Not greasing scalp = Dry, Damaged hair

EbonyEyes

On Saturday, I blowdried my hair semi-straight and asked my boyfriends mother to put cornrows in it. She commented that I had a nice grade of hair (whatever that means). She also said that if I relaxed my hair then my hair would be down my back (which I don’t believe for one second). But she told me that all of my hair will eventually break off if I don’t start greasing my scalp. I haven’t greased my scalp since I went natural last year and I thought my hair was doing fine without it. But she said that I must start greasing my scalp at least 3 times a week. I looked at what she was greasing my scalp with and the first three ingredients were petroleum, mineral oil, and lanolin so I’m wondering how greasing the scalp would help my scalp or my hair.

I told her that I conditioner wash my hair everyday with Pantene Smooth and Sleek and apply Always Instant Oil Moisturizer right after but she said that isn’t enough. But what is the point of greasing my scalp if I'm going to rinse my hair the next morning?

I didn’t want to argue with her but can you explain to me how greasing the scalp with a product that is petroleum based prevent my hair from breaking?

I’m just confused. Thanks!

-Ebony

NAY007

girl don't worry about greasing your scalp. just ask yourself this question:

is your hair healthy right now? is it growing? since you went natural, did you have any problems with your scalp or hair?

now if you can say no to two of these question then just keep doing what you've been doing. if you've been doing fine so far, then why add extra work and an extra product to your routine??? older people always think they HAVE to give you advice....:) just do your own thing.

soslychic

agreed, don't grease your scalp. I had my scalp greased for years with absoulutely no benefits. It clogs pores, does nothing to moisturize and my scalp always itched like crazy.

keke

Hmm i read alot herea bout Pantene Smooth and Sleek. Hmmm I have that bottle. It made my hair feel tighter in the sense that it would nto break easily. Hmmmm makes me think of finishing up that bottle. Everyday, eh? hmmmmm. i'll try that when im out of my braids, speakin of....I KNOW HOW TO LOCK THE FAKE HAIR IN2 THE HAIR NOW. YEEEAH FOR MEEE!!! YEEEAH. woo its been long enough.
:D:D:D

Nonie

Ditto what everyone has said. Your boyfriend's mother is just going by what majority of us had passed down through the generations. And old habits die hard. Don't let her apparent certainty distract you from what's been working for you. Instead continue to do what you KNOW to be right (and you don't have to tell her what it is you're doing). It's not always easy to point people in the right direction by word of mouth (many have their minds already made up). Sometimes you can accomplish more by example.
In a few years, when she sees your hair all nice, long and healthy, I betcha she'll more interested to know what your regimen and less forthcoming with her suggestions/advice. And I mean that in all kindness to her.

Petroleum and mineral oil clog pores, I'm not sure about the lanolin though I heard it's not good either. You can use this "grease" on your ends for protection, but I wouldn't put it on my scalp.
I conditioner wash everyday too. After getting out of the shower, I spray on my leave-in conditioner or just spray on my moisturizer (Worlds of Curls). After which I apply castor oil or coconut oil to my hair and plait up in the back with a Good Hair Day pin. Sometimes I don't apply oil, but I don't experience any dryness as long as I have put on my leave-in or moisturizer. HTH.

anikalia

If I don't "grease" my scalp it gets very dry, itches like crazy, which causes dry dandruff and my hair gets ashy and more prone to break. Not everyone can go without oil on their scalp. I've used natural oils but scalp moisturizers with petroleum seem to work better on me. Just my 2 cents.

CoCoChantel

It think it's whatever works for each individual person. I know it was hard for me to let go of greasing my scalp because every since I can remember it's been a habit and it always felt good to have my scalp greased....once you got by the comb out of course (hurt like a muh*%$@!)!! If you scalp doesn't crave it don't do it. Listen to your hair not other people because you'll pay the price for "good advice." Oooo that rhymes!!

Nacai23

I don't use grease either. It gives me dandruff bad.
Just use what's working for you.

I think the reason she told you that is because:

1. It's been handed down through the generations, like nonie said.

2. Our hair tends to be drier than others (straight textures). It's just the curly/kinky structure. It prevents the natural oils from traveling down the hair shaft. Leaving the hair dry and prone to breakage. Some of us use harsh shampoos that strip the natural oils from the scalp and whatever moisture the hair strand has. Some believe that we have to put back the moisture using these heavy oils. But as you have seen, If you use a mild/moisturizing shampoo, you won't have to use grease/oils on your scalp. Your natural oils will produce enough to keep the scalp simply healthy. I've done my research huh?

I'm constantly changing my routine, but I think I've come up with something good. I use a really mild shampoo from Elucence (contains no sls). And I use water and rosemary eo on my scalp. Now, my hair strand can become dry, but that's normal for my hair texture. So I use shea butter and olive oil on my ends. It's working. Hopefully, I can stick with this routine.

Just remember to do what works for you. If your scalp isn't flaking or your hair isn't shedding, don't grease your scalp.

northernbelle

Actually, greasing the scalp does have it benefits.

I think that we may be throwing away the baby with the proverbial bath water. My hair and scalp have *always* benefitted from greasing the scalp, massaging it in well, and brushing the hair.

So, greasing the scalp, in my humble opinion, is not as harmful as folks seem to belive.

northernbelle

Ipanema

I like to "grease" my scalp with body lotion. It leaves a nice, cool feeling. I figure that since my scalp is just skin (very dry skin), then lotion can work just as well on my head.

