Neck Length to Past your Shoulders - How long did it take?

pyxis777

Hey Ladies,

Everyone pretty much agrees that getting from base of neck length to past your shoulders is one of the biggest hurdles in hair growth because the ends brush against the shoulders.

Has anyone here achieved this growth milestone WITHOUT using protective styles every day?

If so, how long did it take you?

Please let us know your hair type as well.

planodiva

Definitely need to know this "secret to sucess" because I feel as if I will never get pass my shoulders

MissYocairis

pyxis777 said:
Hey Ladies,

Everyone pretty much agrees that getting from base of neck length to past your shoulders is one of the biggest hurdles in hair growth because the ends brush against the shoulders.

Has anyone here achieved this growth milestone WITHOUT using protective styles every day?

I did it but I bunned it 3 weeks out of each month. But, anyway, I was neck length feb 1st, 2005, and, when I retouched on Dec 13th, I was armpit length. But, again, my most important practices was reduced heat, bunning, frequent co-washing, weekly deep cond., & MTG.

Healthb4Length

CantBeCopied said:
I did it but I bunned it 3 weeks out of each month. But, anyway, I was neck length feb 1st, 2005, and, when I retouched on Dec 13th, I was armpit length. But, again, my most important practices was reduced heat, bunning, frequent co-washing, weekly deep cond., & MTG.

ITA with everything you've said. Espacially reducing heat, I always only the last 3 inches of my ends and I that has saved my ends, I only do 2 or 3 trims a year.

MissYocairis

karezone said:
How do you get neck length hair into a bun w/out causing stress.

When I first started, I did a LOT of buns and my length was base of neck. I made sure to use the "ouchless" elastics (with no metal on them) and I soaked them in EVOO. I only used EVOO-soaked bands on my buns, no deviation whatsoever. I also did a lot of baggie method buns, usually at night, or, underneath a phony pony. I didn't use a phony pony too much because of the combs (and , I didn't feel safe wearing it if it was not secured with the comb, but the comb seemed to be irritating to my strands and scalp). I also alternated between back buns, low buns, higher buns, and side buns so as not to put too much strain on one area of my nape.

pyxis777

Thanks, Ladies.

So so far we have:

CantBeCopied at about 10 months, and Starian at about 4 months...

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

alexstin

Well, I wear my hair in a flexirod set most of the time. I'm not sure exactly but it was 9 mos or less. I say this because I remember getting a relaxer in Sept(9th month) and it was past my shoulders.

freedom

new girl here,
My hair is neck length also after combed out and I have been wondering about bunning. I tried today after my cow to bun with the ouchless hair things but I just tucked my ends under with some shea butter on them. That didn't really seem like a good idea because after repeatedly doing this I'm sure my ends wouldn't like it. Any suggestions?

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Well when I first joined I was neck length but I was also about 8 wks post relaxer, I didn't relax until wk 16 and I was touching shoulder then, so I would say it took me about 8mths, because by next relaxer I was past shoulder, I mainly did braids (because it was my first stretch), rollersets, and a ponytail when I wanted to make hairday easy. (just airdry in a moisturized pony and go until next wash day).

ayoung

Well, i am at the base of my neck now and very encouraged.
Glad to see I may be at/past shoulder by the end of the year!

KiSseS03

Starting from a little shorter than neck length, it took me about 7 months to reach a comfortable shoulder length.

I started from a fresh cut and wore braids for about 2.5 months (2 sets for 6 weeks each). Then went into protective styling mode for another 2.5 months (mainly rollersets pinned up). I used no heat for that whole 5 months (that was the most important part in my opinion). For the final 2 months I used heat once, but wore my hair down a bit more since it was the summer.

longhairluva

I cut my hair right to my ears in June 05 2005 and I was shoulder length by Dec 2005 and I wore my hair down everyday. I made sure to put conditioner on my ends everynight and co washed every three days or so. I can't wait to get to APL.

sylver2

pyxis777 said:
Hey Ladies,

Once my hair reached necklength It grew pretty quickly, probably within 2-3 months it got past shoulders. I never wore protective styles. I wrapped every night and wore out everyday.

MissYocairis

pyxis777 said:
Thanks, Ladies.

So so far we have:

CantBeCopied at about 10 months, and Starian at about 4 months...

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

10 months from base of neck to Armpit Length. A good solid below shoulder length, I was hitting in June. So, that would have been 5 months.