Need More Gel, Glaze, Pomade Suggestions

Bulletproof

tHicK hAIr dOn't CarE
I have unslickable edges, I will upload a photo of them dry with nothing on them. I have searched the hair forum and bought the following

Elasta QP Feels like Silk
Murray's Superior
Long Aid Activator Gel
ORS Smooth-n-Hold Pudding
Kids Organics Soft Hold Olive Oil Conditioning Smoothing & Styling Gel
IC Fantasia Hair Polisher Styling Gel
Eco Styler Olive Oil Styling Gel
IC Fantasia Hair Polish Pomade
Aloe Vera Gel (Really bad makes my hair dry)
None of these worked period at all wet, damp, dry as well as the scarf method. I have also tried with moisturizer then the gel and without moisturizer and just the gel.

Elasta QP Glaze with Olive Oil
Elasta QP Glaze old formula
Black N Sassy Style Smoother
These all worked to slick and smooth my edges but within an hour they wear off. I have tried light and heavy applications, wet, damp and dry as well as the scarf method. These gels even though the wear off make my hair feel great and actually retain the moisture in my hair and keeps my hair soft. I assume it is because they all have lots of glycerin. They actually keep my hair softer than any of the moisturizers I have tried so far. So I have learned my hair probably wants a glycerin based moisturizer, so that is a plus because one day I will get around to making one.

I have also tried Elasta QP Mango Butter and Castor Oil. They smooth my hair but not slick enough. I really would just like to find one product that I can use when I want to use a none-kinky textured wig.

Be back with edges photo.

These photos are after wash, condtion, airdry, no leave in and slept in without a scarf. I have coarse, thick strands, when I add leave-in the longer edges naturally set in penspring coils. Yes I am hairy, don't tease me.

Attachments

• Yes I am hairy.jpg
    Yes I am hairy.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Welcome to the Wilderness.jpg
    Welcome to the Wilderness.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Let me go moisturize my SitcheeAshun.jpg
    Let me go moisturize my SitcheeAshun.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Unruly Edges.jpg
    Unruly Edges.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 41
  • These photos make me look like a 5head.jpg
    These photos make me look like a 5head.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
The only gel I use which contains no protein, or alcohol is Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera gel or their Vitamin E oil. I have been using their gel for over almost 2 years and it's doing fine for me. When I'm over 10 weeks it can tackle the heck out of my NG. I prefer the Aloe Vera gel when I want a strong, but not dry looking hold, and the Vitamin E when I want a light to median hold with extra moisturizing.

tricie

Bulletproof

tHicK hAIr dOn't CarE
You may want to try Softee Protein Styling Gel Super Freeze
You may also want to try Hick's edges
Oh man old school, I will try Softee,Thanks. Hicks and Keracare are my last options because I really don't want to pay 15+ bucks for a gel, so I am trying to exhaust all beauty supply options first.

The only gel I use which contains no protein, or alcohol is Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera gel or their Vitamin E oil.
You reminded me to add Aloe on the list of no go's but I will try the Vitamin E oil.

artec texture line texture shine

syntonics edge define

keracare edge smoother

lusters pink shining jam

Have never heard of most of these. Wee off to the store I go.
Garnier wet shine gel.....max. hold
I have 2 Garnier products to try today as well so I will add this to the list of today's experimentation.

I swear the New York Meetup I am just dropping all the ones that dont work for me on a table, I hope someone needs to experiment with edge taming too.

MilkChocolateOne

Have never heard of most of these. Wee off to the store I go.

The luster's pink product ranges in price from $3.50 - $5.00 depending on where you purchase it from. I've seen it at beauty supply stores, sallys and sometimes cvs. There are two different packages but it's the same formula. The product is a little thicker than let's jam. It holds longer and it's not greasy.

here's a picture of the old and new packaging

the artec texture shine can be found at trade secret, beauty brands or ulta. It's really thick and provides a nice hold. It's not greasy. It usually costs $12 a jar but I purchased it from Ulta for $4 a jar during a sale.

kittykhat

Ecostyler gel!!! :yep: I use the clear one--max hold of ten. Doesn't leave my hair hard because a little bit goes a long way.

Last edited:

beautyaddict1913

It could be your technique. I spray the front of my hair with water/glycerine, then put on the fruit of the earth aloe vera gel, then put a little mango butter on top. Then I lightly brush and utilize the scarf method for at least 15 minutes. If you havent given up, I would try a combo and make it work bcuz you have all the gels in the world there is no need to go buy more!

classychic1908

Do you use a brush to smooth the gel into your hair? I've been using my Denman to smooth my edges lately, just one side or one row of bristles. I also find that my hair slicks better when I have less oil in it. Have you tried using a gel combo? Like LA gel under the Eco styler or Fantasia IC gel? Then tie down with scarf until it sets.

HTH

Last edited:

Barbara

Princess
Try Verifen Complex Hairline Essential Cream. It might work.

Castor oil seems to lay down my edges.

Last edited:

brucebettye

I used to fell that way about my edges, but I have found a solution that works for me. I put scurl or carefree curl on my edges and make them moist, then I put whatever gel I am using over it and my hair drys nice and laid down. I don't even need to use a brush or scarf to lay them down. I just use my hands and that is it. Give it a try. Also brown gel always lays down any type of edges.

tricie

One other thing that works really well for me is the American Crew pomade (the one with the light peach top). It's a men's product, I think, but it lays down my edges really well!

Shananyganz

To slick my edges. I spray them lightly with Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 and smooth with soft bristle brush, then I apply EcoStyle Gel slick and then follow it with a small amount of BeesWax (I know it contains mineral oil, but my hair has faired fine and this is what work for me) and slick. I then tie down with a scarp and BAMM! Slick edges. I discovered this method (moisturizer, gel, pomade combo) due to trial and error. I tried A LOT of products and my hair just side eyed them. It wasn't until I did the combo that I had succces. I stay on my wash regimen, but as I said, no issues here.

I see on your list that you already have EcoStyle and Murrays (to me this is similar to BeesWax, no?), forgive me if you addressed, but have you used one on top of the other after mositurizing the edges?