EbonyEyes

Thanks for your responses everyone! I asked another girl with pressed hair whether she greases her scalp. She says that she does it every other day. I asked her what the purpose of greasing your scalp is and she says that it prevents your hair from breaking at the root.

I don't know if I can trust her opinion because it's been a year since I've known her and her hair is the same length. She also said that she only washes her hair once a month because dirt grows hair. Well I've seen how far that's gotten her....

My hair is doing fine and is growing so I'm going to stick to what I'm doing.

Thanks,

Ebony

A_Christian

I stopped using grease a few years ago and my hair has been growing much faster since then. I think the grease was clogging my pores badly. Now I use essential oils on my scalp and that's only if I have an itchy spot here or there. However, I do know people who still use the petroleum/mineral oil type of grease directly on their scalps and their hair is still great. I agree with the idea that it may be beneficial or not depending on the person.

ms_kenesha

I haven't greased my scalp in at least a year probably closer to two or three. My mother always told my sister and I to grease our scalps and all it did was make me greasy
I've stopped and told my sister to as well and our hair is both longer than it's ever been. Petroleum attracts more dirt to your hair (that shouldn't be a problem for you since you rinse everyday though) and it can clog your pores so it's a no-no for me, but I do oil my scalp with jojoba oil occasionally and when I feel my scalp is dry. The only thing about jojoba oil is it will run everywhere!

inthepink

Instead of greasing my scalp, I moisturized my hair...close to the scalp. I don't apply directly to my scalp though. I guess I fear that it will clog pores. Mostly I do this to keep my new growth moisturized.

HotCoCoGurl130

Do whats good for you. I personally have to put something on my scalp b/c it is very dry. I put it on one nad its gone the next. Everyone is different.

jemini

I used to put grease on my scalp too,loooong ago.But I had to quit cause I've always hated the feel of grease on my hair
plus it just lays there. Then I tried natural oils. They were ok but I just don't like the idea of putting stuff on my scalp.Besides the scalp produces it's OWN oil. Therefore I try to avoid putting anything on it. My scalp's never felt better
But whatever works for you then you should stick to it.

Isis

The only time I "grease" my scalp is when I base it just before retouching my new growth with a relaxer. I know people who grease and those who don't and all have beautiful hair. Everyone is different. I think you should do whatever works for you.

skegeesmb

I have only had my scalp greased twice. One of my friends was doing my hair and she greased it for me. It was really shiny, but the next day, my hair itched something fierce and I had to wash it out.

My hair grows fine without a greased scalp. If my scalp itches I just wash or take some water and rub it on my scalp, I think the coolness just feels good. I must admit when I did get my scalp greased it felt really good.

So I try to have my husband message my scalp because of the feel good sensations.

anikalia

Norma I've pretty much used everything. I wet my scalp first with water and massage it in. Now I'm using Always Maximum Growth, THUG Dime Peice Grease and Doo Gro Triple Strength Hair Revitalizer. I also use jojoba oil mixed with rosemary sometimes on my scalp when I'm deep conditioning.

While I don't believe that ungreased/unmoisturized scalp will cause hair to break off at the root, it could be bad for those with dry scalps like me especially when new growth comes in. Matted and dry hair leads to breakage.

pebbles

[ QUOTE ]
A_Christian said:
I stopped using grease a few years ago and my hair has been growing much faster since then. I think the grease was clogging my pores badly. Now I use essential oils on my scalp and that's only if I have an itchy spot here or there. However, I do know people who still use the petroleum/mineral oil type of grease directly on their scalps and their hair is still great. I agree with the idea that it may be beneficial or not depending on the person.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with that. Personally, I stopped greasing my hair years ago and my hair is much better off.

NYCITY

I don't believe in greasing scalp, however sometimes i have a dry spot in the front and i'll apply some there. However, i do think it's best to moisturize ur ends instead. I use Always with Vitamin E

jaibee

i have to grease or oil my scalp or else it will look like i have snow in my hair. but i will only use a small amount and only put it on my scalp, not my hair. for those of you that do not have dry scalp and do not have to grease your scalp consider yourselves blessed. if i did not have this awful dry skin I would not do it either. I even get flakes in my eyebrows sometimes, that is how dry my skin gets.

I haven't used grease on my scalp since my perm days, and that hasn't stopped my hair from growing. I found that the grease actually made my scalp flaky.

simone103

I have to grease my scalp as well. I tried using oils, but they just don't lubricate my scalp well enough and it ends up being dry again. I've been experiencing shedding and breakage for at least two months, and I believe it was due to my scalp and hair being dry. So, I greased my scalp with sulfer 8 a couple of days ago (which I haven't used in a long time), and my shedding and breakage has almost completely stopped, it was like night and day. I'm thinking it must have something to do with my hair type, because I have 4b type hair (not a trace of 4a) which is very thick and coarse.

Junebug D

[petroleum, mineral oil]
Bad!
stay away from petroleum! It doesn't moisturize, it just makes the hair "look" moisturized or shiny, but all it really does is clog the pores. Clogged pores=bad for growth and health, I'd imagine. If you're going to grease your scalp,I'd say look for lighter cremes or natural oils that don't contain petroleum or mineral oil. I use carrot creme. I suffer from dry hair and scalp too, but I find that my flaking is a lot lighter and I don't have as much itching now that I dn't use "grease".