Newbie Challenge 08 P2

Galadriel

I looooooooooove your color. What color is that? Did you do it yourself? Can you see it indoors?

Thanks! :grin:
It's Color Showers (Rojissimo). I had my hairstylist put it in when I got my hair done. She was like "What the heck is this?" but she (and I) loved the results. You can see it a little when inside and when there's light, but you can REALLY see it outside during the day time :yep:. I'm too chicken to bleach or lift the color of my hair, but I soooo want to do a light brown/caramel color next time.

Galadriel

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGG.....SERIOUSLY MY MOUTH FELL TO THE FLOOR GIRL , IM SPEECHLESS SERIOUSLY.... HOW MANY WEEKS POST ARE YOU?

Thanks, Pr3tty! And BTW, I LOVE your length! You're making awesome progress, and I hope you're bouncing back from that set back :yep:.

I think I'm roughly 36-38 weeks post.

LivingDoll

Here's my December update (I got my hair done right before thanksgiving). I was 1.5 in. away from APL when I took this pic :grin:

I've basically been doing wet buns. I slather on conditioner (love Suave Humectant) and baggy my whole head and throw on my bonnet. I wake up in the morning and rinse, towel dry, moisturize and seal, then bun. I do this religiously. On Thursday mornings and Sunday evenings I wash. I'm terrible at remembering to clarify, but I get it in at least once every two months. I do a light protein treatment when I feel I need, it, but my hair is a moisture-lover for real! I've also been exercising and eating healthy, and I take supplements/vitamins and I use my MN mix and/or BT about once or twice a week. I'm trying to get to APL by Jan/Feb of '09. LOL, I had signed up for MBL '09 before I got my trim, so let's see if I can make it!

hey girlie! your hair looks AMAZING!!! You making me seriously consider transitioning...

Everyone is doing soooo well!

Morenita

:wow: :love: :shocked::wow:O-M-G!!!
Your-hair-is-off-the-chain!!! Girl, :urock:
I'm not worthy, I thought we were right in there together, but I just need to go on and bow down to the master...:worship2:...that's all ...:dead:

FM you made me laugh out loud! Thank you! Hahaha! You're still my transitioning buddy though!!!!

Girl your hair is just hot and those NG are looking sooo soft... I luv it... Im gonna have to try some of those products bc if i pull anymore hair out im gonna be hairless

Thanks so much Pr3tty and gl!

Thank you so much Pr3tty. Is your hair still tangling/breaking ? Have you tried to prepoo w/oil before detangling..then CW/DC ?

Thank you Klo :) Yes, I'm doing my own trims. I'm not going to a salon ever again if I can help it, I just don't trust most stylists anymore. :look: I just part it in half and pull each half over my shoulder and go for the best, and do spot trims in the front/top/sides, which are shorter :spinning:

Hey Ladies, here is my Dec update. I have my tried and true products down and I don't think I'll be changing anything soon. My hair is thriving and it's very healthy. I did get a 1 to 2 inch trim a few weeks ago and it got rid of all those ugly ends I was complaining about. I also have some razor cut layers which I am loving. I've been experimenting with trying different styles and now.... I am ready for color. I've been really loving 1940ish hair. :grin: I got lots of pictures.

Gawgeous!!!! I have always loved razor cuts. I think I want layers eventually, but it won't be until after my transition is over at least. Your hair has gotten so long and it looks so healthy Leona. Great job!!

Here's my December update (I got my hair done right before thanksgiving). I was 1.5 in. away from APL when I took this pic :grin:

I've basically been doing wet buns. I slather on conditioner (love Suave Humectant) and baggy my whole head and throw on my bonnet. I wake up in the morning and rinse, towel dry, moisturize and seal, then bun. I do this religiously. On Thursday mornings and Sunday evenings I wash. I'm terrible at remembering to clarify, but I get it in at least once every two months. I do a light protein treatment when I feel I need, it, but my hair is a moisture-lover for real! I've also been exercising and eating healthy, and I take supplements/vitamins and I use my MN mix and/or BT about once or twice a week. I'm trying to get to APL by Jan/Feb of '09. LOL, I had signed up for MBL '09 before I got my trim, so let's see if I can make it!

