I'm done with cornrows, now on to box braids

plove

I'm in the Crown and Glory challenge for 2 years ( wish me luck )
After i did the BC in Nov 05, I started getting my hair done in cornrows.
Well i didn't like shelling out all that money.
So I did my own hair in box braids for the summer.
It took me 2 days, I paid $40 for the hair and this is my frist time using human hair.

I want to know
Who does there own box braids?
How long does it take to put them in?
How long do you leave them in?

Challengers
1st goal: shoulder length
2nd goal: APL by mid 07
3rd goal: BS by end of 07

http://public.fotki.com/lovep/pics of box braids
pw:havefun:lol:

Last edited:

Healthb4Length

plove said:
It took me 2 days, I paid $40 for the hair and this is my frist time using human hair.

I want to know

Challengers

http://public.fotki.com/lovep/

I'm on the C&G challenge too! Right now I'm just bunning my hair as a protective style, but I do my own box braids. It takes me about 2 or 3 days to do them too because my hands get tired :lol:, I get bored, I'm running errands etc. I usually keep them in for about 6 weeks max. Good luck on your journey!

hairspan

I do box braids, it usually takes about 4 to 8 hrs depending on how small & thick the persons hair, most of them keep the braids in 6 to 10 weeks, depending on how fast their hair grows

beyondcute

plove said:

I want to know

Challengers

http://public.fotki.com/lovep/pics of box braids

Ive done it before... Plenty of times. Im lazy so it talkes me ahile especially when I have enough braided so I can cover up the ubraided parts :nono: If I wen straight at it non stop it woudl take me about 2 days. I left them in for FOREVER! :lol: Naw... like 2 months. You can do your own cornrows too if you want... Take some practice and the parting is a b!tch but you can do it.

loonatick

when i used to wear extensions, i would do my own. I never had anyone do my hair apart from my mum.
It would usually take me all day, like 8 hours or something. i have pics in my natural folder. But i would leave them in forever!
like 3-4 months :eek:
I stopped wearing them and now do box braids or 2 starnd twists with my own hair, and it takes me around 2 hours.
Much better for me :D

E

EbonyRose

how do you do the intitial wrap--(i know that i'm gonna mess this up-explaining it) right before you add your own hair --you cross the added hair a certain way-in order to establish the base of the braid. how do you do that part-or where can i go to learn how to do it--i know how to cornrow my hair but i have trouble when i add the weave. it is not as neat.

Suri

beyondcute said:
Take some practice and the parting is a b!tch but you can do it.

I never thought I would be able to box braid and two strand twist but now I'm a pro:D , I really want to try cornrows but the parting is going to be a DISASTER, I always part and repart, and repart I'll spend 2 hours parting :( . Well after I take these individuals out I think I may try my hand at cornrows...we'll see.

Faith

plove said:
I want to know
I do my own. Just finished them yesterday. It took me 10 hours...I took a lot of breaks. But total braiding time was 10 hours. I will leave it in 6-12 weeks....not sure yet. These were braided all the way down and I tend to get bored with that so probably 6 weeks.