olive oil

buffyangelfan2

I hear you can use olive oil on your hair. In what ways can you use it? And is it healthy? What kind does it have to be? The kind I have in my cabinet is Vigo 100% Pure Olive Oil. So it's not extra virgin. I am dying to try anything because for some reason, my hair is just so dry lately.

L.Mo.

I use any type of extra virgin olive oil. I once used one that was not extra virgin, and it felt like the oil wasn't going into my hair shaft... it just coated it and felt gross.

I've been doing this prior to finding this board. I warm it up in the microwave, coat all of my hair and sleep with a plastic cap. I wash in the morning. From my recollection (haven't done it recently) conditioner washes aren't enough for me to get it out of my whole head.

I know others use olive oil in the "baggie technique", and some may leave it on their hair...

That's my 2 cents!

soulchild

Extra Virgin is best, but you can use what you have too. You can do a pre-shampoo hot oil treatment or apply some oil to seal in the moisture after you moisturize. You can also mix it with your conditioners or leave-ins.

cybra

When I don't have my braids in, after my hair is washed and dry, I use a few drops of evoo in my hair to seal it. It seals good and leaves my hair feeling smoother.

Isis

Amanda (of the Amanda show) said she puts EVOO on her hair every night, then washes it out in the morning. I don't know what that will do to my 4a/b hair but using on the ends or mixing it with conditioners and leave-ins is great.

Angelicus

I add olive oil to everything. There is a difference between the two (Extra Virgin and Pure), but both seem to work just as well on my hair. I use the GoodValue (Wal-Mart) Brand.

ChasingBliss

I make my own daily moisturizer. I use 100% pure shea butter heated up and mix it with olive oil and coconut oil in a bottle. Then I spray my hair lightly with distilled water and put the mixture on my hair, especially my hair line, nape of my neck and ends. Im in the 1 year bun challenge since july, so Im not worried about having curls or anything like that right now. My hair has grown so much. Even the hairs at the nape of my neck went from an inch to 5 inches in length (the hair at my neck has never been that long before). My hair stays out of the air and completley moisturized with this mixture on a daily basis.

L.Mo.

Ohh.. HoneyLemonDrop that sounds yummy! Last night I misted with distilled H20, then used 100% shea butter followed by olive oil. My hair feels great. I like your idea of combining them together!! I'm gonna try this one...

marla

I use it mixed with Giovanni's Direct Leave-In after I wash and conditon my hair. I use the ponytail method to dry and my hair loves the weight of the EVOO! Some oils are too light to use after I wash, so I use them as a daily treatment.