now I'm curious... Shea moisture

silenttullip

as far as I know it's produced by Nubian heritage I looked on 3 sites but they could be wrong... and looking at the soaps for Shea moisture seemed identical to Nubian heritage so I'm curious as to why wouldn't they just use the regular name and why wasn't it as popular when it was just Nubian heritage... Couldn't they have added the hair stuff to their current brand or did they have new management? After hours curiosity I guess but haven't ya'll wondered or am I missing something?
I guess my main reason is Shea moisture has two soaps for 6 something at walgreens when I used to get 6 Nubian heritage soaps for 10 brand new on ebay... Did they reformulated or what, I'm so clueless help a cousin out please???

Eisani

Hmm, I used the original Shea Moisture Shea Butter leave in years ago and it was always labeled as Shea Moisture. It was only $5/bottle then :ohwell:.

Harina

"Nubian" sounds probably too niche, too ethnic. The company prob wanted to expand and to reach more people. They either were forced, advised, or decided themselves to change the name so it didn't seem like only a black people thing. By expanding, they realized they could raise the prices to make even more money.

discodumpling

White folks were not buying this brand when it was sold at Nubian Heritage Stores. Plain & simple. the She Moisture brand was a spin off of NH and now they have repackaged most products to just say Shea Moisture. As a longtime user of the original products I can say YES the original formulae for some products has definitely been altered...that's why I stopped using them. The poo and con started smelling more "CHEMICALLY" once they started selling to the masses.

dachsies_rule!

So i went to Target today and ALL the Shea Moisture hair products were gone, except for one bottle of Moisture Milk. Now they have stocked another complete shelf with Nubian Heritage, a brand this location has never sold. I did buy some NH Repair and Extend conditioner w/ EVOO and Moringa to see how it is.

Does anyone know if they are phasing out the Shea Moisture products?

faithVA

So i went to Target today and ALL the Shea Moisture hair products were gone, except for one bottle of Moisture Milk. Now they have stocked another complete shelf with Nubian Heritage, a brand this location has never sold. I did buy some NH Repair and Extend conditioner w/ EVOO and Moringa to see how it is.

Does anyone know if they are phasing out the Shea Moisture products?

I did notice yesterday that there were Nubian Heritage products on the shelf.

Let me know dachsies_rule!; how you like the NH Repair.

I'm not sure if they are discontinuing Shea Moisture. I wonder if Target is trying to be more competitive by offering more of the product line than Walgreen. My Target had the full line of Shea Moisture yesterday which it didn't have 30 days ago.

KurlyNinja

Just got the curling soufflé today. LOVE IT! finally found an all natural "gel". Its keeping my curls so moisturized and they are so defined. I already use the deep moisture masque as a leavin so the two together heavenly. Adding it to the staples. I love when a line of products work together so lovely.

faithVA

Just got the curling soufflé today. LOVE IT! finally found an all natural "gel". Its keeping my curls so moisturized and they are so defined. I already use the deep moisture masque as a leavin so the two together heavenly. Adding it to the staples. I love when a line of products work together so lovely.

Wow, I think you may be one of the first I have heard that liked the curling souffle. Good to see a good testimony.

Mz.MoMo5235

Ok. Now I'm confused... Is NH replaced by SM or os SM being replaced by NH? Cause I use the SM Black African soap and I cant live with out it! I refuse to!!!

I also use the curling souffle on my edges during monsoon and love the stuff! I will be mad!!!!

NaturalEnigma

Ok. Now I'm confused... Is NH replaced by SM or os SM being replaced by NH? Cause I use the SM Black African soap and I cant live with out it! I refuse to!!!

I also use the curling souffle on my edges during monsoon and love the stuff! I will be mad!!!!

I think they're the same company. Its just that they have to different brands out in the market. They're plenty of other companies that do the same, for example Loreal, produces Kérastase, Redken, Garnier, and Softsheen-Carson haircare products. No need to stock up, both brands are not going anywhere.

greenandchic

I had no idea they were the same company until I started sniffing the NH body care products at Vitamin Shoppe and realized they were the exact same scents used in SM products. It was confusing because the about us "stories" about the the companies got started are somewhat different.

Mz.MoMo5235

I think they're the same company. Its just that they have to different brands out in the market. They're plenty of other companies that do the same, for example Loreal, produces Kérastase, Redken, Garnier, and Softsheen-Carson haircare products. No need to stock up, both brands are not going anywhere.

OH THANK GOD!!!

dachsies_rule!

I did notice yesterday that there were Nubian Heritage products on the shelf.

Let me know @dachsies_rule!; how you like the NH Repair.

I'm not sure if they are discontinuing Shea Moisture. I wonder if Target is trying to be more competitive by offering more of the product line than Walgreen. My Target had the full line of Shea Moisture yesterday which it didn't have 30 days ago.

faithVA: I finally got around to using it and i didn't like it at all. It left my hair crunchy and it was too perfumey (made-up word :grin:)...i'm mad 'cause it costs more than SM, i think i spent 12.99 on it.

faithVA

@faithVA: I finally got around to using it and i didn't like it at all. It left my hair crunchy and it was too perfumey (made-up word :grin:)...i'm mad 'cause it costs more than SM, i think i spent 12.99 on it.

hmm, DAChsies_rule, I swear perfumey is a word :lol:

Sorry you didn't like it. If you don't take it back try mixing some of it with a light oil. Sometimes the SM products are just too heavy to absorb into the hair and breaking it down with someoil can make a difference. For every oz of the product add 1/2 oz to 1 oz of oil.

empressri

Okay here's the thing.

Way back when the owner, starts with an R...I think..the dude...had the Nubian Heritage round my way years ago.

The prices were getting higher...and higher...till they were ridiculous then the store closed. (Plus they moved to a smaller store and the lady that worked in there was a NASTY witch)

SO was familiar with dude and when I showed him his picture on the shea moisture facebook page he said it was in fact the same guy.

Now I know both companies use the same lab out in amityville...and sometimes with businesses some go under and they resume it under a different name?? No idea if it's one of those cases.

Either way...ingredient wise stuff is damn near the same.

faithVA

Not sure what's up but something is. Walgreen's sale paper for next week shows Nubian Heritage products on sale buy 1, get 1 50% off. I didn't have any Nubian Heritage products in my Walgreen prior to this so they must be introducing the same line I saw at Target's a few weeks ago.

I will be stocking up so I can try some things. :yep:

MissPee

My hair has done well with their products. I def think something is up with the line though. For one every where I go Target, Walgreens , Duane Reed in NY the price has gone up! It's 11.99$ n up for everything. I also see the Nubian heritage line right next to it now and they cost even more. I don't know what up but FYI it's on sale this week online at Walgreens for 7.99$. I'm racking up before they change something besides the price.