Olive oil 'drying out' effect

southerncitygirl

evoo in winter keeps my hair soft, evco is better for me int he summer months. i make a mix that is mostly evoo with kukui and meadowfoam mixed in.

Seamonster

I am so greedy, it has been hard for me to use yummy smelling oils on my hair. I ate my EVOO, it seems to improve my hair and skin from the inside. That coconut creme is delicious too

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I'm using EVOO now and only apply it to my scalp...I have thick natural hair and it's straight, soft...never encountered any drying effects using OO. How can oil be acidic .. or base, anyway? This new research is suspect.. lol

discodumpling

EVOO is my all purpose oil. Hair, skin, FOOD LOL! I have at times slathered one or the other of my children in it from head to toe...but not so much that I have noticed a negative effect. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm

Tiye

:rofl: Oh, nooooooooooow they are coming out with this info? What happened to "Olive oil is the oil of the gods" and whatnot? :lachen:

It IS a good oil. Like any other, it works great for some people and not so well for others when used topically. There was a time when people were e-screaming that coconut oil was drying. Now most are all about their coconut oil - after all it penetrates the strand, etc.. Olive oil is acidic and burns some people's skin - so I wouldn't use it on baby - I'd go with a milder veggie oil instead. But keep in mind that lower ph is good for the hair. In most cases people don't get good results from oils because they're not using them properly or they already have too many other products loaded on their hair that the oil doesn't add anything extra.

africa

This doesn't surprise me. I used EVOO a couple years ago as an overnight prepoo treatment and my hair was as hard and dry as a rock in the morning. Never again!

I remember when EVOO was the holy grail on this site too. Yet another lesson about the importance of listening to my hair and not worrying if something that seems to work for everyone else doesn't work for me.