Cornrows on Your Own Hair Without Extensions?

options

I am in the process of growing my hair out. It's natural, about a 4A, and currently in the 4-inch range. I would have been growing it out a year come October. I've been natural for a long time and am very familiar with the nature and idiosyncracies of my hair; I'm just growing it out after cutting it off into a very, very short Caesar-type cut last year.

Anyway, I know that minimal manipulation will be key to me retaining length, based on my previous experiences and those of many of the ladies on here - relaxed and natural. I am not feeling wearing extensions right now and would like to wear my own hair, but leave it as unexposed and unmanipulated as possible. The best way to do this, I think, is to wear my own hair in cornrows. It definitely seems to work for the men! Look at all the brothers who wear cornrows much of the time; when they take their hair down, it's like whoa!

Anyway, I am feeling slightly self conscious about wearing cornrows on my own hair sans extensions. It is something I rarely, if ever, see. I am a good braider, but I guess I am having anxiety about perceptions of femininity and so on.

So had anyone worn extensions on their own hair for a considerable period of time? How did people react? What kinds of patterns did you do? What were the results on your hair?

options

Thanks, AFS. I really like the example you showed. I guess my issues surrounding femininity pertain to the fact that many of the women where I live who wear cornrows without extenions are very masculine-looking and, well, gay. I don't see many feminine women wearing cornrows without extensions. When you think about it, it's almost code for if a girl has cornrows with extensions, she's hetero; if not, she's gay.

Oh well, maybe it's all in my head, but that's what I see. I probably just need to get over it.

Wolftrap

Look in my album. I have a picture of me with braids without extensions. I thought this style looked very feminine and I got lots of compliments. This is a style you can try.

Nonie

Hey, I was the micro extension queen. Wore micros since August 2001 non-stop... and only switched to doing cornrows no extensions this year. And if it's any consolation, I do them myself and haven't quite learned how to part my natural hair straight in the back where I can't see. Still, it doesn't stop me...and I keep getting better. But until I get the parting right, I will continue to wear an afro puff. I think the style I wear is very feminine and it draws more compliments than my micros ever did...from men as well as women (white and black). So here's another option for you:

Then there's also the cornrow plus full wig option.

babyblue

i have a picture of cornrows in my album without extensions. the parts are crooked, but you can get the general idea

KathyMay

I have never worn cornrows without the added hair but as far as I know all have been wearing all summer long and they are sexy so no femininity here. If I get off my lazy arse I will post pics.

options

Thanks! I think as long as I can "flip" my cornrow styles, like wear different designs that are feminine, I'll be able to get over this hump. Really, it's something I'd like to do for the next several months, only taking breaks in between braiding sessions, when I might wear a braid-out before putting them back in.

babyblue

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
OT Babyblue, welcome to my list of idols!
Your hair is off da hook!

[/ QUOTE ]
aww thanks nonie!

zoya_j

have you ever thought about wearing two strand twists? when my hair was that length i alternated between weaves and twists.

NAY007

I wear cornrows usually without extensions unless I want to add some color to my dark hair.
I think this might depend on the hair type though and whatever you feel more comfortable with. I know that the people who braided my hair before were not that happy to use extensions because my hair is thick.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Can u please send me some tips on how to start the cornrow braid on natural hair? I'm trying to learn how to do my own cornrows

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
well i dont get any adverse reaction. i think it tends to look more feminine when it is not straight back. check out my album i have a few pics without extensions and a few with my phoney bun when i was using the baggie method for moisture
if you feel wierd about it you can always:
make sure your eyebrows are on point
wear makeup (my version is eyeliner and gloss)
wear earrings large and or hanging
accesorize your hair
accesorize in general bracelets, pins, etc
hope this helps

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
I wore cornrows for a few weeks with my own hair.

I'm also transitioning.

Edited cos links are forbidden all of a sudden?

I just put a small phony pony on top for a bit of style.

x

Last edited:

tryn2growmyhair

msportugal said:
well i dont get any adverse reaction. i think it tends to look more feminine when it is not straight back. check out my album i have a few pics without extensions and a few with my phoney bun when i was using the baggie method for moisture
if you feel wierd about it you can always:
make sure your eyebrows are on point
wear makeup (my version is eyeliner and gloss)
wear earrings large and or hanging
accesorize your hair
accesorize in general bracelets, pins, etc
hope this helps

I completely agree with this. If you are going to rock this style everything else should be on point. It's always all about the Total Look anyways, but unfortunately, in our anti-braids society, if you are going to wear this look, the rest of your appearance matters even more. I think that you should go ahead with cornrows without extensions. This is one of the most healthy braid styles that you can sport. Sometimes when I see some women wearing braids, I worry about what their hair will look like when they take the braids out. I myself am afraid of braids because they have always damaged my hair in the past, no matter how hard I tried to use them to grow my hair.

SouthernGirl

I'm so glad you posted this! I've always wanted cornrows, but I sort of feel the same way. I hate to admit this, but I can't get away with a style like that with my job. I don't even know if extensions would be any better.

I so want to cornrow my hair back, or just do a bunch of individual plaits. Now that just has to be my vacation style, but I hate it. Corp. America is something else!
SG