalpy so I doubt you'll want to see them.... lol.
But check out KinkyKurlyQueen's braids as well as PrettyDimples01's braids on YT. KKQ's are the smallest and she wears them for a month or a bit longer. Mine are around that size and I plan to keep them in for 6 weeks.

That is exactly what I want to see.

I am fine haired med/low density. I would be gratefull if you would share!

manter26

fine haired, medium- high density here

I usually bun when I wear them. I also cowash every day- 2 days which makes them curly and a little fuzzy/shrink so they are fuller.

Last edited:

PPGbubbles

fine haired, medium- high density here

larger ones

I usually bun when I wear them. I also cowash every day- 2 days which makes them curly and a little fuzzy/shrink so they are fuller.

Thanks a million!! manter26

question is the removal process hard? And how long do these usually last for?

I wanna rock a style for 3 weeks is this the way to win?

Mandy4610

Here you go. These are from almost 2yrs ago. Haven't done anything with just my hair since.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

davisbr88

Sure, I'll share.
Since I've been working out and sweating and have washed them, they've become slightly less scalpy, but yeah. Lol. Nothing to write home about.

Attachments

• Photo on 2011-03-24 at 18.25.jpg
    Photo on 2011-03-24 at 18.25.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 297
  • Photo on 2011-03-24 at 18.25 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2011-03-24 at 18.25 #2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 257
  • Photo on 2011-03-24 at 18.26.jpg
    Photo on 2011-03-24 at 18.26.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 251

PPGbubbles

Sure, I'll share.
Since I've been working out and sweating and have washed them, they've become slightly less scalpy, but yeah. Lol. Nothing to write home about.

davisbr88 first thank you for posting, the look fine to me

I edited my OP

can you answer the following?

Please answer the following
how long did the style take?
How long did the style last you?

davisbr88

davisbr88 first thank you for posting, the look fine to me

I edited my OP

can you answer the following?

Please answer the following
how long did the style take? About 7 hours. I blowdried first, and then braided with mango butter.
How long did the style last you? I am going to keep them in for 6 weeks. I'm not braiding over the summer, but I will rebraid in the fall and winter so I will wear them for 6 weeks, and then take 2-week breaks in between the braids.

Thanks for the compliment. :)
My responses are in red.

manter26

Thanks a million!! manter26

question is the removal process hard? And how long do these usually last for?

I wanna rock a style for 3 weeks is this the way to win?

I wash them until they basically unravel to half braids, half curls. The removal is easier than it looks and my hair is very moisturized when I take it down.

I probably leave them in for 5 weeks. It's definitely longer than 3. Small braids are my go to protective style. Twists cause knots so I avoid them.

Mandy4610

Thank you Mandy4610 that would make the perfect chic low bun.

How long did it take and how long did that last?

Took about 4hrs.....the braider has kids and she stopped several times to take care of the kids while I was there. I would say it would take about 2.5hrs if she didn't stop so many times.

Lasted about 4 wks. At the end of 4 wks this is what they looked like :

naijamerican

Great pictures! :yep: Please keep them coming ladies; I need some hair inspirations for the summer. I might even try doing this sometime in the coming weeks. :yep: This is great!

Pooks

I have a bunch of these!

Bantu knot out on mini-braids pinned to the side:

Bunned:

Freshly cowashed:

This is the set I'm wearing now:

They take between 7 and 9 hours to put in now depending on the size. I wear my minibraids for 4-5 weeks, washing, deep conditioning and cowashing at will.

Takedown is long, but I use Qhemet Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee and sometimes some olive oil and it's not a nightmare.

ETA: Creative parting inspiration: http://public.fotki.com/okorolina40/cg_technique_year_1/year-6-hair-maratho/nov09hair-009.html#media

I'll come back with cane(corn)row pics.

Last edited:

davisbr88

Pooks: You're my hero!!!!! It's so refreshing to see other low/medium density ladies posting these styles. I hope my hair grows up to be like yours!
Thanks for the thread, OP :)

Pooks

@Pooks: You're my hero!!!!! It's so refreshing to see other low/medium density ladies posting these styles. I hope my hair grows up to be like yours!
Thanks for the thread, OP :)

:blush: Thanks babe! I forgot to say, I have fine-medium strands but think I have high density... iono... all's I know is it's a lotta hair on my head, lol. :lol:

davisbr88

:blush: Thanks babe! I forgot to say, I have fine-medium strands but think I have high density... iono... all's I know is it's a lotta hair on my head, lol. :lol:

Oh, I just assumed it was low/medium because my hair sort of looks like that where you can see the scalp in between (whereas I've seen ladies that you can't even see their scalps when they braid/twist), but now that I look at it, your braids are also a lot thicker than mine as well so I'm probably wrong.
My medium density section is in my crown but I'm low density everywhere else. :ohwell:
Either way, your hair is beautiful! I can't wait until I get the length you have so I can try those cute styles you posted.

PPGbubbles

I wash them until they basically unravel to half braids, half curls. The removal is easier than it looks and my hair is very moisturized when I take it down.

I probably leave them in for 5 weeks. It's definitely longer than 3. Small braids are my go to protective style. Twists cause knots so I avoid them.

Took about 4hrs.....the braider has kids and she stopped several times to take care of the kids while I was there. I would say it would take about 2.5hrs if she didn't stop so many times.

Lasted about 4 wks. At the end of 4 wks this is what they looked like :

I have a bunch of these!

They take between 7 and 9 hours to put in now depending on the size. I wear my minibraids for 4-5 weeks, washing, deep conditioning and cowashing at will.

Takedown is long, but I use Qhemet Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee and sometimes some olive oil and it's not a nightmare.

ETA: Creative parting inspiration: http://public.fotki.com/okorolina40/cg_technique_year_1/year-6-hair-maratho/nov09hair-009.html#media

I'll come back with cane(corn)row pics.

Oh, I just assumed it was low/medium because my hair sort of looks like that where you can see the scalp in between (whereas I've seen ladies that you can't even see their scalps when they braid/twist), but now that I look at it, your braids are also a lot thicker than mine as well so I'm probably wrong.
My medium density section is in my crown but I'm low density everywhere else. :ohwell:
Either way, your hair is beautiful! I can't wait until I get the length you have so I can try those cute styles you posted.

Words can express how thankful I am for all your responses! it is hard to find info on braids w/o extensions

POOK! girl you rock! I am glad another fine haired lady posted. I imagine my braids would look a lot like yours

If there are any other ladies out there please keep the pics and link coming!

PPGbubbles

@Poohbear
and
ms-gg

thanks dolls!

Can you also tell me how long it took to install? and how long these styles lasted?

I am trying to plan accordingly because I want to do my braids this weekend.

your input would be greatly appreciated!