Do you grease your scalp?

ThatChick

Hi Everyone! I am new to the board. I noticed that most of you name conditioners, and hot oil treatments, but I was wondering if you all grease your scalp? If so, what products are best? Does greasing your scalp help grow your hair?

pebbles

Hi ThatChick,

Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/smile.gif I don't grease my scalp anymore. I used to think that it helped grow hair, but it doesn't, not for me anyway. Many professionals have also stated that greasing your scalp just clogs your pores. I have had more growth, faster since I stopped the practice of greasing my scalp. I think a lot of the ladies here have given up on the scalp grease as well. Some still do it of course. The other thing I hate about grease is that it always weighed my hair down, no matter what I did. Hope that helps! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nubianrose

hey ThatChick, I do still grease my scalp, but i use Sulfer 8 medicated original forumula. I think this grease stimulates the scalp and produces more growth becuz of the sulfur in it. Also when i apply it i feel my scalp tingling and i think that means that it is working.

Peachtree

Welcome to our "Healthy Hair Family" ThatChick /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I stopped greasing my scalp about 2 yrs ago only because my scalp would itch horribly. Now I know that the "itching" was a result of clogged pores...not to mention that back then, I also washed only once every 2 weeks /images/graemlins/shocked.gif
My hair grew at the same rate then (with greasing the scalp) as it does now (without greasing the scalp).

God Bless,
Peachtree

Eyvonne7131

Hi ThatChick,

WELCOME! Yes I do still grease my scalp...I grease it once a week and I use a very light pomade(optimum Light Control)...I use thier whole line of products.

I have read many say that greasing is not necessary, but I think that only YOU know your hair best...for many greasing still works....now as far as making your hair grow...I do not necessarily think it does that, but light grease allows me to control my hair better. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Not anymore. Greasing the scalp works for some people, but not me. My scalp isn't dry, so I don't need to put anything on it. I had my scalp greased as a child and I think my hair grew in spite of it! /images/graemlins/grin.gif I can still remember that awful feeling as the grease began to melt--it felt like something was crawling on my scalp!
Since I stopped using petroleum and mineral oil based products (about 5 or 6 years ago...) my scalp doesn't itch, my hair doesn't feel stiff and greasy and my hair is easier to shampoo.
When my hair feels dry, I put some petro and mo-free hair butter or moisturizer or pomade in my hands and run my hands through my hair.

LondonDiva

Hi and welcome to the board.

I no longer grease my scalp I oil it instead very lighty. I too have stopped using mineral and petroleum based products and my hair feels better for it. My hair itched like crazy when I used to grease my scalp.

G

Why yes! I do grease my scalp. It is a MUST for me.

After washing my hair, I rub Infusium Leave-In and Profectiv Break Free (or Mega-Growth if I am out of BF) on my scalp. Sometimes, I add Hot 6 oil on it while it's wet too. Then, when it is dry, I grease my hair AND scalp with Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil. I had stopped using the castor oil for a while, but when I started back about 3 weeks ago my hair thanked me! I woke up with some new growth, no joke! Gonna take some pics tonight. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

G

Oh and now, I am gonna replace the Hot 6 Oil with the Mega Moisture stuff from Profectiv. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

(and somebody on the Profectiv website can't spell.) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sweetcocoa

Not anymore. It was hard for me at first, but once I started rinsing and shampooing more often I haven't oiled my scalp in 2 years. So if I go for more than 3 days before I shampoo(or rinse)...my scalp starts to dry out..I figure it's like my skin..it just needs water. Also I think taking EPO is making a major difference in my hair and scalp as far as keeping the dryness away.

adrienne0914

i stopped greasing my scalp maybe 25 years ago when i first got the psoriasis. the grease made it worse. some people like having that coated feeling on it. some say as long as your products don't have mineral oil or petrolatum/petroleum jelly, you should be okay. i sometimes wonder if they're getting a bad rap though. when i was a child, my mother greased my scalp and my hair was pretty long. i definitely don't think greasing makes the hair grow faster though...

adrienne

Lita

I grease my hair but on my scalp i use Profectivs ( BreakFree) & the combo works well for me. Happy Hair Growing! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Lil English

yup i grease it once when i wash it just a LITTLE tho..which sulfur 8..i lyke how it make mah hair feel fresh n tingelyyy /images/graemlins/grin.gif

nijilah

I grease my scalp in the winter with my own invention. The carrier oil is jojoba. Then I add a few drops of the following essential oils: lavender, rosemary, ylang ylang, and sage. I wash my hair once a week and oil my scalp twice per week inbetween the wash. I get flakes on my scalp in the winter.

In the summer, fall, and spring, my scalp is unbelievably oily so I don't grease it.

MissM

Ugh! I have never been able to stand the feeling of grease on my scalp-even when I was little. I do, however, use jojoba oil in the winter months. It soaks right in and I remember one of the ladies saying it's closer to our own natural sebum the scalp produces. I also heard somewhere they are looking into the possibility of using this oil for hair replacement supplements. Oh, and welcome to the board /images/graemlins/grin.gif!

BlkMane

No, I don't grease my scalp. Never have. I'm more likely to apply WildGrowth Oil or Jojoba Oil to my scalp when it's wet, if I feel I need some additional moisture. And when I have applied any kind of greasy pomade to my hair when dry, it always leaves my hair looking too greasy and limp.

And, no, greasing your scalp will not make your hair grow--unless you are using some type of NON-petroleum, NON-mineral oil based grease that contains additives that increase growth: sulfur, rosemary oil, sage, etc. then MAYBE that would increase growth.

ms_kenesha

I haven't greased my scalp in about 3 years if not more. My scalp is never dry (I attribute that to my weekly or biweekly washings). It seems to me that the people who have the dryest scalps all grease their scalp and it's not really dry scalp, but grease buildup that makes it look white and flakey! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

auntybe

Since I am wearing a weave I grease my scalp with TCB hair food. When I am wearing my natural hair. I Oil my scalp with WGO and a jojoba grapeseed oil mix or aloe vera.

Robin41

I haven't used any petrolatum-based product since I started doing regular hot oil treatments. That took care of any scalp dryness and flaking problems.