Galadriel, your hair looks so pretty!!! The color looks really nice and I'm loving those blunt ends. You make me want to chop to SL so I can be like you :grin:

Galadriel!!!!! Girl!!!!! As soon as i posted about Leona's hair, here you go :giggle: Your hair looks amazing.

Morenita, your hair is so fab and long. Keep up the good work ladies!

Thank you Taurus!

KLomax

Hey Ladies, here is my Dec update. I have my tried and true products down and I don't think I'll be changing anything soon. My hair is thriving and it's very healthy. I did get a 1 to 2 inch trim a few weeks ago and it got rid of all those ugly ends I was complaining about. I also have some razor cut layers which I am loving. I've been experimenting with trying different styles and now.... I am ready for color. I've been really loving 1940ish hair. :grin: I got lots of pictures.

BEAUTIFUL :grin: You'll be MBL before you know it !!!

LUV that color :heart2:..... so healthy !!! How do you like the Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat? I'm going to add a leave in w/ceramides to my regi.

Galadriel

LUV that color :heart2:..... so healthy !!! How do you like the Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat? I'm going to add a leave in w/ceramides to my regi.

I love it! It makes my hair feel so soft. I even rub a little in my palms and put it on freshly flat ironed hair :yep:.

pr3tty

Klo

I can even find your post about my hair breaking but it is idk what im doing wrong bc it was the tangle thats was 1 time and I knew what I did but now Im getting shedding and my hair is breaking. I dont know if its the weather too much moisture or protein. I really feel like Ive had enough, I dont even have enough hair to be losing any. I just dont wanna even do this anymore sometimes. maybe ill stick around just to let u ladies know how well ur doing but this hair thing might be not be for me.

KLomax

Klo

I can even find your post about my hair breaking but it is idk what im doing wrong bc it was the tangle thats was 1 time and I knew what I did but now Im getting shedding and my hair is breaking. I dont know if its the weather too much moisture or protein. I really feel like Ive had enough, I dont even have enough hair to be losing any. I just dont wanna even do this anymore sometimes. maybe ill stick around just to let u ladies know how well ur doing but this hair thing might be not be for me.

Of course this is for YOU !!! :grouphug: I'm sure we can help you work it out. OK, lets have all of the details...products,styling, how often do you use heat,hair type etc...tell us everything.

pr3tty

[/b]

Of course this is for YOU !!! :grouphug: I'm sure we can help you work it out. OK, lets have all of the details...products,styling, how often do you use heat,hair type etc...tell us everything.

Well I was co-washing every other day for the past month which is new for me. I was using Keracare moisturizing conditioner or HE Breaksover. I dont use heat at all. I dont know my hair type but I have really fine hair. I shampoo once weekly with Keracare moisturizing shampoo and when I clarify i use ORS Aloe shampoo and I DC with silicon Mix.

The only thing thats new is someone told me to use a product called Grandma Wilkie and it would thicken up my hair. I got the oil, shampoo and conditioner. Ive used the oil 3 different times on my scalp and hair and shampoo and condition once. I checked the ingredients and it has petrolatum as the first thing. I did a search on here for petrolatum and it came back with a lot of bad reviews. When reading those posts I also saw that lecithin oil was a no no and thats in there also. The shampoo has none of these things but the oil and conditioner does. Im thinking this may have cause my shedding/breakage. I did clarify after the last use of the oil and I also did a protein treatment with nexxus emergencee then DC with AO Honey rose. I didnt see much hair after that but the next day it was back to losing alot of hair again. Im thinking if thats what caused it and Im no longer using this product then why is it still breaking/shedding my hair and what will I have to do for it to stop? I really dont know if its breaking or shedding so I say its doing both. Ive never seen my hair come out this much since ive started on this board. I havent comb my hair in a week I cornrowed it and im afraid to undo them, I just dont wanna deal with this.

KLomax

Well I was co-washing every other day for the past month which is new for me. I was using Keracare moisturizing conditioner or HE Breaksover. I dont use heat at all. I dont know my hair type but I have really fine hair. I shampoo once weekly with Keracare moisturizing shampoo and when I clarify i use ORS Aloe shampoo and I DC with silicon Mix.

The only thing thats new is someone told me to use a product called Grandma Wilkie and it would thicken up my hair. I got the oil, shampoo and conditioner. Ive used the oil 3 different times on my scalp and hair and shampoo and condition once. I checked the ingredients and it has petrolatum as the first thing. I did a search on here for petrolatum and it came back with a lot of bad reviews. When reading those posts I also saw that lecithin oil was a no no and thats in there also. The shampoo has none of these things but the oil and conditioner does. Im thinking this may have cause my shedding/breakage. I did clarify after the last use of the oil and I also did a protein treatment with nexxus emergencee then DC with AO Honey rose. I didnt see much hair after that but the next day it was back to losing alot of hair again. Im thinking if thats what caused it and Im no longer using this product then why is it still breaking/shedding my hair and what will I have to do for it to stop? I really dont know if its breaking or shedding so I say its doing both. Ive never seen my hair come out this much since ive started on this board. I havent comb my hair in a week I cornrowed it and im afraid to undo them, I just dont wanna deal with this.

Pr3tty, I am so sorry this is happening to you.

Ok, I have fine (fragile) hair as well...IMO manipulating the hair should be kept to a minimum (this is when most of my breakage occurs)....try to detangle w/oil ,using your fingers before you poo or CW.

You also indicated you have recently started to CW every other day. Why so often? How often were you CW'ing per week before this? What leave in are you using after you CW?

Since my hair is fine like yours I poo/cw once per week and use a moisturizing leave in every other day/as needed. NTM silk touch leave in really helped when my hair was dry and shedding/breaking every time I touched it !!!

You also had success with your protein/DC (good) ....afterwards what leave in did you use ? Be careful that the cornrows are not too tight...you don't want to stress the hair. Are you wearing the cornrows under a lacefront ?

Slow it down....you have a protein & DC that are working for you... next you need a good leave in....may I suggest that you add products to your regi SLOWLY and one at a time so that you can evaluate their effectiveness and how you hair responds.

Sorry for all the questions? :sekret:

I found the following thread very helpful:

Thread: Read this before you buy anything else!!!

Last edited:

leona2025

I just want to encourage you to keep going. It's only now almost a year since joining LHCF that I see my hair changing and actually looking and feeling healthy. I was so pissed when I seen some ladies be newbies and withing weeks it seemed like their hair was swinging and looking healthy. When I got started I was cowashing 3 times a week. I am down to shampooing and dcing once a week. I mix my protein and moisture conditioners together so I can get it all at once, the lazy mans way. I still have what I feel is too much shedding and breakage. I was at that point where I just wanted to cut it all off and start again. I still haven't figured out what to do to stop the breakage.

pr3tty

Pr3tty, I am so sorry this is happening to you.

Ok, I have fine (fragile) hair as well...IMO manipulating the hair should be kept to a minimum (this is when most of my breakage occurs)....try to detangle w/oil ,using your fingers before you poo or CW.

You also indicated you have recently started to CW every other day. Why so often? How often were you CW'ing per week before this? What leave in are you using after you CW?

Since my hair is fine like yours I poo/cw once per week and use a moisturizing leave in every other day/as needed. NTM silk touch leave in really helped when my hair was dry and shedding/breaking every time I touched it !!!

You also had success with your protein/DC (good) ....afterwards what leave in did you use ? Be careful that the cornrows are not too tight...you don't want to stress the hair. Are you wearing the cornrows under a lacefront ?

Slow it down....you have a protein & DC that are working for you... next you need a good leave in....may I suggest that you add products to your regi SLOWLY and one at a time so that you can evaluate their effectiveness and how you hair responds.

Sorry for all the questions? :sekret:

I found the following thread very helpful:

Thread: Read this before you buy anything else!!!

