Oil Olive Beneficial Uses For Hair Lovers

Nice Lady

Olive oil is a natural beauty and cosmetic aid to one’s overall inner and outer appearance—nails, hair, skin, baths, massages, and infant care. It health benefits are that it lowers cholesterol, regulates blood pressure and sugar levels, prevents specific forms of cancer such as breast, ovarian and colon. Olive oil is a carrier for Vitamins A & E (i.e., antioxidants) and is useful for sun damage.

Ancient history notates men and women using olive oil for their skin and hair. More specifically, Mediterranean women have used olive oil for hair care for centuries for healthy hair. Now, it is quickly making its way to North America. I have noticed that recently that there are more products on the market adding olive oil to shampoos, conditioners, heat protectants, sheen sprays, and/or even, relaxers claiming to add additional benefits to their potential customers. Personally, I love to add olive oil for my DC treatments because of its moisturizing effect on my hair.

Direct Benefits of Olive Oil On Our Hair
Olive oil contains fatty acids that inject moisture into the scalp and hair shaft. This helps to improve the elasticity and strength of our hair. It also does not clog our scalp such as products with petroleum creating a greasy build up. Olive oil added to heat protectants protects the hair against thermal(i.e., heat) styling. Adding olive oil along with drinking plenty of water will prevent dry, flaky hair and create healthy bouncy hair.

Best Type of Oil To Use
Olive oil is obtained from pressing or crushing action of olives. The varieties of olive oil are extra virgin, virgin, pure and extra light. The highest quality of these varieties is extra virgin olive oil (Note: Varieties are listed in the order of ascending from best to worst quality.). It is the cold press form of olive oil without using heat and no added flavors added to it. The less processing or handling of olive oil is the better the oil.

Olive Oil For Dry, Damaged Hair—Pre-poo
Take a few tablespoons or swipes of olive oil and massage into your scalp. Then, cover your head with a plastic cap for 30 minutes or more and shampoo. This pre-shampoo treatment will relieve dandruff, repair split ends and add luster to your hair.

• Additional Conditioning#1: For additional conditioning, mix the olive oil with egg yolk without warming it (P.S. We don’t want the egg to cook on your head!!!). Note: Or, in the case of dry, damaged hair use an intensive conditioner with olive oil as a main or top level ingredient to help moisturize and give strength to the hair.

• Additional Conditioning #2: Use olive oil with hair mayonnaise with whole egg protein as a preventative care to shedding and thinning hair.

• Additional Conditioning #3: Mix ¼ a cup of olive oil and 5 tsp of any essential oil (i.e., peppermint, rosemary, lavenders, etc.) and shake well in a bottle leaving it overnight. The next day rinse your hair well and apply the mixture from roots to ends. Let it sit for 30 minutes. Then, rinse and shampoo your hair.

Olive Oil Scalp Scrub for Dandruff Treatments Heat olive oil until warm, then add it to lime juice in a container. Then, dampen your hair in the shower and section off your hair into four parts. Using a cotton ball, dip it into the container and rub it against the scalp carefully preventing dripping. After applying it to the whole scalp, wrap your hair with a towel for 30 minutes allowing the treatment to sink in. Do this at least once a month to get rid of flakes.

Nice Lady

I love EVOO for using in my DC's because it helps even the conditioners that I am trying to get rid during pre-pooing.

Ivonnovi

Between Thanksgiving and Mid-January I averaged about a teaspoon/swig of EVOO everyday taken internally. I just permed my hair 2 weeks ago-realizing that it had been about 8 weeks since my last perm. (I've been very-very busy).

I noticed increased growth, and was amazed when I realized how long I'd managed to stretch between perms. I was totally amazed, and I'd only used curlaway once during that time.

My conclusion was:
Olive oil taken internally helps with visibly healthy and possibly increased hair growth.
The healthier new-growth makes "stretching" a bit easier.
Also for those who know of my "my thin scalp" post. I believe I see more hair/less scalp with this last perm.....and I'm so excited.
Though Curlaway helps with the stretching, 1 use would not have been enough to make MY new growth that managable.

Also, I did use grapeseed oil on my ends regularly during this time-frame to retain my ends. I must give grapeseed oil it's props on my new length.

chebaby

i just used evoo this past weekend for the first time ever and i love it. i mixed it in my pre poo and my deep conditioner and my hair was sooooooooo soft, it still is lol. i cant keep my hands out of my hair.
from now on i will always mix evoo in my conditioners.

pmichael52172

I noticed increased growth, and was amazed when I realized how long I'd managed to stretch between perms. I was totally amazed, and I'd only used curlaway once during that time.

My conclusion was:
Olive oil taken internally helps with visibly healthy and possibly increased hair growth.
The healthier new-growth makes "stretching" a bit easier.
Also for those who know of my "my thin scalp" post. I believe I see more hair/less scalp with this last perm.....and I'm so excited.
Though Curlaway helps with the stretching, 1 use would not have been enough to make MY new growth that managable.

This is true :yep:. I believe this is THE main reason my transition is going so well. Barely any hair in the sink between my two week washes because of this.

Lucky's Mom

EVOO - is so wonderful... I try to buy the best that I can afford. It is used for my face wash, cooking and hair conditioning. I should probably start taking it internally.

favorc

I loooove olive oil. I use it in my homemade cond. I love coconut oil too. It's the best thing that could have happend.:yep: