Newbie Challenge 08 P2

Galadriel

Here are my updates for November. I'll start off by saying that i relaxed and ended my thoughts on transitioning. I'm happy that i did. I'm currently on my third week post relaxer. I was about to post pics yesterday but looked at my hair and i was really not pleased. My ends were uneven and so i got my mom to do a trim. The trim ended up being a cut,lol, but i was pleased. I am no longer APL but my hair looks much healthier.

Hair before cut

Hair after cut

Good for you! We're right in the same boat then :grin:. We'll get back to APL soon.

25Nona

Here are my updates for November. I'll start off by saying that i relaxed and ended my thoughts on transitioning. I'm happy that i did. I'm currently on my third week post relaxer. I was about to post pics yesterday but looked at my hair and i was really not pleased. My ends were uneven and so i got my mom to do a trim. The trim ended up being a cut,lol, but i was pleased. I am no longer APL but my hair looks much healthier.

Hair before cut

Hair after cut

Wow the trim did make a difference, your hair looks really thick and healthy.

KLomax

[

I just ordered some henna and indigo. I'm going to be asking you some questions about it Klo because i'm drying to try it. ;)

No, problem !!!

Hair before cut

Hair after cut
:heart2::heart2:Lovely :heart2::heart2:

KLomax

8/18/08 11/26/08

Here are comparison photos since I started using the Joico K-Pak line. My hair is flatter in the 2nd photo. (I used too much product). Anyway. I think I am MBL. I am going to add a monthly Aphogee for a while and see how my hair responds.

Last edited:

Galadriel

8/18/08 11/26/08

Here are comparison photos since I started using the Joico K-Pak line. My hair is flatter in the 2nd photo. (I used too much product). Anyway. I think I am MBL. I am going to add a monthly Aphogee for a while and see how my hair responds.

Congrats, Klo! Your hair is looking lovely :yep:.

TaurusAngel

8/18/08 11/26/08

You look like you're WSL Klo!!!! Your hair is lovely as always. :) Which Aphogee product will you be using? I really like the 2 min recon and 2 step protein.

Last edited:

KLomax

You look like you're WSL Klo!!!! Your hair is lovely as always. :) Which Aphogee product will you be using? I really like the 2 min recon and 2 step protein.
Thanks TA...I am adding the hardcore Aphogee 1x per month for the next 3 months...I previosly used the Kpak DPR weekly(2-5 min). I will continue to use Kpak on the weeks when I don't Aphogee. I really think it helped me retain length!!!

I don't know about WSL :blush:...next time I take pics I will use a tape measure or something around my waist.

I started a blog to try and track my progress. I have never blogged before so I hope they cut a sista some slack!!!

FindingMe

Ladies! Here's my November update. I got rid of some of those layers I hated, as well as the see-through ends (see pic below). My hair was a little bent because I wore an updo all day :grin: I'm about 2 inches away from APL--again--LOL. I'm thinking about weaving it up (especially since it's been raining).

OKKKK, I know I'm a month late, but how did I miss this?!!? YOUR HAIR IS SOOOO PRETTY!!! If I weren't so attached to my meager length, I would cut off to about shoulder length and have some really thick, healthy looking hair like yours...but I'm too chicken. I feel luxurious with the longer hair...:lachen:

Yes...I :heart2:Henna/ Indigo...I use them every other week. Henna makes my hair "appear" thicker...the indigo colors my hair a natural shade of black. I mix henna w/hot tap water and apply it. Here's a pic after henna/indigo.

Ummm, I have some henna and indigo, I have in the closet and I need to go ahead and take care of these roots...:lachen:Did you mix 50/50? Did you let the henna sit overnight and then mix the indigo in right before you were about to put in on? Or did you just mix the henna with indigo and then the water?

Howdy Girls, I'm sitting here on the edge of my seat watching the election results come in so I gravitated here because hair talk always eases my mind :grin: .

As already stated I'm so proud of us, we have been sticking it through, we all have had some trials and tribulations but we have been supportive of one another and holding each others hands to make it through.

FM, you've got it going on girl, with that hair of yours transitioning and still doin the dang thang. So "what U talkin bout Willis", I'm always so :lick: every time I look at your hair wishin and :pray:.

Pr3tty, you know better than us, but from your pics your hair is banging.

Klo, Taurus, and Mo you guys are always inspirations to me

Girl, thanks for the sweet words. I just feel like pr3tty, like it's kinda thin on the ends. Most people can't tell, but it's thin for my hair. I know it's due to my transition....I will try and henna tomorrow and roller set and wrap to get a length shot for the Dec update....

Hair before cut

Hair after cut

WOW!!!:drunk: Girl, your hair is the bizz-ness after that cut!!! SOOO pretty! That color is just hawt!:yep:

8/18/08 11/26/08

:notworthyI done told you, Klo to stop posting those pics, before I roll over and snip some off while you sleep.... watch your back!:lachen: Girl. Your hair is soooo pretty. :drunk:

Much love to my newbie sisters!!! :blowkiss:

Morenita

So I know Ive been going on and on about how much damage Ive done to my hair while detangling and its hard to realize just how bad it really is

Well here is a pic of the damage......

Pr33ty, I'm so sorry to hear that you're having issues. I too have problems being too rough with my hair when detangling. It can get frustrating, especially when you're impatient like me. What has helped me, is also similar tips to what Bign wrote. I too section my hair into 4 parts. Instead of using clips, I just do bantu knots and secure with elastics though. I also wash in the shower like she does. The downward motion REALLY helps. I even take a shower twice if I need to deep condition, or just leave it in overnight so I can shower the next morning. The one time I used the sink recently, I literally pretended like it was a shampoo bowl and bent over backwards. Not doing that again though...my aching back lol :lachen:

In addition, the right products can REALLY REALLY make a big difference. I've done a bit of trial and error and a LOT of research. So far, I've found 3 really great detanglers that work for me, and maybe will work for you as well 1.) Have to thank FM for this one, but Mixed Chicks Deep conditioner is da bomb! It has silicones though. 2.) Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana...this is my to die for new staple deep conditioner. I've been edging toward a silicone free regimen (except when wearing my hair straight, b/c then I use Sabino Moisture Block). This stuff is made of gold. It detangles like it has cones, but is cone free!!! It's the bananas I think. And it smells sooo yummy! Makes me want to eat it! :lick: 3.) My staple leave-in, which also doubles as a moisturizer Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee; it's by Qhemet Biologics and I can't stress enough how great it is. It smells like cocoa and chocolate! I like it so much because when I go to put moisturizer in my hair, all of my detangling efforts are out the door because my hair gets re-tangled as I put the stuff in. This product helps minimize the tangles as I moisturize. I hope this helps you some sweetie. Hang in there and remember that we're here to support you! :hug2:

why i didnt know about this.. welp looking forward to the new newbie challenge.. smh

:hiya: and :welcome: !!!

Hair before cut

Hair after cut

Taurus, your hair looks great! The decision to trim was a good one. I hate straggly ends too :p I'm also positive that your decision to relax was the right one for you and your hair. It will look beautiful no matter what you do as long as you continue your healthy hair efforts :yep: Don't regret it in the future if you ever decide to transition again.

8/18/08 11/26/08

Klo, your hair looks WL. I'll :dead: if it isn't lol... BEAUTIFUL :spinning:

Last edited:

Morenita

Ok ladies. here's my December pics. I straightened with my maxi-glide and did a 1-inch trim, my ends really needed it...So, I'm not as close to MBL as I thought anymore. I'm guessing bottom of BSL. Left: Before, Right: After.

And look at all of this new growth! I can't wait to chop lol. But don't worry, I'm attached to my length so it won't be happening for like 2 years (I think) :drunk:

FindingMe

Pr33ty, I'm so sorry to hear that you're having issues. I too have problems being too rough with my hair when detangling. It can get frustrating, especially when you're impatient like me. What has helped me, is also similar tips to what Bign wrote. I too section my hair into 4 parts. Instead of using clips, I just do bantu knots and secure with elastics though. I also wash in the shower like she does. The downward motion REALLY helps. I even take a shower twice if I need to deep condition, or just leave it in overnight so I can shower the next morning. The one time I used the sink recently, I literally pretended like it was a shampoo bowl and bent over backwards. Not doing that again though...my aching back lol :lachen:

In addition, the right products can REALLY REALLY make a big difference. I've done a bit of trial and error and a LOT of research. So far, I've found 3 really great detanglers that work for me, and maybe will work for you as well 1.) Have to thank FM for this one, but Mixed Chicks Deep conditioner is da bomb! It has silicones though. 2.) Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana...this is my to die for new staple deep conditioner. I've been edging toward a silicone free regimen (except when wearing my hair straight, b/c then I use Sabino Moisture Block). This stuff is made of gold. It detangles like it has cones, but is cone free!!! It's the bananas I think. And it smells sooo yummy! Makes me want to eat it! :lick: 3.) My staple leave-in, which also doubles as a moisturizer Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee; it's by Qhemet Biologics and I can't stress enough how great it is. It smells like cocoa and chocolate! I like it so much because when I go to put moisturizer in my hair, all of my detangling efforts are out the door because my hair gets re-tangled as I put the stuff in. This product helps minimize the tangles as I moisturize. I hope this helps you some sweetie. Hang in there and remember that we're here to support you! :hug2:

:hiya: and :welcome: !!!

Taurus, your hair looks great! The decision to trim was a good one. I hate straggly ends too :p I'm also positive that your decision to relax was the right one for you and your hair. It will look beautiful no matter what you do as long as you continue your healthy hair efforts :yep: Don't regret it in the future if you ever decide to transition again.

Klo, your hair looks WL. I'll :dead: if it isn't lol... BEAUTIFUL :spinning:

Ok ladies. here's my December pics. I straightened with my maxi-glide and did a 1-inch trim, my ends really needed it...So, I'm not as close to MBL as I thought anymore. I'm guessing bottom of BSL. Left: Before, Right: After.

And look at all of this new growth! I can't wait to chop lol. But don't worry, I'm attached to my length so it won't be happening for like 2 years (I think) :drunk:

:wow: :love: :shocked::wow:O-M-G!!!
Your-hair-is-off-the-chain!!! Girl, :urock:
I'm not worthy, I thought we were right in there together, but I just need to go on and bow down to the master...:worship2:...that's all ...:dead:

pr3tty

Girl your hair is just hot and those NG are looking sooo soft... I luv it... Im gonna have to try some of those products bc if i pull anymore hair out im gonna be hairless

pr3tty

8/18/08 11/26/08

Your hair is just getting nicer and nicer and I would say WL too:yep:

KLomax

:waytogo::waytogo::waytogo::waytogo:

Are you trimming your own hair !!!

Your hair is just getting nicer and nicer and I would say WL too:yep:

Thank you so much Pr3tty. Is your hair still tangling/breaking ? Have you tried to prepoo w/oil before detangling..then CW/DC ?

leona2025

Hey Ladies, here is my Dec update. I have my tried and true products down and I don't think I'll be changing anything soon. My hair is thriving and it's very healthy. I did get a 1 to 2 inch trim a few weeks ago and it got rid of all those ugly ends I was complaining about. I also have some razor cut layers which I am loving. I've been experimenting with trying different styles and now.... I am ready for color. I've been really loving 1940ish hair. :grin: I got lots of pictures.

FindingMe

Hey Ladies, here is my Dec update. I have my tried and true products down and I don't think I'll be changing anything soon. My hair is thriving and it's very healthy. I did get a 1 to 2 inch trim a few weeks ago and it got rid of all those ugly ends I was complaining about. I also have some razor cut layers which I am loving. I've been experimenting with trying different styles and now.... I am ready for color. I've been really loving 1940ish hair. :grin: I got lots of pictures.

:realitycheck:OK, that's it!!!! If another one of my newbie sisters busts up in here with doggone lovely unbelievable hair, I'm gonna go jump in the river or something...:drowning: :lachen:

Leona, OMG! WOW! Your hair is absolutely gorgeous!!! OMG...:bounceline:

leona2025

Thanks ladies. You guys are all such an encouragement. I never would have been able to keep with doing my hair and enjoying if not for my sisters here. Now I streeeeeeeeeching for mbl/wl next, lol, I don't know how long that will take. :grin:

Galadriel

Here's my December update (I got my hair done right before thanksgiving). I was 1.5 in. away from APL when I took this pic :grin:

I've basically been doing wet buns. I slather on conditioner (love Suave Humectant) and baggy my whole head and throw on my bonnet. I wake up in the morning and rinse, towel dry, moisturize and seal, then bun. I do this religiously. On Thursday mornings and Sunday evenings I wash. I'm terrible at remembering to clarify, but I get it in at least once every two months. I do a light protein treatment when I feel I need, it, but my hair is a moisture-lover for real! I've also been exercising and eating healthy, and I take supplements/vitamins and I use my MN mix and/or BT about once or twice a week. I'm trying to get to APL by Jan/Feb of '09. LOL, I had signed up for MBL '09 before I got my trim, so let's see if I can make it!

leona2025

Here's my December update (I got my hair done right before thanksgiving). I was 1.5 in. away from APL when I took this pic :grin:

I've basically been doing wet buns. I slather on conditioner (love Suave Humectant) and baggy my whole head and throw on my bonnet. I wake up in the morning and rinse, towel dry, moisturize and seal, then bun. I do this religiously. On Thursday mornings and Sunday evenings I wash. I'm terrible at remembering to clarify, but I get it in at least once every two months. I do a light protein treatment when I feel I need, it, but my hair is a moisture-lover for real! I've also been exercising and eating healthy, and I take supplements/vitamins and I use my MN mix and/or BT about once or twice a week. I'm trying to get to APL by Jan/Feb of '09. LOL, I had signed up for MBL '09 before I got my trim, so let's see if I can make it!

I looooooooooove your color. What color is that? Did you do it yourself? Can you see it indoors?

pr3tty

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGG.....SERIOUSLY MY MOUTH FELL TO THE FLOOR GIRL , IM SPEECHLESS SERIOUSLY.... HOW MANY WEEKS POST ARE YOU?

TaurusAngel

Leona, girl your hair is amazing!!!!!! I love the body it has....

My updates will be coming this weekend. Gotta wait to get home cause i suck at self done pics.

TaurusAngel

Galadriel!!!!! Girl!!!!! As soon as i posted about Leona's hair, here you go :giggle: Your hair looks amazing.

Morenita, your hair is so fab and long. Keep up the good work ladies!