To be honest IDK why the hell I was co-washing so much maybe that may be the problem. I use to co-wash once per week before and wash and DC once weekly also. I use Lacio Lacio leave in which ive been using since I started. I think it may be the co-washing plus the new products Ive been using. I think im gonna stop buying new things and just go back to what I was using before when I join bc my hair did very well then. The braids are not tight bc I cant braid my own hair tight, yes I do this under my lacefront. Im also wondering if my hair is not getting enough moisture under the wig. I really cant even pinpoint the problem.

pr3tty

I just want to encourage you to keep going. It's only now almost a year since joining LHCF that I see my hair changing and actually looking and feeling healthy. I was so pissed when I seen some ladies be newbies and withing weeks it seemed like their hair was swinging and looking healthy. When I got started I was cowashing 3 times a week. I am down to shampooing and dcing once a week. I mix my protein and moisture conditioners together so I can get it all at once, the lazy mans way. I still have what I feel is too much shedding and breakage. I was at that point where I just wanted to cut it all off and start again. I still haven't figured out what to do to stop the breakage.

Girl I am trying so hard to just be good and think of this as something I will get over but I hair fine baby hair I cant afford to shed or anything bc then I will hair no hair. I just dont know

TaurusAngel

So here are my progress pics. I'm currently 6 weeks post going into my 7th week. I washed, blow dried, flat ironed, and did the saran wrap thing and my hair came out so soft. I'm definitely gonna do this to help me stretch longer.

lol, ladies, i am so sick of this hair color. It has never lasted as long as this has. I'm going to get a black rinse when i relax to sustain me from touching the permanent stuff.

Galadriel

So here are my progress pics. I'm currently 6 weeks post going into my 7th week. I washed, blow dried, flat ironed, and did the saran wrap thing and my hair came out so soft. I'm definitely gonna do this to help me stretch longer.

lol, ladies, i am so sick of this hair color. It has never lasted as long as this has. I'm going to get a black rinse when i relax to sustain me from touching the permanent stuff.

WOW! You can just see the shine and the health :yep:. Good job!

KLomax

SUH WEEEET !!!! :heart2: You did a great job TA :grin:

KLomax

I love it! It makes my hair feel so soft. I even rub a little in my palms and put it on freshly flat ironed hair :yep:.

I used the Butter Treat on my hairline and smoothed it down w/a soft brush ...after it dried I notice fine white flakes. :perplexed May be I should try it on towel dried hair ?

FindingMe

Thanks! :grin:
It's Color Showers (Rojissimo). I had my hairstylist put it in when I got my hair done. She was like "What the heck is this?" but she (and I) loved the results. You can see it a little when inside and when there's light, but you can REALLY see it outside during the day time :yep:. I'm too chicken to bleach or lift the color of my hair, but I soooo want to do a light brown/caramel color next time.

daggggg, you bout to make leave this natural henna stuff alone and take it back to the Color Showers that worked for me....:perplexed I hate when I see stuff like this and wanna switch up...

but, ANYWHOO, YOUR HAIR IS SOOOOOOOOOOO lovely! :spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning:

FM you made me laugh out loud! Thank you! Hahaha! You're still my transitioning buddy though!!!!

...yep....:yep:...in it for the long haul...8 months and counting

Whyyyyyyy ya'll gotta be adding in something about some butter and stuff with her hair looking like that...ya'll know i am in PJ anonymous...going to meetings regularly and everything...:rolleyes:

[/b]

I agree, Pr3tty. Maybe you should just take it back to basics and do exactly what you were doing when your hair was doing well...i have gone back to the basics and just joined a KISS challenge. My hair seems to do better when I do the minimum and just leave it alone...

:yep: L-O-V-E-L-Y!!!

Ya'll are killing me with these progrress updates! It's so funny 'cause the grass is always greener...I WANT your color...:lachen:

Ya'll, I am just too doggone lazy right now to do anything other than a braidout or a bun...I promise I will post a straightened length check next month once I catch a breather after the holidays...I would have to roller set to do that though and my Pibbs is in the closet trapped in and being held hostage bya ll the Christmas gifts that I need to wrap, pack and mail to friends and family:blush:

Galadriel

I used the Butter Treat on my hairline and smoothed it down w/a soft brush ...after it dried I notice fine white flakes. :perplexed May be I should try it on towel dried hair ?

Yes. The only time I put it on wet/very wet hair is on my length and ends.

Platinum

I've been using a lot of Ayurvedic powders and oils lately. I must say it has worked wonders for my hair. My hair has gotten stronger. The only thing I regret is not starting Ayurveda when I first joined site.

TaurusAngel, your hair looks great!:yep: Keep up the good work!

Morenita

I got my ayurvedic herbs and oils from the mailbox yesterday. I will try them out on Friday. I am committing myself to only co-washing and deep conditioning twice a week no matter what new products I want to try lol! I am convinced that I need to manipulate my hair like 0%, so I'm going to do a pony-rollerset for Christmas and then stick to bunning for like forever :look: I think this would help you also Pr3tty.

I think that it's my transition that is causing my hair to break of so badly, and since that's not ending anytime soon, I need to figure out a better way to deal with it. I'm going to try to stay out of my hair as much as possible. I'm going back to what I know: Cowash in the shower. Drench my hair in conditioner. CAREFULLY detangle it using the conditioner, while sticking my head under the running shower water. Put it in a pony while still in the shower. After I get out, moisturize with almost no manipulation. Bun it up. Tie on scarf. Go to bed! Rinse and repeat in 3-4 days. Lowmani for me from now on. My ends are way too thin and I'm fighting the urge to chop to APL big time.

I also ordered a bunch of stuff from Hairveda after reading a thread a couple of weeks back about how :lick: the products are. Can't WAIT to try them. I'm a conditioner/moisturizer junkie :grin:

Anywho, just wanted to say that Taurus your hair is lovely!

Last edited:

Galadriel

I've been using a lot of Ayurvedic powders and oils lately. I must say it has worked wonders for my hair. My hair has gotten stronger. The only thing I regret is not starting Ayurveda when I first joined site.

TaurusAngel, your hair looks great!:yep: Keep up the good work!

Can you tell us what ayurvedic powders/oils you've been using? Please? :grin:

Galadriel

FM! I finally got around to trying the Mixed Chicks deep condish, and I LOVE it! Thanks for putting me on to it.

TaurusAngel

I got my ayurvedic herbs and oils from the mailbox yesterday. I will try them out on Friday. I am committing myself to only co-washing and deep conditioning twice a week no matter what new products I want to try lol! I am convinced that I need to manipulate my hair like 0%, so I'm going to do a pony-rollerset for Christmas and then stick to bunning for like forever :look: I think this would help you also Pr3tty.

I think that it's my transition that is causing my hair to break of so badly, and since that's not ending anytime soon, I need to figure out a better way to deal with it. I'm going to try to stay out of my hair as much as possible. I'm going back to what I know: Cowash in the shower. Drench my hair in conditioner. CAREFULLY detangle it using the conditioner, while sticking my head under the running shower water. Put it in a pony while still in the shower. After I get out, moisturize with almost no manipulation. Bun it up. Tie on scarf. Go to bed! Rinse and repeat in 3-4 days. Lowmani for me from now on. My ends are way too thin and I'm fighting the urge to chop to APL big time.

I also ordered a bunch of stuff from Hairveda after reading a thread a couple of weeks back about how :lick: the products are. Can't WAIT to try them. I'm a conditioner/moisturizer junkie :grin:

Anywho, just wanted to say that Taurus your hair is lovely!

Thanks so much Morenita. I so need to get into the whole protective styling thing. Its hard though. I love my heat. I think i can retain more if i did. I am currently on my 8th week and I want to stretch until February. If i do so, i definitely want to protective style my way there.
can someone post a link where i can join PLLLEAASSE :)

Welcome Afro!!!!! Fm pretty much summed it up for you :)

Galadriel

Ladies! These will serve as my Jan. 1 update pics :yep:.
I got my hair done Christmas Eve and had a '40s type hairdo. It was cute, but then it was hard for me to do a length check.

Here's me at a relative's Christmas Eve party (yes, I actually went into their bathroom and took pics of myself :grin:):

When I got home, I wrapped my hair so it could "flatten" and I could do a length check. As you can see, my left side still held some of the curl and was a bit bent:

I think I will be able to claim APL again by next month :yep: